Old 05-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #1

Fridge fan alternate

Hi guys, I got this idea from the forum thread on the refrigerator fan others have purchased off of eBay. I’m a bit “thrifty”, OK, call me CHEAP. I’ll squeeze that nickel so hard the buffalo burps. I’ll see something and try to figure out how to do it myself or find somewhere on this wonderful web thingy where someone else has already done the grunt work and then go for it. I found a similar hard drive cooling fan setup on Deal Extreme dot com at $3.95 - Dual Fans Hard Drive Cooling Attachment - Hardware Parts for all of $3.95 and free shipping. Not bad, but you can’t be in a hurry to get the thing… Anyway, it arrived in about 10 days and I pulled the connector plug off and put it away for some future use. I added the additional positive wire and soldered the spade connector on. I soldered the ground wire to the alligator clip and flattened it for drilling. I opened the second alligator clip, flattened and drilled it also. I drilled the fan flange (where it rounds over then flattens out) and used sheet metal screws I had on hand to connect the alligator clips to the fan housing. We took a trip to Pigeon Forge, TN this past weekend and it worked like a charm, no frost, no ice, and the fridge was colder than you know where. I’ll need a longer run to figure out where the “thermostat” needs to be set. Anyway, with 2 alligator clips the fan did not budge in position, despite the potholes on I-40 and I-81. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge fan 1.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	5594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge fan 2.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	5595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge fan 3.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	5596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge fan alligator clips.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	5597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge fan switch 1.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	5598  

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #2

Great post. I've ordered my fans, (along with other fun stuff) and will give it a try. I love that site. I've bought from them before. Long shipping time but great prices.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasnipe View Post
I’ll squeeze that nickel so hard the buffalo burps.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #4

Ordered my fans and recieved them. Going to install today. Great idea. Alot better than those battery operated fans for $15.00
Old 06-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #5

Good luck with the fans. I'm interested in any improvements or different ways to go about the thing.

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:39 PM   #6

Thank you. I will talk to DH and get ours ordered too. I already found a few other things I would like to get. That is a cool site.
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2000 Suburban 1500 4 X 4
ngts camped 2016-24 so far. reservations for 11 more
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #7

I have a bunch of computer fans laying around here and probably going to make something similar. By any chance do you have more detail view of how you rigged the fan power? Are the Ground Connections the Alligator clips?

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
I have a bunch of computer fans laying around here and probably going to make something similar. By any chance do you have more detail view of how you rigged the fan power? Are the Ground Connections the Alligator clips?
Hook the ground wire to one of the alligator clips and the hot wire goes to the input side of the light switch inside the refridge. This will keep the fan running anytime the fridge is on and won't cut off when the light goes off.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:28 AM   #9

Has anyone who has one of these calculated what it draws? I'm paranoid about adding any more parasite loads to my electrical system. Is there any kind of watts or amp rating on it?

Does anyone with a Xantrex, Rogue, or any other controller/monitor that monitors load realtime have one of these fans?

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2009 Rockwood 2607, and 3 'yaks!
300W of Suntech Solar, a Rogue MPT-3024 Controller, and a Xantrex PW2000 Inverter
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor View Post
Has anyone who has one of these calculated what it draws? I'm paranoid about adding any more parasite loads to my electrical system. Is there any kind of watts or amp rating on it?

Does anyone with a Xantrex, Rogue, or any other controller/monitor that monitors load realtime have one of these fans?
The big FAN I have from a Server is 120mm and when I checked was 12V and 1.5A I thought that was kind of a lot so I may just find either a smaller 90mm fan or smaller. Not sure yet. This big fan is fast and draws and pushes a crap load of air. I looked at another fan here that seems to be either 60mm and it shows it would draw .70A so it varies. Bigger fans are slower but push more air. It's just a matter of finding the right fan.

For Example, THIS ONE is only .40A

And THIS ONE is bigger but draws only .35A and has a life span of around 50,000 hours.

You also want to look at db(decibels) to see how loud they run.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan