Old 11-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #11
Wanna Be Camper
We do as above but take the outside fridge vent cover off and put a piece of plastic ove the opening then replace the cover. We do this as FR only puts silicone along the bottom edge and up maybe an inch on the side of the opening leaving the the sides and top open to water damage and delamination as this aera will fill with snow when the winds are right then melt. I believe it was Crocus who picked this one up last winter and I checked and sure enough ours was made just like he said his 5ver was.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2013: 16 2014: 5 2015: 3
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:19 AM   #12
Rodent control

I have used dryer sheets to keep the mice out. I place one in all the cabinets, dresser drawers and inside storage areas in my tt. So far so good.

kjoh75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:34 PM   #13
MI Camperz

We cover with a breathable RV cover here in Michigan. Don't want all that snow and slush on the roof!
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #14
In addition to what has already been said..We leave all the cabinet and appliance doors open for air circulation....remove the LCD several trays of BBQ charcoal around to absorb moisture...leave the ceiling vents open a bit also....lube /lock de-ice all locks in case I want to get something out when it's -30c...make sure the insurance is paid up ...and pray that spring come quickly.
2015 Sabre Silloutte Select 312 RKDS
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4 SXT 6.4l Hemi 3:73's
Former Michelin Tire Guy
kevnval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #15
We use the air compressor to blow out all the lines after draining the system. We remove the water filter, then replace the plastic cover to blow the system. I open each hot and cold tap in turn and then do each again. You can feelmthe air against yournhand and see whether there is any moisture. The plastic filter cover is left off, as is the bottom of the water pump. Don't forget inside and outside showers and the toilet! Then we dump the antifreeze into the drains. Last year we also left the grey / black valves open (After thorough cleaning) but ran into a little problem when a forgotten 1/2 filled 5 gallon jug of distilled water sitting in the shower pan burst. The result with temp warm enough to melt the water inside, but cold enough to freeze ouside, was a frozen waterfall from the drain! Weird Chinook winds that give you warm weather in the middle of winter!

I would also look through again to make sure there aren't forgotten items that might burst - the can of soda for example.
2011 Georgetown 320DS new June 2010
days camped in 2010: 61
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:35 AM   #16
If you can, go drain the antifreeze out the water heater.
2012 Rockwood 8314BSS
2011 Chevy
Camping, Dutch Oven Cooking, and Homebrewing
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #17
Using air to blow out water lines for winterizing?

For the past three years I have used low pressure, about 20psi, to blow all the water out of the water lines in my 5th. wheel then pump pink RV antifreeze into the system (after bypassing the water heater).
I just purchased a new Sabre and the dealer rep., told me using air pressure was not recommended due to all the check valves in the system.
I can understand if high pressure, 60 or 70 psi, was used but not very low pressure as has been recommended by a lot of people.
Any comments on using air during winterizing?
2014 Cedar Creek 34 RLSA-7
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #18
Good question. So where are those check valves? The system has to stand up to water pressure of 45psi. If you blow out the system you don't buy the antifreeze.
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #19
There is a check valve on the city water inlet. That is why when you use the pump and fresh water tank the water does not flow out the city in let. I know because the check valve on my unit was not working and when I was dry camping and turned on the water pump there was a stream of water coming from my city water outlet. There is also a check valve at the water pump. This stops the water from backing up into the fresh water tank.
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #20
Just a simple inexpensive trick to keep the rodents away " BOUNCE SHEETS " everywhere, never had a problem with the critters !!!

kidhoule is offline   Reply With Quote