Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2016, 07:20 PM   #1

Filling fresh water tank

We had a great second weekend camping. Only one problem is that we ran out of fresh water Saturday night. I fairly certain is that we didn't fill the tank properly.

Please tell me your best solution to know when the tank is full.

Secondly what is the best method to add water to the tank when you don't have a supply at the campsite. I was thinking about having dedicated jerry cans for ferrying water to the site and then siphoning it into the tank.

Thanks in advance for the responses.
Navymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:19 PM   #2

Fellow Squid??

So we had a similar situation over Memorial Day weekend. Our issue is the tank auto-siphoned 2/3 of our fresh water on the drive to our destination. So once we made that discovery, we had to figure something out. 4 adults for 3 1/2 days and only 1/3 tank of water is not gonna work.

What worked for us, Walmart had 5 gal jugs of water for like 11 bucks with a 6.50 exchange rebate. So we snagged a few of those and a funnel from the auto section. To make it work, I took the flexible hose connector that I already had: and stuck it in the fill hole. Then, put the funnel into the end of that and had my buddy hold it all in place while I dumped the water in.

I'm sure there's better options out there, but in a pinch on our shake down trip, this worked.

Good luck!
Old 06-13-2016, 05:00 AM   #3

Yes. Still serving. RCN.

thanks for the idea. Still trying to figure out best method to know when tank is full besides water shooting out the fill hole. Lol.
Navymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:48 AM   #4
Canadian Member

I also have 3 water containers (about 5 or 6 gallons each) that I bought at Canadian Tire and use to bring water to our TT. I've been using the same method that GSD_Gunner has been using but without the flexible hose connector. I just bought a new Shurflo 12V water pump that I installed yesterday and I'm going to rig up the old pump to pump the water from the jugs into the FW tank inlet. No more holding the jug in the air and getting wet in the process.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:41 PM   #5

We can actually SEE our tank from our outside storage. But, what we usually do, is when it start shooting out. Turn off the water. Let it all settle down... then start filling again VERY, VERY slowly, until water starts coming out again. Learned that lesson the hard way, too!

This SLOW FILL will allow you to get it FULL.

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:54 PM   #6

I use Aquatainers from Walmart and other places. I have a 12v bilge pump that will fit inside them, 12v cord plugs into an outlet I added nearby. Run hose from pump into fill opening.
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:44 PM   #7
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navymike View Post
We had a great second weekend camping. Only one problem is that we ran out of fresh water Saturday night. I fairly certain is that we didn't fill the tank properly.

Secondly what is the best method to add water to the tank when you don't have a supply at the campsite. I was thinking about having dedicated jerry cans for ferrying water to the site and then siphoning it into the tank.

We purchased a funnel that has a long neck and a chain that hooks on a small bracket that has stickum applied to the back and adheres to the side of the trailer above the filler hole. Then we bought a 2.5 gallon plastic bucket and labeled "Potable Water Only" and store it in a plastic sack when not in use. We sanitize it at the biginning of the season, too.
Using a bucket at the campsite instead of a jug keeps an air gap between the faucet and the container. Better safe than sorry!
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:48 PM   #8
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikerBob View Post
We purchased a funnel that has a long neck and a chain that hooks on a small bracket that has stickum applied to the back and adheres to the side of the trailer above the filler hole. Then we bought a 2.5 gallon plastic bucket and labeled "Potable Water Only" and store it in a plastic sack when not in use. We sanitize it at the biginning of the season, too.
Using a bucket at the campsite instead of a jug keeps an air gap between the faucet and the container. Better safe than sorry!
Also, let the tank breath a little when it "backfires" all over you.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:59 PM   #9

Pump

We use a 12v pump that I bought on amazing for $30. It's made for potable water. I then used a "7 way vehicle side receptacle" so that I could draw the 12 volts from my tow vehicle cord. Our fresh water fill is up is on the from if the unit. I would have loved to use the outside shower and winterizing setup but the outside shower is at the back of the RV. It may take 10-15 minutes to drain a 7 gallon container but my back sure feels better. I even bought a collapsible 2 wheel cart for shuffling the water containers. We have a 30 gallon fresh water tank and we usually travel with another 25 gallons when we go to the 40 acres where water is 5 miles away.
oldcomputerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:23 PM   #10
TGR

I recall reading a post on this site where the winterizing draw tube was used to pull water from the 5-gallon water jugs and the outside show was used to fill the freshwater tank through the gravity fill.

