Old 05-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #51

AMEN!

hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:44 PM   #52

Yep, Yep...OC said it best - only thing a Fire Extinguisher is good for is opening a path to the door so you can get the hell outta there!

x2 Ford Idaho - this is why we have comprehensive RV insurance

Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Yep, Yep...OC said it best - only thing a Fire Extinguisher is good for is opening a path to the door so you can get the hell outta there!

x2 Ford Idaho - this is why we have comprehensive RV insurance
Old 05-18-2014, 04:43 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
That is where Foam shines! That is what the A/F uses to fight Fuel fires of Aircraft! Youroo!!
Speaking of AF and Foam. Coming back from lunch my buddy notices smoke coming out of a hangar in the rearview mirror. We turn around and stop about 10 yards from the doors. There was an F-15 with a fuel barrel sitting under it's nose with flames hugging the side up to the cockpit. No one around. Within seconds the flames more than doubled and I tell my buddy to back the truck up. It took about 5 minutes for a fire truck to show up. The fire truck revved up his engines and when it opened the nozzle to spray the foam it barely squirted out. Another 5 minutes go by and the fire truck could not spray any foam on the aircraft. By now, after a few explosions, the entire aircraft is on fire. By the time the second fire truck showed up, the 15 split in half right behind the cockpit. Best show ever.

Same air base and about a year later. They decided to install automatic foam systems in the hangars.

Overnight the hanger's foam system fails and dumps its entire contents on another F-15. Huge pool of foam.

Lessons learned, like the OP said, make sure your fire extinguisher works.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:30 PM   #55
Infractee

Back in the 80's when I was working for Eastern Air Lines in MIA our widebody hangars had auto foam systems in them, including ducts that were plumbed to the interior of the aircraft thru the mid entry doors. The system could detect fire visually as well as smoke detection and for that reason before the planes were brought into the hangar we had to remove the wingtip strobes so as to prevent any possible accidental tripping of the system. As bad luck would have it, an L-1011 got loaded in one night for heavy maintenance and somebody armed the system, next day somebody put power on and strobes were on...
Filled up the hangar in about 60 seconds 20' high
What a mess that was to say the least. At least the interior ducts were not in position.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 05-18-2014, 09:39 PM   #56
PPST OGCDG

When I was operating Heavy Equipment we had Bull Dozers with a fire suppression system mounted on them. They were two 40lbs ABC dry power and one 20lbs hand held.
One day one of my fellow workers was operating the dozer and the automatic system alarm went off and the operator did not hear the 10 second warning alarm to be able to cancel the system or vacate the Cab of the dozer. After the system went off the operator exited the cab looking like the Pillsbury Dough Boy.
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:54 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank-VA View Post
When I was operating Heavy Equipment we had Bull Dozers with a fire suppression system mounted on them. They were two 40lbs ABC dry power and one 20lbs hand held.
One day one of my fellow workers was operating the dozer and the automatic system alarm went off and the operator did not hear the 10 second warning alarm to be able to cancel the system or vacate the Cab of the dozer. After the system went off the operator exited the cab looking like the Pillsbury Dough Boy.
LoL... Pics?
Old 05-18-2014, 11:22 PM   #58
PPST OGCDG

Wish I had a camera back then. That happen in the early 1990s
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:52 AM   #59

Back when I was in Tech school in the USAF we were training in a classified underground facility with automatic Halon stations everywhere. We were told by our trainer that you only had second to get out of the facility if you heard a Halon alarm. He had a blast scaring the heebie jeebies out of us with a fake alarm. Talk about having to change underwear.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:09 PM   #60

Refrigerator Fire Hazard Recall

A number of years ago when our "C" class was newer, we got a notice from Dometic that a fire hazard recall had been issued on our fridge. As we were about 2 weeks before departure (meeting up with others) I called right away to book an appointment at our RV Dealer. (Long story - short) It took a week to get it in and they had it for a week. I got it back the night before rolling, I went to start the fridge and it didn't work. Fuming .... I was all loaded (family on board) and on their doorstep at 7 am the next morning insisting on "instant" service. They embarrassingly worked on it for 2 hours and replaced parts to the tune of $283 (no labour fee) but, it still wasn't working. I asked to see what they had done. They showed me a metal plate with 4 screws on it and told me they had added it as a flame shield. Now, not only fuming but red faced and boiling, I asked them to remove the shield ..... I reached in and turned on the tiny "screw valve" on the gas supply (Dometic's instructions to me) to the fridge and, of course, it worked. So much time wasted, I paid the bill and left to catch up to our friends. Eventually, the Dealer owner himself satisfied me but learn never to leave a service establishment without ensuring that what it was in for is working. Hard Lesson.