Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2019, 10:12 AM   #1
Pa Groundhog

Furrion Solar Charging Port

If you are like me, you shutter at the cost of accessories for campers. I came across a youtube video that has the connector for the port. He reminds us that you still require a controller between the port and the solar panel. The connector is CNLINKO YP20 The part# is LP-20-C02PE-01-001. Cost is around $11.
PaGroundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:29 AM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

Really irritating Forest River does not install a universal style plug. I have seen them install Zamp, Go Power, and now Furrion receptacles. Make them one standard plug, SAE or MC4 (the solar industry standard), and be done with it. Stop forcing people to buy adaptors, or modify stuff because you are doing business with flavor of the day solar vendor.

Same with the backup/observation cam 'mount'. Mine is a Furrion mount. It nicely accommodates a Furrion camera. Furrion cam systems are horribly overpriced. And if you get another brand, you need to use an adaptor plate on the mount, which makes the camera stick out and just look dumb in my opinion, instead of being recessed in the shark fin mount as intended.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:35 AM   #3
Pa Groundhog

It is such a pain. I hope this adapter saves people a lot of headaches and money. I am looking on EBAY right now. There are a lot of adapter styles. People need to pick the right one
Old 03-25-2019, 10:39 AM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

BTW Groundhog, if you add up the cost of all the 'accessories' you end up buying, you will have a stroke. Don't do it!
Old 03-25-2019, 10:54 AM   #5

$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
BTW Groundhog, if you add up the cost of all the 'accessories' you end up buying, you will have a stroke. Don't do it!
Yea that's the truth, last camper I did a bunch of "improvements" over the summer tracked it on a spreadsheet hit bit over $2000.

Waiting on my new Rockwood and so far in my Amazon Camper Wish List I have $1,200 worth of stuff.

Could this be a sickness?
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #6
Pa Groundhog

Quote:
I did this on my side by side.... I have over $6000 in accessories.... I know the shock. I also have a 1972 Lark camper. Keeping it all original has its cost too.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:02 AM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

$17,624 for the camper. $4,737 for camper stuff. Not letting wife know how much you spent for the camper stuff: Priceless. Still want to add and observation cam. That will push camper stuff over 5k!
Old 03-25-2019, 03:49 PM   #8

Quote:
$17,624 for the camper. $4,737 for camper stuff. Not letting wife know how much you spent for the camper stuff: Priceless. Still want to add and observation cam. That will push camper stuff over 5k!

I hear ya Kris! But you know what they say about the difference between men and boys....
We haven't had our TT long enough for me to even start thinking about solar, but it's coming. This thread will be handy when I get there.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:52 PM   #9
Trailer Park Supervisor

Wanna hear something really crazy?? I bought most of the camper 'stuff' in the year before we even chose or bought a camper!
Old 03-25-2019, 03:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Wanna hear something really crazy?? I bought most of the camper 'stuff' in the year before we even chose or bought a camper!

That's not crazy, that's preparing.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:06 PM   #11
Pa Groundhog

I spent the day researching and getting educated on solar charging. I came to the conclusion that I will only need one panel and the controller with cables. The max input on the camper connection is 10amps. It charges the battery only so no converter. My concern is the number of crap controllers and junk panels. Reviews were all over the place. A seasoned user knows the good from the bad compared to a person who has owned his solar system for a week. **** Which system do you like and why?**** Not looking to spend over $200 Thanks for any input.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:29 PM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

Groundhog, I was able to score a 100W Renogy suitcase with controller on Amazon for 201 bucks. It usually costs quite a bit more, but I had it on my Amazon wishlist for some time, and when the price suddenly dropped I ordered. They seem to have good reviews, the build quality is decent, and they were very responsive to my inquiries and addressing any concerns (My panel arrived with damaged support leg hardware). Only tested mine once to make sure it was working. Had to buy a Renogy adaptor for the SAE type plug on side of trailer, and I bought MC4 connector terminated cables from Windy Nation, were much less than Renogy cables.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:25 PM   #13
Pa Groundhog

That was one of the complaints about that brand. Stuff arrived incomplete and the controllers were bad. Some complained that they had to pay for return shipping and would be reimbursed if the item was defective. What did you end up with, for a total cost? I found their 100 watt flex panel for $100 but the issue with it was there are no grommet holes that allow you to mount it. I saw kits for $130.
They were other brands though.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:05 AM   #14
Trailer Park Supervisor

I originally bought it for 274+tax. The day I got it, I saw they were selling it for 201 bucks. I called to see if they would make up the difference in the price and they said no, I would have to return it. So I did, and re-ordered it at the 201 price. I think I had free return shipping, because I said it was missing a part (it was advertised to come with a temperature sensor wire, that changes charging cycle depending on temperature). My unit already came with 100W on the roof from the factory. I didn't want another roof unit, I wanted to be able to extend a panel away from the trailer, so I could keep the trailer in shade if possible.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:53 AM   #15
Pa Groundhog

I often wonder the same thing. Why do people roof mount solar panels? I never park in the sun unless I have to.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:02 AM   #16
Trailer Park Supervisor

Convenience and charge as you travel, reduced chance of theft. A remote panel will be best, as you can re-orient panel throughout day for maximum insolation. These panels work best when tilted/rotated so the rays of the sun are at a 90 degree angle to the sun. Some people have hardware that allows tilting on the roof, but they don't rotate to follow sun. And no way would I be climbing on the roof to do so.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:04 AM   #17

I roof mounted mine:
  • so it will stay charged without being plugged in
  • because most of our southwest trips have no particular shade anyway
  • we are usually away from the trailer during the day
We seldom camp off grid, I'm trying to educate myself for when we do.

I got a Renology panel (and roof mount hardware) no problems with delivery, price was comparable to others I found.
I used a Tri-metric charge controller since I already had a Tri-metric battery monitor.
.. and I'm still in the learning phase.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:39 AM   #18

while these 'hookups' installed at the factory might seem a good idea, the reality is that they are essentially not needed... you can easily wire your wire outputs from the solar controller directly to your battery(s) yourself.

if you have a 'permanent' mount of panels, this makes sense - you wouldn't want to use any wall-mounted hookup anyway...

if you are truly wanting to have your panels 'portable', then maybe using a wall-mounted hookup seems 'easier', but it's just as easy to attach your primary cables to your battery(s), leaving the wiring coiled up near the batteries during travel, bringing them out for connection to your panels, when you arrive.
Some of us may have a 'suitcase' or similar portable set of panels with a built-in controller, leaving only the output wires to connect to the battery(s)...
while others of us may have full size panels where the controller stays permanently connected to the battery(s) all the time, requiring only the input wires to be connected to the panels when they are set up.

the 'factory installed' solar connections are kind of the 'given' now, as manufacturers are lured by the desire of the RVing public to have easy access to solar, and have the push from the solar providers to 'build in' these attractive accessories in order to bring more buyers to their doors. These 'accessories' provided by the factories are generally just simple installations that don't require much work, but seem to make the new owners feel as though they 'must' use this connection versus doing something on their own, with the later probably being more productive.
Few realize that many of these connections are somewhat limiting, since the small wires they use aren't really designed for the real amount of solar power AMPS that you need to make any noticeable difference in the outcome you are looking for, and investing in, with solar panels.

Having a 'little' bit of solar power is like arriving at your favorite campground to find that your 30amp outlet has been 'upgraded' to 31amps(!).... wow! : /

Most campers would be much better off adding another battery to their collection, which might double the amount of time 'off-grid', and cost much, much less than a collection of solar panels - and the new battery doesn't care if the Sun is out, or you are parked in the shade, or not!

travel, get some sunshine, enjoy! : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:07 AM   #19

will this one work? I purchased a solar panel in Canada and the adapter that was "supposed" to be furrion compatible. It does not work. We even re-wired to reverse polarity. Makes me wonder if my camper is actually "plug and play" as promised by the dealer.
seizethebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:48 AM   #20
Pa Groundhog

It seems like a lot more people want to boon dock. They want to get away from all the stress of life so they take along their laptop, TV, and video games. All the same crap they were trying to get away from. The Solar adapter, that was so kindly mounted on the side of my camper, will only handle 10 amps. The manufacturer may think like me. I just want to run my lights at night and maybe the furnace. One 100 watt solar panel will do the trick. The issue I have is that there does not seem to be a standard plug in the industry. Like cell phones... we would need a drawer full of cables for each camper over the years. I am glad I was able to find the adapter for mine. Now I can choose any brand of panel with a controller.

Tags
charging, solar