Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2011, 08:38 AM   #1

Filling the fresh water tank without a direct hookup?

When you get to a site and don't have a water spigot nearby what do you use to get water into the fresh water tank?

I have a 7 gallon rolling water jug that is great for getting the water to the TH, But there is no way to pour the water from that jug into the fresh water tank fill opening. Are there suggestions for a funnel or something that you've used to make this easier?

Thanks!

2022 Georgetown GT5 31L5
2013 Ford Edge Limited

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #2

We have used a small funnel and placed our 7 gallon jug on a table prompt up and let the water trickle in so we didn't have to hold it.
Worked out pretty well

Happy Camping!!
Old 05-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #3

I use the blue 6 gallon jugs you can get at Walmart and sporting goods stores with a white cap, the cap has a threaded spicket that is plastic, cheap and breaks easy, I bought a brass threaded water spicket at HD and hook a short hose to it, prop it up on a table and stick the hose in the trailer filler, I carry two of the blue jugs and just switch the lid when transferring to the trailer
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #4

I generally use some or all of the 250 feet of water hose I carry just for that purpose. We have been known on occasion to use over 500 feet of water hose to fill our tanks.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
I generally use some or all of the 250 feet of water hose I carry just for that purpose. We have been known on occasion to use over 500 feet of water hose to fill our tanks.
I don't think I have room for that much hose

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

2022 Georgetown GT5 31L5
2013 Ford Edge Limited

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

I use the Blue plastic jugs too. I made an adapter to a Vinyl hose out of an old cap. I was using the big 6 gallon jobs, but now I use 4 of the 3 gallon square ones. They fit better on the folding hand cart I use and are less painful to lift.
Put the hose in the gravity fill port and up end the jug.

The small hole in the cap only goes through the white plastic and not the inner seal foam. That way it will "bubble" all around the foam and not leak so much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3024.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	5665   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3028.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	5666   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3027.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	5667  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #7

I forgot to add..... there's not a lot of sense in carrying 40 or 50 gallons of extra water because your holding tanks are limited.

Unless you have ability to dump your holding tanks into portable holding tanks to take to the dump station.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
I used a funnel from the automotive isle at walmart. It has a built in screen to catch debris before going into the way tank.

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #9

we've used a drill operated pump and a 110 volt pump to fill our friends trailer tank. I'm thinking of installing extra piping/vinyl hose and either using my demand pump or adding a second 12v pump to fill my tanks.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
Hal
Born 2 Camp

I purchased a 63 gal tank for my truck bed and refill from that using a 110v pump hooked to my generator, in the middle of nowhere on a deer lease. I know that Northern Tool (and I'm sure others) have a 12VDC transfer pump available, and the Titan has a 12VDC outlet inside the bed, so that may be a handy option too.

If you want to do smaller amounts or avoid powered pumps, you may want to look for one of the self priming siphons and just mount the jug on a table, high enough to let gravity help once you get it started. Northern Tool also has those (at least locally), and I believe that they cost less than $10. They make it easy to start - just drop it up and down a couple times to prime, and off you go.
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #11

Before we moved into the fifth wheel we had a 21 foot hybrid and traveled much more to sites that did not have central water. We carried 2 five gallon water jugs with us that we could fill up at the local water point.

I did a mod to my water system where I use the open ended hose for winterizing and use it to suck from the 5 gal jug. In order to do this I created a bypass with a short piece of pex tubing, inline valve and two tees. The bypass is tied into the suction of the trailer's water pump and the discharge feeds back into the suction line to the water holding tank on the upstream side of the isolation valve.

Kind of hard to describe. If you want I can send you a pic or a sketch. Works awesome and you're not having to hold up a jug and pour into the hole on the outside of the trailer.
sapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:02 AM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to stevo
We have one of these works great with no lifting!
New World Mfg - Portable RV Fresh Water Tank: 45 Gallon - Pumps & Tanks - Camping World
Old 06-13-2011, 07:09 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
Before we moved into the fifth wheel we had a 21 foot hybrid and traveled much more to sites that did not have central water. We carried 2 five gallon water jugs with us that we could fill up at the local water point.

I did a mod to my water system where I use the open ended hose for winterizing and use it to suck from the 5 gal jug. In order to do this I created a bypass with a short piece of pex tubing, inline valve and two tees. The bypass is tied into the suction of the trailer's water pump and the discharge feeds back into the suction line to the water holding tank on the upstream side of the isolation valve.

Kind of hard to describe. If you want I can send you a pic or a sketch. Works awesome and you're not having to hold up a jug and pour into the hole on the outside of the trailer.
Welcome Sapper. It would be awesome if you could attach the pic to this thread (using the little paperclip button above) or PM me with the pic. I'm interested in what you described here.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #14

I've attached a sketch. Hope it makes sense.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 20110620164211693.pdf (195.9 KB, 88 views)
sapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:06 PM   #15

first time using it, i bought a brand new rubermaid trash can, a battery operated waterpump from lowe's and a 13 foot hose and i bungie cord the can to the back corner of the truck, fill it up with water and drop the pump into it and it pumps it right into the camper. just back up close enough so the hose will reach. works great and it is fairly inexpensive and easy to do. hopefully this helps
CDAVIS01 is offline   Reply With Quote