Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2014, 07:29 AM   #1

Fire!!

If you have (NOT) taken your (Dry Chemical-ABC) Fire Extinguisher from its bracket holder and turned it Upside down and Shaken and or Hit it with a Soft mallet,it might be (Useless) when needed!! RV Extinguishers shake up and down going down the road,settling the Chemicals to the Bottom,and caking! When needed only Propellent is released! Read your Label on the Ext. I bet (Most-All) have never had the Ext.out of its holder. They (Cant) be tested without (refill or replacement) so you Only get (1) chance when needed! We switched to (Foam Extinguishers) in our (Home-Vehicles-Boat) There is little or NO cleanup after use with Foam,can you say that with Dry Chemical? Also Dry Chemical is instant Killer of (Electronics),how many electronic devices are in your (Home-RV)? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:38 AM   #2
Always Learning

This is a timely post for me. Everything lately seems to be a fire reminder to me. On a Thousand Trails group page, there was a post yesterday or the day before talking about a refrigerator fire. The owner got out, but had nothing more than the clothes on his back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1395146213.093254.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	47911

This all is reminding me to do a few things:
1) maintain my existing fire extinguisher
2) develop a fire escape plan
3) practice fire escape plans
4) get a refrigerator compartment fire extinguisher (Mac the RV Fire guy or something like that)
5) get additional fire extinguishers so they are where I need them
Old 03-18-2014, 08:28 AM   #3

Some great advice. Thanks. I will be checking mine.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #4

The more you read into the fridge fires the more it makes you think. Good post BTW-Everyone needs a safety refresher as most of us are starting our season soon.

May I add a few more suggestions...

1.test your emergency escape windows EVERY TRIP. They tend to stick to the seal making opening a real problem.
2. Replace the tiny entry door unit with a larger unit.
3. Install an additional unit in an outside compartment
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:48 AM   #5

This is one of the Dewinterizing things on my ck list and then shake them every time we go out. Fire is why my wife insists on a unit with 2 doors.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:54 AM   #6

Just a thought as I didn't see it mentioned. How many of you have smoke detectors? Do they work? Camper may be small but when your sleeping you may not know about a fire till its too late.

Sent from my C811 4G using Forest River Forums mobile app

https://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV PDI Guy View Post
Just a thought as I didn't see it mentioned. How many of you have smoke detectors? Do they work? Camper may be small but when your sleeping you may not know about a fire till its too late.

Sent from my C811 4G using Forest River Forums mobile app
Good reminders for sure. With so many RVs in storage over the winter many will have dead batteries in the smoke detector and Carbon Monoxide detector. Replacing the batteries should be the first item on everyone's dewinterizing list.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to iowaborn
Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
We switched to (Foam Extinguishers) in our (Home-Vehicles-Boat) There is little or NO cleanup after use with Foam,can you say that with Dry Chemical? Also Dry Chemical is instant Killer of (Electronics),how many electronic devices are in your (Home-RV)? Youroo!!
Good timing on this thread. I have never been comfortable with the "tiny" extinguisher that comes stock, so now I will seriously plan on replacing it as well as adding one to the tail gate area of my truck. Never thought of the foam type, but searching the internet does not return many available options. youroo, what foam extinguishers are you using?
Are the small pressurized can type extinguishers a waste of money?
Old 03-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #9

do most RV smoke detectors run 9v batteries like my home? The detector was beeping in my camper when i checked last weekend but I forgot to check battery size before i left the storage place.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #10

We put the Fac.installed ( Without removal cant Cook in Kitchen) Smoke Alarm and installed in Rear B/R. Put a Kitchen Smoke Alarm (with Hush button) in its place. Foam Ext.in B/R and Front door. Two (2) ext.doors and (1) ext.window. I still want Video of Members (Practicing going out the upper Emergency Window to the ground)! There are things that enter into the SAFE exit,(Age,Size,Handicaps,Darkness,Smoke,Ect.)! If you think in a Emergency that you will just JUMP Out, Practise by jumping off a (8ft) stepladder to the ground! Youroo!!
Old 03-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaborn View Post
Good timing on this thread. I have never been comfortable with the "tiny" extinguisher that comes stock, so now I will seriously plan on replacing it as well as adding one to the tail gate area of my truck. Never thought of the foam type, but searching the internet does not return many available options. youroo, what foam extinguishers are you using?
Are the small pressurized can type extinguishers a waste of money?
First Alert is one type (2pack) under 25$. H/D or Lowes! Little Foames put out (BIG) fires! Youroo!! Tundra is the name for foam Ext.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:03 AM   #12

In addition to fire extinguishers
(good price here: Kidde 466141 Kitchen/Garage Fire Extinguisher 10-BC - Amazon.com)

I have 3 - one in the Bedroom, one in the Galley, and one outside mounted in the front bay door (oh and one in our TV as well

$30 investment in fore and aft window breakers just in case the window DOES stick is just smart money invested IMHO:
Amazon.com: LifeHammer The Original Emergency Hammer (Orange): Automotive
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #13
Somewhat right of center

Fire Extinguisher Maintenance and Inspection - InterNACHI

While dry chem is messy, I wouldn't count on a foam extinguisher to stop all fires especially a cooking (grease/oil) fire.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabbyguy View Post
Fire Extinguisher Maintenance and Inspection - InterNACHI

While dry chem is messy, I wouldn't count on a foam extinguisher to stop all fires especially a cooking (grease/oil) fire.
That is where Foam shines! That is what the A/F uses to fight Fuel fires of Aircraft! Youroo!!
Old 03-18-2014, 11:18 AM   #15

I've seen a RV go up in a blaze firsthand and it scared the heck out of us. This fire was just a few sites away from us. An older couple had borrowed a friends RV for the weekend. Just minutes after pulling in and going outside it caught fire as this was the result. Luckily no one was hurt. Whether or not the couple had a chance to even try the extinguisher I do not know. It was so scary.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #16

Haven't seen this, an extinguisher in the tv somewhere away from the gas tank and engine where you can get easy access to it. ABC extinguisher should be the type you want for a tt or home. Here's the OSHA Recommendations . https://www.osha.gov/doc/outreachtra...s/extmark.html
Old 03-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #17

after we saw a trailer at the show this weekend that I want, I would not even hesitate to try to put it out. I would just watch, grab a beer, make s'mores and try to fend off any persons with a extinguisher

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #18

Home extinguishers really aren't for battling a fire more to give time to escape, although they may put the fire out if you get to it quick enough. Once it starts there isn't much time to get it out these home extinguishers only have a few bursts in them. Knowing how to use one is important most recommend the PASS method Pull, Aim, Squeeze, Sweep. Point at the base of the fire and sweep back and forth.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #19

The one thing to remember about RV fires is that the RV is not build like a house. It' s made of lighter materials and they burn very fast. If you have a fire the best thing to do is get out and call the Fire Dept.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:50 PM   #20
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
after we saw a trailer at the show this weekend that I want, I would not even hesitate to try to put it out. I would just watch, grab a beer, make s'mores and try to fend off any persons with a extinguisher

LMMFAO!!!

Exactly!! I have insurance, as long as everybody is out I am not risking my life to keep the camper from burning!
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote