Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #21
Site Team

To be perfectly honest, this isn't a topic that I have gave much thought towards, till now. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
after we saw a trailer at the show this weekend that I want, I would not even hesitate to try to put it out. I would just watch, grab a beer, make s'mores and try to fend off any persons with a extinguisher
That is too funny.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
I've seen a RV go up in a blaze firsthand and it scared the heck out of us. This fire was just a few sites away from us. An older couple had borrowed a friends RV for the weekend. Just minutes after pulling in and going outside it caught fire as this was the result. Luckily no one was hurt. Whether or not the couple had a chance to even try the extinguisher I do not know. It was so scary.

Formaldehyde is very flammable, along with all the synthetic materials in our RV's helps make them burn all the faster.

Sent from my C811 4G using Forest River Forums mobile app

https://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV PDI Guy View Post
Formaldehyde is very flammable, along with all the synthetic materials in our RV's helps make them burn all the faster.

Yep!! All I want the extinguishers for is to get us outside and to a picnic table so we can plan the purchase of the replacement RV

Remember that Good Sam Insurance policy we discussed in the forums a few months ago? Nice to know it offers replacement value, Huh
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:41 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
after we saw a trailer at the show this weekend that I want, I would not even hesitate to try to put it out. I would just watch, grab a beer, make s'mores and try to fend off any persons with a extinguisher
jevanb, do you perhaps carry enough insurance that I could claim a neck injury on from watching your trailer burn? I need a new tow vehicle.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #25
Somewhat right of center

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
That is where Foam shines! That is what the A/F uses to fight Fuel fires of Aircraft! Youroo!!
No doubt and I agree, but a large scale fuel fire is much different. I just prefer a multi-purpose dry chem (A,B and C fires) for blanketing a grease/oil fire in the kitchen over the foam and you have to use a lot. It'll still be messy. My concern is the force at which the foam discharges. It can make things worse. Whatever you prefer just as long as you're prepared on use and you get out.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabbyguy View Post
No doubt and I agree, but a large scale fuel fire is much different. I just prefer a multi-purpose dry chem (A,B and C fires) for blanketing a grease/oil fire in the kitchen over the foam and you have to use a lot. It'll still be messy. My concern is the force at which the foam discharges. It can make things worse. Whatever you prefer just as long as you're prepared on use and you get out.
Ever consider a fire blanket for stove fires? Very little mess. http://youtu.be/F0ELgC6jgOg
I have one in my home kitchen.

https://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:17 PM   #27

I shake them about 2-3 times a season. Even the ones in the house. I have one under the kitchen sink, one going into the laundry room and one in the garage.

I still have one i need to mount in the Excursion.

I remember reading that there is a company that sells a remote mounted extinguisher for the fridge compartment. It has a heat sensor that pops when a fire starts! Great idea.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
jevanb, do you perhaps carry enough insurance that I could claim a neck injury on from watching your trailer burn? I need a new tow vehicle.
That is funny!!
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:58 PM   #29
Plain Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
We put the Fac.installed ( Without removal cant Cook in Kitchen) Smoke Alarm and installed in Rear B/R. Put a Kitchen Smoke Alarm (with Hush button) in its place. Foam Ext.in B/R and Front door. Two (2) ext.doors and (1) ext.window. I still want Video of Members (Practicing going out the upper Emergency Window to the ground)! There are things that enter into the SAFE exit,(Age,Size,Handicaps,Darkness,Smoke,Ect.)! If you think in a Emergency that you will just JUMP Out, Practise by jumping off a (8ft) stepladder to the ground! Youroo!!
I will fix you up yooroo, as I know you were referring to me. I do happen to be offshore in the gulf of mexico for 3 weeks at a time, so give me time man, I got 2 more weeks.

The alternative to just JUMPING out of the window in an emergency is death. I'll take my chances.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:10 AM   #30
Somewhat right of center

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV PDI Guy View Post
Ever consider a fire blanket for stove fires? Very little mess. Pyrotex Fire Blanket - YouTube
I have one in my home kitchen.
Very cool, I'm gonna have to look into that. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
I will fix you up yooroo, as I know you were referring to me. I do happen to be offshore in the gulf of mexico for 3 weeks at a time, so give me time man, I got 2 more weeks.

The alternative to just JUMPING out of the window in an emergency is death. I'll take my chances.
I wasn't Pointing Directly at anyone,just walk through a Campground and (Visualise) the Owners Evacuating in a Emergency! Why would anyone (Jump) out of a upper window when they should have a (PLAN) in place Way Before they would ever need it? This Post was to make Members (Think) what would we do in case of a (Emergency) not a Big Joke!! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #32
PPST OGCDG

RV Fire Safety

RV Fire Video - Bing

RV Fire Engulfs Firefighter | FlashoverTV

RV Fire Safety: Tips for Fire Safety in Your RV
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:08 AM   #33

Good timing on the post and a topic most people don't think about because the extinguisher usually sets out of the way in a recessed area in the wall. Here is my 2 cents.
1. They don't make one extinguisher to cover all fires. That is why fire trucks have 4 or 5 different classes. The best all around for general population is the ABC dry chem (can be used on energized equipment unlike water based agents). Messy? You bet, but you got a fire, how much messier can you get especially if fire doesn't go out when you use wrong extinguisher? I have been a firefighter for 33 years, dry chem is what I have at home.
2. Kitchen fires are usually grease type fires. The best thing you can do is put a cover on it to smother flames and turn of heat if you can. Any pressurized extinguishing agent will "splatter" grease which will be like a flame thrower and spread the fire. I have seen several nasty burns from where the occupant has picked up pan to take outside and splashed grease on them leaving a trail of flame behind them.
3. Definitely have an evacuation plan and practice it regularly enough with the family so it is second nature. Emphasis on regularly. Do this for your home also.
4. WORKING smoke detectors. Can't say enough about the working part.

RV/mobile home fires are fast moving and unforgiving with regard to having time to get out. Firefighters are even extra cautious with these fire. Best thing to do is get everyone out and stay out. Material things can be replaced.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:25 AM   #34

So what exactly causes a refrig fire? Is it when in gas mode mainly or doesn't it make a difference?
2011 Mustang GT - Tuned and Lethal 475HP
2018 Chrysler Pacifica (hey ya gotta have somethin for mom!)
Jacketsbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #35
Infractee

Just in case some do not know it, there has been another type of fire classification added in the last several years that pertains to our homes and RV's, in addition to the the standard A, B and C types there is also a Class K. Class K is specifically for Kitchen fires involving grease and fats, the chemical in the K extinguisher turns oil and fats into soap basically so the cleanup is minimal unlike a typical foam or powder extinguisher.

(My employer requires us to do fire saftey classes every 6 months and we get to operate the different types of extinguishers, we get this drilled into our heads)
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #36

I believe the K extinguisher is for commercial use in supplement with the hood suppression systems. NFPA requires business's to have them. I don't think it is available for consumer use.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:13 PM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Most smoke detectors have a 9 volt battery in them. The rule is to replace them when the time changes on daylight savings time. I have found some detectors that have a one time 10 year battery that is sealed in the unit. That prevents the chance of pulling out the battery if your detector keeps going off such as burning your supper. You can also buy a 10 year battery made for this use.
I know how quick it can happen to pull the battery out. We responded to a 3:00am fire call where the battery was on the kitchen table. A father and a son died in this fire. As result of this fire, I wrote a grant for $25,000 to purchase 1600 smoke detectors to give away in our community to prevent this from ever happening in our community again.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #38

Boy, this would be a bad day!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2014-03-21 at 10.07.55 AM.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	48078
Old 03-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #39

Never gave this much thought. We have a ABC extinguisher mounted in the bed of our truck but only the FR provided one by the door of the RV. We will have an extinguisher in the bedroom and at the other end in the living area before our next trip. I will also replace the tiny thing FR provided. Don't intend on fighting a fire but do intend on getting out. Insurance is so comforting.

If the seals on the escape window sticks a little baby powder on them helps allot.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:43 PM   #40

A couple of years ago we were staying in a small privately owned campground and the owner came over one morning and apologized about the noise that night. I didn't know what he was talking about, he then told me some tent campers had somehow caught their tent on fire during the night and the fire department had been there and was sure with all the commotion we had been woken up. Other than a vague memory of a siren, we didn't know a thing.

Whiteknight is offline   Reply With Quote