You might have to extend the winterizing tube and clean and sanitize it before doing this, but if your RV is capable of doing this, I would consider this method.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:30 PM   #11

We use a 6 gallon plastic water container which has a built in spout. Put it on a folding Craftsman dolly for easy transportation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Nothome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:06 PM   #12

We use the collapsible 5 gal water containers from Amazon. 3 different brands available and when not in use, they collapse flat.

https://www.amazon.com/5ive-Star-Gea...ater+container
Old 06-13-2016, 11:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Yes. Still serving. RCN.

thanks for the idea. Still trying to figure out best method to know when tank is full besides water shooting out the fill hole. Lol.
First thing, we assume your tank is a gravity fill like most of us. Second , be sure you are level when you fill. Fill with a flex tube or hose in the filler. Fill slowly until it is coming out the overflow and backing up in to your face ( if yer not careful)

Fill slowly to be sure that you give time for the water to push to air out and so you do not wind up putting so much pressure in the system that you rupture your tank or blow fill lines apart.

I got a hose end water meter, so I know for sure how much water i put on board. I learned that our 160 gal water tank system only holds 152 gal and I can tell how much water weight I can plan with when I am watching total load weight .

Oh also, we had to learn submarine shower years ago when we had a camper with just 30 gal FW to get us through the trips.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGR View Post
I recall reading a post on this site where the winterizing draw tube was used to pull water from the 5-gallon water jugs and the outside show was used to fill the freshwater tank through the gravity fill.

You might have to extend the winterizing tube and clean and sanitize it before doing this, but if your RV is capable of doing this, I would consider this method.
But remember. Gravity is free and filling per the above puts wear on the pump AND uses a bunch of battery, if you are not on electrical hookup.

The guy who said he had a buddy help was smarter than me. I have nearly broken myself holding a six gallon jug on my shoulder with one hand holding the fill spout with the other..
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:48 AM   #15

If you search Fresh Water fill you will find a lot more info,,, I have found as a lot of owners have found that by making a hose a couple of feet long,,, that you can put down the filler,,, as long as you have a free flow fill tube,,, and run water very slowly,,, you will be able to fill completely,,, do not forget,,, HW heater may hold 5 gallons !!!
Also your air vent must be clear,,, no water backing up in it !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
But remember. Gravity is free and filling per the above puts wear on the pump AND uses a bunch of battery, if you are not on electrical hookup.

The guy who said he had a buddy help was smarter than me. I have nearly broken myself holding a six gallon jug on my shoulder with one hand holding the fill spout with the other..
You must be a lot younger & stronger that I am Tom,,,
There ain't no way I could do that !!!
LOL !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:01 AM   #17

Quote:

Others have provided good ideas on filling so I'll mention, wash dishes in a dish pan (no running water) and take Navy showers. Camping is not like work no need to shower and shave every day JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:18 AM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post

I have used the antifreeze inlet to ingest water into my plumbing system with several different rigs over the years. Your camper's pump doesn't care where it sucks the water from so there's no need to refill your fresh water tank.

Also, when sucking out of a jug with the water pump, your rig uses no more pump or battery than it would if you sucked it out of the fresh tank. (after refilling the tank by pouring it into the fresh water fill port)

There's no need to 'break yourself' holding a jug and pouring into the fresh water fill port.

I don't even take the jugs off the back of the truck.
Once my on-board tank runs dry, I turn off the pump, I get out my fresh water hose, hook to the antifreeze port, stick the other end down into the bottom of the water jug, (stuff a clean rag around the hose where it goes into the jug to hold it) turn the selector valve from drawing from the fresh water tank to drawing from the antifreeze port and turn the pump back on. It is that simple. When one jug runs out... switch the hose to the next jug. Takes all of a few seconds.

A water bladder or a larger tank on the back of the truck would be easy too!
Someday I'll go that route but I've had 4 of the six gallon water jugs for years and can't see any reason not to continue to use them as long as they are OK.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I have used the antifreeze inlet to ingest water into my plumbing system with several different rigs over the years. Your camper's pump doesn't care where it sucks the water from so there's no need to refill your fresh water tank.

Also, when sucking out of a jug with the water pump, your rig uses no more pump or battery than it would if you sucked it out of the fresh tank. (after refilling the tank by pouring it into the fresh water fill port)

There's no need to 'break yourself' holding a jug and pouring into the fresh water fill port.

I don't even take the jugs off the back of the truck.
Once my on-board tank runs dry, I turn off the pump, I get out my fresh water hose, hook to the antifreeze port, stick the other end down into the bottom of the water jug, (stuff a clean rag around the hose where it goes into the jug to hold it) turn the selector valve from drawing from the fresh water tank to drawing from the antifreeze port and turn the pump back on. It is that simple. When one jug runs out... switch the hose to the next jug. Takes all of a few seconds.
Great idea I'm going to try your system next time I'm out, this is the first rig I have had that has the antifreeze fill port
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Great idea I'm going to try your system next time I'm out, this is the first rig I have had that has the antifreeze fill port
Yeah, my XLR doesn't have a port. I'd have to disconnect hoses under the sink and run it out the door to do that.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank