Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2017, 01:24 PM   #1

For those of us the went thru Irma

I have an idea for those of us who just went thru Irma.. you know how so many like to put the sticker of North America on their rig and then fill it in with the states they visited. Well here's a sticker idea for us. The hurricane symbol with the category number that you and your rig went thru. I'm grateful that my rig took it beautifully and stayed watertight. Just got a new respect for her. Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1505154231.046391.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	151201
PupScrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #2

Last time we had one here,(Sandy), I was in Charlotte, NC. Stayed a couple extra days then went home. Have been through a 3 in Myrtle Beach in a motel and don't want to go through another!
Old 09-11-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

We've been through two.
I want no reminders of that. It wasn't fun.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:34 PM   #4

Trust me I don't want it again either. I haven't slept in days and it was utterly nerve racking. But if I don't add some humor to it, I'll go crazy. Gotta lighten the tension up somehow
Old 09-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #5

Wife and I purchased a 32 ft. 5th wheel so that we can get the hell out of Dodge when one of those hurricanes approach the Louisiana gulf coast. Our home sits within 30 miles of coastline, we have good homeowners and flood insurance, it cuts down on the worries.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #6
D W

Not anywhere near FL, but this seems a little inappropriate given the circumstances and losses that a lot of Floridians are now faced with.

Not cool.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:27 PM   #7

Don't think it is inappropriate at all. But it should be for folks that had to ride it out IN their RV (hopefully not too close to the storm.) Ours was in the garage and didn't have to come out until yesterday afternoon. Now we are living in it for the duration until power is restored. My guess: 3 weeks based on past hurricanes and TS's we have had to live on the generator.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #8

We went through Charlie. My mother was a Hospice patient and I was caring for her at her house. Our home and my in-laws home were in a tidal surge flood area. DW and my in-laws rode out the storm at my Mother's place. All 3 homes had damage, but the in-laws had significant damage and uninhabitable. They stayed with DW for over 6 months while their home was rebuilt. When I could get a sitter, I went over to help rebuild the house. My mother-in-law never got to live in her home again before passing away. It was pretty difficult trying to get the homes back in shape while tending to sick loved ones.

We purchased another property in Florida last March and have not lived in it as yet. We left our Jeep toad there along with a boat in storage. Irma, for a period of time, looked like she was going give us a direct hit. Well, fickle Irma, came in from the south and then headed a bit inland, sparing us from the brunt of her fury. Though we expect some damage, first indications is that it will be minimal-a sigh of relief. But, we are still waiting for a more complete assessment of damage. Fortunately, we were not in Florida when Irma struck.
But it was a bit stressful none the less.

Even though our family survived the Charlie saga, we didn't lose everything. That pales with what the Harvey and Irma victims are going through right now. Many of them have lost everything, some have lost loved ones.
When people are in this much devastation, have nothing, have no place to live, may have lost their place of employment, and have no means to recover, life is pure hell. And that hell could last for years.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #9
geezer with gadgets

God speed to everyone for a quick recovery. Hope that life gets back to normal quickly!

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:57 PM   #10

I rode it out in a Special Needs Shelter. We had five nurses/ nurse practitioners on the night shift that lasted fourteen hours during the height of the storm with eighty MPH winds. Generators went out on three of the four buildings and we had to move 65 folks on oxygen or CPAP to the fourth shelter. We didn't loose anyone, though. We had 436 people, which meant 87.2 people to each nurse. The governor called for 1000 nurses to come out and help.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Not anywhere near FL, but this seems a little inappropriate given the circumstances and losses that a lot of Floridians are now faced with.

Not cool.
First A very BIG THANK YOU to those that understood the meaning of this.

For those that took offense I ask HOW IN THE HELL CAN YOU THINK THIS FOR ONE MOMENT IS NEGATIVE TOWARDS ANYONE ESPECIALLY THOSE OF US THAT WENT THRU IT.???
Especially when you are not even here.
This is a badge of courage and a badge of remembrance that we may NEVER go through this again.
Trust me we are ALL HURTING and a little humor right now is a welcome thing. I haven't slept in 3 days, I spend my days running a chainsaw and my loader and wood chopper trying to dig friends and total strangers out from under debris. I am beat beyond belief, I am stinky, cut up, and totally exhausted but each and every day I will be out there until we overcome this. For many this was life changing, and one hellava learning experience. And NO... NO ONE IS MAKING LIGHT OF ANYONE'S trouble or circumstance. We are all in this together. So yes in case you can't tell I TAKE GREAT OFFENSE to the stupid comments from people who are not here on the front lines and can't see past their own nose as to how we all need a little humor and relief to keep us from going crazy... I suggest unless you want to get down in the trenches with us just keep the negative comments to yourself. RANT OVER ...
Old 09-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PupScrappy View Post
I have an idea for those of us who just went thru Irma.. you know how so many like to put the sticker of North America on their rig and then fill it in with the states they visited. Well here's a sticker idea for us. The hurricane symbol with the category number that you and your rig went thru. I'm grateful that my rig took it beautifully and stayed watertight. Just got a new respect for her. Attachment 151201
Personally (I guess that's IMHO, huh? LOL), I think this is a great idea.

However........I have a state(s) map I am going to put on the trailer somewhere. I don't have, say, South Dakota. If I want South Dakota, I can go to Sturgis or somewhere and.......CAMP! Voila! Then I'd have South Dakota (for example) to display.

But if I want one of these, I can't just 'decide' to go undergo what it takes to get one!

