Old 01-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #11
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
On the Instant Pot can you fry chicken in it? Where did you buy yours at?
I don't see why you couldn't fry chicken with it. It's a deep pot and it has a "saute" option (we use that for browning meet and whatnot). But, we never have.

We bought ours from Amazon- catching various sales for them.

Here's the one we most recently purchased:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FLYWNYQ/

Old 01-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #12
padcarroll

We opted to use a portable electric fry pan and also a two burner portable burner unit. For pans we use lightweight nonstick nesting pans. A crock pot and pressure cooker combo finishes out our kitchen stuff. All can be easily moved outside when necessary to reduce heat and smells in the coach.

Dave and Pam Carroll
Callie - 9 yo chihuahua/yorky mix
2014 Legacy SR300 340BH
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Full-timing since January 2016
padcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:51 PM   #13

We have a TT with limited space so we looked for the best cooking utensil and found using the Nuwave which can cook almost anything you can think of was the best thing. We do have a couple of pots and a couple of small fry pans for things that can't be done in the Nuwave. But we use the Nuwave just about everyday.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:55 PM   #14

Quote:
On the Instant Pot can you fry chicken in it? Where did you buy yours at?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Buy the instant pot on Amazon. It's not a fryer. It's a "high tech" pressure cooker--but extremely easy to use. Pot roast in an hour. Cooks a whole chicken in about 20 minutes. Chicken and dumplings in about 40 minutes (including time to cook the chicken). Way better than a crock pot - faster and meat is more tender when cooked under pressure. Much safer than the old timey pressure cookers.
seakayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:15 PM   #15

As to the insta-pots and stove top pressure cookers, it depends on many factors. I have tried both the All-Clad electric and the stove-top pressure cookers. I prefer the stove top model. It is simple to use and you can manually adjust the pressure levels.

The more you know about cooking, the less you will like all these idiot proof electrical conveniences, because they limit you to lousy results.

But, hey, whatever. Some RVers simply prefer to eat out or quickly.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:45 PM   #16

We use our cast iron when we camp. it's good on the gas stove as well as our Big Green Egg. If I were going full time, I would just take the pots and pans I use at home. No need to buy new, unless you do have an induction stove top.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
Buy the instant pot on Amazon. It's not a fryer. It's a "high tech" pressure cooker--but extremely easy to use. Pot roast in an hour. Cooks a whole chicken in about 20 minutes. Chicken and dumplings in about 40 minutes (including time to cook the chicken). Way better than a crock pot - faster and meat is more tender when cooked under pressure. Much safer than the old timey pressure cookers.

The reason I asked about frying chicken in the instant pot was, that was the way Colonel Sanders use to fry his chicken, it made the chicken way more tender. I'll have to try one

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:35 PM   #18

Solar cooking

I cook in a solar oven as much as possible - at least a few times a week and possibly daily to heat up left-overs. I can roast a 3 1/2 # chicken with potatoes and carrots to a beautiful golden brown, meat falling from the bone, in 2 1/2 hours in the summer. (In winter, I'd cut all the pieces smaller and it would probably take a little longer.) Even though solar is slower, it takes no electricity or propane, the salient point for me, besides the fact that I've been solar cooking for decades (and am a Sun Oven distributor). I once lived off the grid and solar was my only way to cook for over a year. I only had three cold-food days (in Arizona).

Since I intend to do a lot of back country camping, I expect my solar oven to help me save lots of propane and battery, and help be stay longer.

For cookware, the best is dark-colored and lightweight. Because it's lightweight (and so is the oven - just 22 #), I'm happy to bring them all in the trailer, and the same cookware works in the regular oven and on the range.
Arizona
traveling with Famous Peaches, silver tabby cat, child of the Wild
Jean 7752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I don't see why you couldn't fry chicken with it. It's a deep pot and it has a "saute" option (we use that for browning meet and whatnot). But, we never have.

We bought ours from Amazon- catching various sales for them.

Here's the one we most recently purchased:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FLYWNYQ/
First X100 on the instantPot!

We have had ours for over a year and I am amazed at what it can do - it is truly superior to a old style pressure cooker or crock pot! Those who claim differently have not used a InstantPot and do not know what they are talking about

As to deep frying / pressure cooking chicken a La KFC - I wondered that as well and before I tried it I (fortunately!) found this article:
Is it dangerous to cook fried chicken in the pressure cooker?

In 3 words: Don't Do It! The KFC Pressure Cooker was specifically designed for KFC.

There are a lot of work around recipes that will give you tender and tasty "Fried" chicken though - and yep the InstantPot is the tool to use there!

If you want to have a tool that does a really (REALLY!) good job of mimicking deep fat frying, get this:
https://www.amazon.com/Nutrichef-Rot...red-Technology

We do not own one of these, but it is on my want list. Went to a pot luck and a guy who owned one was cranking out French fries that tasted like they were deep fat fried - without the mess and fuss (and unhealthiness) of grease. He told me that he had made "fried" chicken and it was delicious, moist and crunchy

OTOH if you want to have KFC-like fried chicken for dinner I'd recommend to just go to KFC and buy a bucket
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #20

Quote:
The reason I asked about frying chicken in the instant pot was, that was the way Colonel Sanders use to fry his chicken, it made the chicken way more tender. I'll have to try one
Be VERY careful deep frying in any kind of pressure cooker. Professional units have a number of safe guards on them. I would hate to be anywhere near one if the pressure relief valve popped.

Years ago, I went thru culinary school. I'll never be without the availability of a cast iron pan...

SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote