Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2
Full time home

For financial reasons, my wife and I are concidering living in our 2011 Rockwood Windjammer Model 3008W, full time for 6 months. We found a trailer park that has the hook up for us but I am concerned about the winter camping. Also should I support the slide outs if they will be out for that long of a period. So, any suggestions on long term and winter RV living?

Eric and Tammy
__________________

__________________
eharang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Winter camping in FL is no problem.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Winter camping in FL is no problem.
OP's profile says Iowa. Which, after my dad spent 6 weeks there in January erecting a printing press (lots of time bring stuff from outside to inside), he didn't have nice things to say about Iowa-winters!

I think what OldCoot suggests is about the only way I'd live in my camper in the winter - if I could take it to where it is warm!

There was a thread a while back about a family living in their camper in extremely cold weather. He had all sorts of issues due to the cold and to keep things from freezing.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
OP's profile says Iowa. Which, after my dad spent 6 weeks there in January erecting a printing press (lots of time bring stuff from outside to inside), he didn't have nice things to say about Iowa-winters!

I think what OldCoot suggests is about the only way I'd live in my camper in the winter - if I could take it to where it is warm!

There was a thread a while back about a family living in their camper in extremely cold weather. He had all sorts of issues due to the cold and to keep things from freezing.
Weslaco, TX also has good weather in the winter if you can tolerate the wind and dust blowing practically 24/7. We bought a month at Snow to Sun in Jan 07 and left after 2 weeks due to the wind, etc. Went to FL and been going ever since.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dawsonville, GA
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by eharang View Post
For financial reasons, my wife and I are concidering living in our 2011 Rockwood Windjammer Model 3008W, full time for 6 months. We found a trailer park that has the hook up for us but I am concerned about the winter camping. Also should I support the slide outs if they will be out for that long of a period. So, any suggestions on long term and winter RV living?

Eric and Tammy
Yes, some people support their slide outs for extended periods of time.
__________________
Glen & Lee
Dawsonville, GA
2013 V-Cross Platinum 325VRL
2017 Ford F350 PSD
GlenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:06 AM   #6
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenZ View Post
Yes, some people support their slide outs for extended periods of time.
Though, most modern owners manuals advise against it. Some people still do it, of course.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Carrollton
Posts: 182
I had a friend on another site that camped all year around until his retirement went through and he installed tank heaters and bought a system to surround the bottom with a type of skirt. I know others who put hay bales around the outside of the trailer to keep the wind out from under the trailer. Also unless you have thermal windows you will get a lot of condensation. When we had our old Jayco we spent deer season in it and had to put towels under the windows to absorb the water from the condensation. You will also need to put heat tape on the water lines coming into the trailer.
__________________
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Splendora, Texas
Posts: 1,229
Most fivers or TTs are not designed for full time living. If I had to bet, I would say that the paperwork that came with your Windjanner states occasional use only. If an RV is under warranty and they know you are fulltiming in it they will void your warranty unless it is rated for fulltiming. That may not be an issue with you because yours may be out of warranty? Not many are rated for winter living and I do know that I would not want to spend even one night during winter in Iowa in my 2012 V-Cross 275 fiver.
We own a deeded RV lot on Lake Huron, UP, MI. It gets very cold there in the winter and by mid October, the RV park is closed for the winter. Good Luck
__________________

__________________
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 AM.