Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #1

Friction Sway Bar

I've had a Reese friction sway control for 12 years, it's still works. BUT, I've had problems the last 2-3 years with the grunting, groaning, etc it makes when I make the slightest turn. My new V-Lite got looks from the "residents" as we drove into the rv park. Boy was I embarassed by the noises coming from that sway bar. Sounded like a whale singing underwater! I know it is the sway bar that is making the noise for I have disengaged it and the noise quit. My dealer suggested pulling the bar totally out and scrubbing it with steel wool and then thoroughly cleaning with spray brake cleaner. I've done all that. Didn't help. Is there anything else I can try or am I in the market for a new one?
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nature of the beast, I'd say. My current Equal-i-zer does the same thing. And it pops, too. Helps to grease the hitch ball and arm sockets on mine. But the noise is still there. Tells you its doing its job.

You get used to it and other campers know exactly why, too. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

If its late evening or early in the morning, however, I usually like to disengage the bars to keep the peace. No need for sway control in the CG.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:14 PM   #3

I need to clarify. It is a Equalizer brand friction sway control. It didn't make all the sound effects when it was new. Of course, I didn't either!
I am a grease junkie. I grease my hitch ball, equalizer bars at the hitch point, and the balls where the sway control attaches. Then everytime I touch something for the next 10 years I have to wipe grease off.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:31 AM   #4

When I had a friction type sway control I use to take it off when I pulled in to the campground (at check in). That way I did not have to worry about making real sharp turns while backing up, I have seen these things bend when they get over extended.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #5

Weight distribution arms

My dealer didn't say anything to me about greasing my hitch, weight distribution or sway bar connections. I bet that would help with all of the popping and creaking though! Thanks!

I have noticed some grooves being scratched into the weight distribution arms where they fit into the hitch... Anything to worry about?

Thanks,
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
I am a grease junkie. I grease my hitch ball, equalizer bars at the hitch point, and the balls where the sway control attaches. Then everytime I touch something for the next 10 years I have to wipe grease off.
cbenslay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #6

Quote:
I need to clarify. It is a Equalizer brand friction sway control. It didn't make all the sound effects when it was new. Of course, I didn't either!
So this is not an EQUALIZER Hitch? because there are no balls for the sway control to attach to on an EQAULIZER Hitch, so you must have a friction sway control added on to a regular hitch? can you post some pics? the friction type controller you have may be wearing and causing the noise. My EQAULIZER hith only has one ball and it is the tow ball????

BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #7

I agree, with no pics it may be hard to understand my problem. One of my next investments is going to be a digital camera!

Everytime I would make even a slight turn it would sound like a whale grunting and groaning. I know it is the sway control that is making the noise for I have disengaged it and the noise quits. My wife tells me I am OCD about noises, rattles and the like. She says just turn the radio louder to drown out things. Doesn't work. At least not on her! The sway control is still functional after 12 years but maybe it needs to be retired. I recently bought a new REESE friction sway control from CW. Haven't had a chance to use it yet to see how things go.

Try to picture a small hitch ball next to my big ball on the hitch that the hitch coupler connects to. The sway control connects 1 end to this small ball and the other end connects to another small ball mounted on the frame of the trailer tongue. The sway control is held onto the small balls with a clip type pin. I have my sway control on the passenger(curb) side for no real particular reason other than that was the way it was originally set up. And the hitch itself has an offset specifically for the sway control ball on this side. Also, my plug(for the lights,brake) and the breakaway cable is on the driver's(street) side of the setup. It is the last thing I hookup. I was told to rotate(tighten) the lever clockwise until snug, then to back off counterclockwise about 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Hope this explains things a little.HAPPY CAMPING!!!!
Old 07-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #8

Quote:
I agree, with no pics it may be hard to understand my problem. One of my next investments is going to be a digital camera!

Everytime I would make even a slight turn it would sound like a whale grunting and groaning. I know it is the sway control that is making the noise for I have disengaged it and the noise quits. My wife tells me I am OCD about noises, rattles and the like. She says just turn the radio louder to drown out things. Doesn't work. At least not on her! The sway control is still functional after 12 years but maybe it needs to be retired. I recently bought a new REESE friction sway control from CW. Haven't had a chance to use it yet to see how things go.

Try to picture a small hitch ball next to my big ball on the hitch that the hitch coupler connects to. The sway control connects 1 end to this small ball and the other end connects to another small ball mounted on the frame of the trailer tongue. The sway control is held onto the small balls with a clip type pin. I have my sway control on the passenger(curb) side for no real particular reason other than that was the way it was originally set up. And the hitch itself has an offset specifically for the sway control ball on this side. Also, my plug(for the lights,brake) and the breakaway cable is on the driver's(street) side of the setup. It is the last thing I hookup. I was told to rotate(tighten) the lever clockwise until snug, then to back off counterclockwise about 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Hope this explains things a little.HAPPY CAMPING!!!!

OK GOT IT, you have an ad on sway control with the little ball next to the tow ball on your receiver. They all make noise to some extent, I think they get on a slight bind and do not slide as freely as they should at times. if you have cleaned the slider and the sleeve it goes into then there is not much more you can do, IF you lube it then you will loose your sway control as it is a friction type controller. If it is bothering you and you just can't stand it, try out the new one you have from Reese it should solve your problem. CHEERS!
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:24 PM   #9

I have a brand new equalizer hitch (2 months old pulled only 5 times). it creaks groans and pops all the time. this is normal and tells you its working properly. even when I had the TT at the dealer it was popping and groaning. Not a word was said about it by them service manager or the 3-4 techs workinbg in the yard. Others may look at you but perhaps they are in awe of your set-up instead of annoyed by some noise. If the noises of a working hitch bother them then they may not be a true RVer.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #10

Hmmm... I have the same set-up, but I was told to tighten it with "2 fingers" and then tighten it a little more to where the bar you use to tighten it is horizontal. The Tech did say that is just how he does it...
cbenslay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #11

People look at me when I stand up; I grunt, groan, legs and feet pop but after I get going, things seem to be okay. Is it in awe, envey, or are they looking for the cause of the noises? Oh well, I have a brand new 2012 V Lite. I can understand, they're enjoying the view!
Old 07-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #12
Site Team

Timex, you confused the issue when you stated that you had a "Equalizer brand friction sway control".

Equalizer is a brand of WDH that has no friction anti-sway bar. nor, do they sell such a thing, as far as i know.
it has 4-point sway control, incorporated in the hitch head and the weight bars.

saying yours is an Equalizer brand, is confusing.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:56 AM   #13

Sorry for your confusion. I bought this item 12 years ago and guess I'm the one that is confused! I just eye-balled it and it is an EAZ-LIFT brand sway control. Sorry for Equalizer/Reese runaround.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #14

I've got the exact same groaning screeching thing goin on with mine only I have to have two sway controls to keep the sway down, one on each side! Twice the noise. I've just learned to turn up the radio & drive on. But I definately know how annoying it is.
wfkssvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #15
Site Team

When my sway control is too snug the squeeking will increase. When it does get loud I will slightly loosen it a little bit. When ever I swing by the service department they will check it out and let me know if I have it set right so now I have a good idea of the correct setting. The more I tow the more I know what are normal noises and what are not.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote