Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2014, 12:44 PM   #41

No problem with the britches. We had fun and didn't hear any fire trucks. I did question some of the parents that let their young kids do it. I put one of them [the balloons] out as it melted the paper and was not going to fly away. I guess like anything use of conmen since is required. So I guess a mass lighting of "fire Baloons" at Goshen isn't recommended?

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #42
Site Team

Just posting this as a FYI thing so members reading this may know that certain states have bans and/or restrictions on these.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but do not want any or our members to get in trouble.

Fire marshals want to ban sky lanterns

http://balloonsblow.org/flaming-litter

https://www.firemarshals.org/pdf/NAS...ion_2013-3.pdf

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #43
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I guess hot air balloons are dumb?

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Not necessarily "dumb" as while they ultimately at the mercy of the airborne winds,they do have some controls to direct their ascent/decent and direction of flight. In addition they are built to certain standards and a FAA certificate is required to operate them - does that mean hot air balloons never hit power lines or other objects or caught fire - No of course not.

But the fire balloons are beyond anyone's control once launched.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:05 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I'll take 10

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
I will shoot them down and leave the shell casings, buckshot and wadding on your property, along with the carcases......JUST MESSING WITH YOU LOL

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #45
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
I will shoot them down and leave the shell casings, buckshot and wadding on your property......JUST MESSING WITH YOU LOL

If only you we're a good shot !

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #46

Don't let the enemy hear about these flying Molotov Cocktails. They'll take us down for sure.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
Don't let the enemy hear about these flying Molotov Cocktails. They'll take us down for sure.
Kind of an off-topic rant, but in actuality Japan did try something along that line during World War II.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_balloon

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #48
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Kind of an off-topic rant, but in actuality Japan did try something along that line during World War II.
The American Indians beat Japan to it when they used burning arrows in their battles against the White Man.

And actually the U.S.used incendiary bombs dropped on Japan in WW 2. - all the same concept - dropping fire from the sky.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #49
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

There's gotta be some sort of firecracker they can put on these things to self destruct before the altitude gets too low. Checking the USPTO.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #50

CLT now we are talking. Maybe get Bomb doc on this. Fire and explosives.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:58 AM   #51

Send a message via Yahoo to Rich46
I first seen this in Brasil, fifty years ago. Some did set off fires on homes, pretty but not safe.
Most waited till the wind was going out to sea.
Rich46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:45 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Let's all buy about a 100 and get with the program!!! Environment be darned, we're going to have fun!!!!
Sooooo? FR Group Buy? I know a guy who's family used to manufacture fireworks in the US, but now does importing. I am sure I can get a lead on a pallet of them.
loki008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:43 AM   #53
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Found this today.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1405349014406.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	58159  
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #54
NELA

Some campers set several of these off at Poverty Point Camp Ground during Memorial Day weekend, just at sunset. I watched them drift over a HUGE open (very dry) field toward what is now classified as a World Heritage Site along side the pyramids and the great wall of China, which ALSO has a huge open grassy area with 4K year old mounds....until they disappeared.

Nope, I didn't report them but I saw the park police headed in their direction quickly thereafter, and rightly so in my not-so-humble opinion. It appeared those were constructed of small brown paper bags.

These "uncontrolled fire driven articles of litter" drifted very low over the entire park (and RVs) before they gained altitude.

And NO, I don't like the oversized bottle rockets that parents let KIDS launch on holidays either. I picked up no less than a dozen of the spent ones out of our yard after 07/04...found another one Saturday in the back yard. The type that does this also ignores the 10 PM curfew on fireworks.

Back when I was a teen my brother taped a sparkler to an arrow and launched it skyward. Uhhh it landed on the roof of a friend's house. He had to work a summer job to pay for the shingle damage caused by the small fire it started before he could grab a ladder, climb his stupid hind end up there and put it out. But, he learned from it....never pulled that idiotic stunt again.

Granny was correct: it's all fun and games until someone puts their eye out

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote