Old 09-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #1
Fridge Fix

I just wanted to share this with my fellow campers. Our fridge in our MH sat for a coupe of months. I plugged the MH and turned on the fridge to get ready for a trip and after a day or so it would only get down to 60 degrees. I felt, here we go I'll either have to buy a new one or rebuild it. Spend $600 to $1300 before we even leave on our trip. I researched several sites for best prices etc. Spent several nights not sleeping and thinking about it. Being in the HVAC business I decided to fire the gas up on the fridge and see what that would do figuring it might just get something started since it runs hotter that the electric.

It worked, the propane burner set off the reaction with the gases etc in the cooling unit an got things moving again. I let it run on gas for a day or so and turned the electric on and I ran perfect for our trip an still is.

As an FYI I spoke with a company that sells the rebuild units prior to trying the propane and they stated I would for sure have to replace the unit. Hopefully this will help save one of you a bunch of money.

2008 Georgetown SE TS
2013 Ram 1500 Longhorn in tow
Fourn3833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
Great post and advice!

harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
I'll keep that tip in mind for future reference. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Travelingbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #4
Wsa your unit stored level or on a sloop?
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:06 PM   #5
Kind of had the same type of problem. Thought I might have a vapor lock in the system. Probably from closing the propane valve, filling tank or closing going through a tunnel. Freezer would cool but not refrig. Tried shutting off refrig several times and leaving on gas for several minutes. Finally cleared and works well.
Gchpazi is offline   Reply With Quote