Old 03-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #31
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
I will fix you up yooroo, as I know you were referring to me. I do happen to be offshore in the gulf of mexico for 3 weeks at a time, so give me time man, I got 2 more weeks.

The alternative to just JUMPING out of the window in an emergency is death. I'll take my chances.
I wasn't Pointing Directly at anyone,just walk through a Campground and (Visualise) the Owners Evacuating in a Emergency! Why would anyone (Jump) out of a upper window when they should have a (PLAN) in place Way Before they would ever need it? This Post was to make Members (Think) what would we do in case of a (Emergency) not a Big Joke!! Youroo!!

youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #32
RV Fire Safety

RV Fire Video - Bing

RV Fire Engulfs Firefighter | FlashoverTV

RV Fire Safety: Tips for Fire Safety in Your RV

Frank- VA {:-{)
2004 4x4 Ford 6.0 PS, SCC, SB
2005 Wildcat 29 RLBS
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:08 AM   #33
Good timing on the post and a topic most people don't think about because the extinguisher usually sets out of the way in a recessed area in the wall. Here is my 2 cents.
1. They don't make one extinguisher to cover all fires. That is why fire trucks have 4 or 5 different classes. The best all around for general population is the ABC dry chem (can be used on energized equipment unlike water based agents). Messy? You bet, but you got a fire, how much messier can you get especially if fire doesn't go out when you use wrong extinguisher? I have been a firefighter for 33 years, dry chem is what I have at home.
2. Kitchen fires are usually grease type fires. The best thing you can do is put a cover on it to smother flames and turn of heat if you can. Any pressurized extinguishing agent will "splatter" grease which will be like a flame thrower and spread the fire. I have seen several nasty burns from where the occupant has picked up pan to take outside and splashed grease on them leaving a trail of flame behind them.
3. Definitely have an evacuation plan and practice it regularly enough with the family so it is second nature. Emphasis on regularly. Do this for your home also.
4. WORKING smoke detectors. Can't say enough about the working part.

RV/mobile home fires are fast moving and unforgiving with regard to having time to get out. Firefighters are even extra cautious with these fire. Best thing to do is get everyone out and stay out. Material things can be replaced.
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW 6.7L Powerstroke
pwrstroke2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:25 AM   #34
So what exactly causes a refrig fire? Is it when in gas mode mainly or doesn't it make a difference?
2015 Sandpiper 35ROK
2013 Ford F-350 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
2011 Mustang GT - Tuned and Lethal 475HP
2013 Chrysler T&C (hey ya gotta have somethin for mom!)

Days camped in 2014 - 33
Jacketsbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #35
Just in case some do not know it, there has been another type of fire classification added in the last several years that pertains to our homes and RV's, in addition to the the standard A, B and C types there is also a Class K. Class K is specifically for Kitchen fires involving grease and fats, the chemical in the K extinguisher turns oil and fats into soap basically so the cleanup is minimal unlike a typical foam or powder extinguisher.

(My employer requires us to do fire saftey classes every 6 months and we get to operate the different types of extinguishers, we get this drilled into our heads)
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #36
I believe the K extinguisher is for commercial use in supplement with the hood suppression systems. NFPA requires business's to have them. I don't think it is available for consumer use.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:13 PM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew
Most smoke detectors have a 9 volt battery in them. The rule is to replace them when the time changes on daylight savings time. I have found some detectors that have a one time 10 year battery that is sealed in the unit. That prevents the chance of pulling out the battery if your detector keeps going off such as burning your supper. You can also buy a 10 year battery made for this use.
I know how quick it can happen to pull the battery out. We responded to a 3:00am fire call where the battery was on the kitchen table. A father and a son died in this fire. As result of this fire, I wrote a grant for $25,000 to purchase 1600 smoke detectors to give away in our community to prevent this from ever happening in our community again.
Ed & Ruthann / Toby and Tucker
2014 GMC Sierra Crewcab 2500 Duramax
2014 Wildcat 327ck
2015 129 nites
2016 40 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #38
Boy, this would be a bad day!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2014-03-21 at 10.07.55 AM.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	48078
Old 03-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #39
Never gave this much thought. We have a ABC extinguisher mounted in the bed of our truck but only the FR provided one by the door of the RV. We will have an extinguisher in the bedroom and at the other end in the living area before our next trip. I will also replace the tiny thing FR provided. Don't intend on fighting a fire but do intend on getting out. Insurance is so comforting.

If the seals on the escape window sticks a little baby powder on them helps allot.
2014 8289WS Diamond pkg
2014 Ram 2500 SB DC TCD
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:43 PM   #40
A couple of years ago we were staying in a small privately owned campground and the owner came over one morning and apologized about the noise that night. I didn't know what he was talking about, he then told me some tent campers had somehow caught their tent on fire during the night and the fire department had been there and was sure with all the commotion we had been woken up. Other than a vague memory of a siren, we didn't know a thing.

2012 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WFKSS
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn Mega Cab 4X4

Whiteknight is offline   Reply With Quote