Thus, this'd be ONE SPECIAL decal that the rest of us would probably look up to in awe..............least, I would!

And all that is MHO.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:16 PM   #13

Irma

We are in San Diego, CA with our RV! We own a modest home in Plantation leased out to an elderly couple and they couldn't evacuate! They are fine thank God! Waiting to learn about any home damage before we head back east! We've been through Inez in Key West, l; then Andrew, Wilma, Rita, Mat, and now Irma --- in Plantation and I've probably missed 2 or 3! Our home has had water damage repairs outside and in to include a beautiful waterfall through skylights once, and last time around the whole tile roof replaced! Concrete block and steel beam hurricane proofed yet damage! We have USAA (43 years) and they haven't bailed yet! In fact, so long as we own that home they will not bail on us! Insurance is critical if you can find and afford it! God bless everyone, their families, friends, and colleagues who are going through Irma Recovery! BTW, during Andrew we gave our Apache travel Traitor (in new line condition) anonymously to a family in Homestead made homeless -- so they would have a place to live while repairing house damage! Dan & Gerda
Dan n Gerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:21 PM   #14

[QUOTE=But if I want one of these, I can't just 'decide' to go undergo what it takes to get one! Thus, this'd be ONE SPECIAL decal that the rest of us would probably look up to in awe..............least, I would![/QUOTE]

X2 -this would be a special badge as mentioned. I think if I saw one on a camping unit it might spark a conversation that I might not normally have.
In a humorous way, it might be like those 26.2 or 13.1 stickers on cars. After it finally dawned on me what it meant, I saw mine...0.0 Yes, sometimes you need a little humor - especially in the current situation. I thank God I wasn't involved and am praying for all those who are.

2021 Nights Camped: 29 (so far)
2020 Nights Camped: 18
2019 Nights Camped: 18
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:17 PM   #15

Quote:
First A very BIG THANK YOU to those that understood the meaning of this.

For those that took offense I ask HOW IN THE HELL CAN YOU THINK THIS FOR ONE MOMENT IS NEGATIVE TOWARDS ANYONE ESPECIALLY THOSE OF US THAT WENT THRU IT.???
Especially when you are not even here.
This is a badge of courage and a badge of remembrance that we may NEVER go through this again.
Trust me we are ALL HURTING and a little humor right now is a welcome thing. I haven't slept in 3 days, I spend my days running a chainsaw and my loader and wood chopper trying to dig friends and total strangers out from under debris. I am beat beyond belief, I am stinky, cut up, and totally exhausted but each and every day I will be out there until we overcome this. For many this was life changing, and one hellava learning experience. And NO... NO ONE IS MAKING LIGHT OF ANYONE'S trouble or circumstance. We are all in this together. So yes in case you can't tell I TAKE GREAT OFFENSE to the stupid comments from people who are not here on the front lines and can't see past their own nose as to how we all need a little humor and relief to keep us from going crazy... I suggest unless you want to get down in the trenches with us just keep the negative comments to yourself. RANT OVER ...
Take heed of what the media is telling you. Don't become a aftermath statistic. We understand the urgency because many of us have been there and done that. Pace yourself, everyone has their limits.

Shortly before selling our second home in Florida, we had 60+ MPH straight line winds come down the canal. The neighbor had a lot of large trees on his lot. Most of those tree branches were on the ground after the storm. The neighbor did not ask for help. His neighbors showed up with rakes, chain saws, pruning shears, bow saws, work gloves, and anything else they thought would help. The wives all got together to make an impromptu potluck. Though this was not a hurricane event, some of us had gone through Charlie. It was neighbors helping neighbors.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:02 PM   #16

That's what good neighbors do!
Old 09-12-2017, 05:28 PM   #17

^^^^
Been there done that here in the Midwest after storms. Many hands make light work. It is what you do without being asked...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:03 PM   #18

Quote:
I have an idea for those of us who just went thru Irma..
Where we live, Irma went thru us..but we're safe. Used to live for years down in the Keys as sailors. As soon as those folks get back on their flip flops, the best thing all of us can do is to go visit and spend money with every small, locally owned business we can.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:35 AM   #19

We just went through it and still have no power. Fortunately I have a 2000 watt Yamaha generator we use when camping. It is powering 2 refrigerators, a few LED lamps, my wife's CPAP and 2 fans. I've set up a hot spot with my phone for Internet use. Unfortunately we had quite a bit of damage because of a tornado that was spawned off of the hurricane. Our enclosed back porch (10 X 24') was totally lifted into the air, over our home and then dropped on top of our truck. The roof on our home was also damaged when the porch roof was torn off. Thank Goodness we are ok and so far the insurance people seem easy to deal with. I thought our home owners' insurance would cover both the home and the truck but no, we have to go through our truck insurance for those damages.

The tornado was so powerful that a swing set the neighbor in back of us had was a twisted wreck on the ground. Much of our fence has been broken. Oh well...life is a journey with never ending surprises. No injuries. We are blessed.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:36 AM   #20
NH Maple Maker

Quote:
I have an idea for those of us who just went thru Irma.. you know how so many like to put the sticker of North America on their rig and then fill it in with the states they visited. Well here's a sticker idea for us. The hurricane symbol with the category number that you and your rig went thru. I'm grateful that my rig took it beautifully and stayed watertight. Just got a new respect for her. Attachment 151201
I think that this is a great idea. I would add the name of the hurricane too so that others will know which one you survived. As for me I will stay in the north east and deal with the Noreasters and blizzards that come through.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote