Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 10:07 AM   #21

Boliy weighs 70 lbs with pull start and about 78 lbs with electric start

BOLIY Comparison

I can't imagine picking up a heavier generator. A similarly sized Champion generator is about 95 lbs but not shown in the comparison link above.

HARBOR FREIGHT HAS A 2200 WATT CONTINUOUS INVERTER GENERATOR ON SALE FOR 349.99. It has a 2500 watt surge capacity and may be sufficient for OP's needs.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:38 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post

HARBOR FREIGHT HAS A 2200 WATT CONTINUOUS INVERTER GENERATOR ON SALE FOR 349.99. It has a 2500 watt surge capacity and may be sufficient for OP's needs.
What's the decibel rating on it?
I bet it's higher than other inverter generators.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:23 PM   #23

As far as powering your home. When I bought my Yamaha, I sized it to run our boiler for heat and the fridge and small chest freezer, the Yamaha 2400 fit the bill for that, and I have used it for that on several occasions. I did not buy to to run the AC on our fifth wheel, no hookups no AC.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:25 PM   #24

generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQGUY View Post
Is your trailer gen-ready?

It is when I bring the gen along in the "Little Creeker".

C.B.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:35 PM   #25

Quiet is not an absolute requirement -- just a nice to have.

If you need the AC because it is too hot to to sleep (think Florida / summer) and have to run the generator all night to survive you may want quiet. It's hard to imagine just how loud some generators are until you have to listen to them. Unless you are deaf, of course.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:52 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbvp View Post
It is when I bring the gen along in the "Little Creeker".

C.B.
Sweet setup.
retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
What's the decibel rating on it?
I bet it's higher than other inverter generators.
Reference Harbor Freight Inverter Gen on sale:

Web research of this generators shows that it is identical to an ETQ generator and a reviewer stated 59 db at 1,000 watt load.

As with any Chinese generator, the rated output is optimistic. I did some additional research on the harbor freight generator and it is more of a 1800-1900 watt generator at sea level and about 1600 watts at altitude.

All inverter gen's are "loud" at full load. I don't know about you but if I'm running my air conditioning, I'm not hearing much outside anyway. The a/c in my fiver is quite loud with all of that noise of air being pushed out of hte ductwork.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:51 AM   #28
Site Team

Your requirements /wants are mutually exclusive. You may want to look at two.
A 2K mid range inverter generator ( Generac) for camping and a 7.5K range for home. You can use the 2K with an extension cord to run a fridge at home but if you have two or a freezer, you will have to move the power around to keep both cold as it will not run both . As you say you are in the country, you most likely have a well. Most well pumps are 220VAC so the small 2K will not work for the well. In addition, the one you need for home is too heavy and too loud to use for camping.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:03 AM   #29

I bought one of these. With my fridge and hot water heater running on propane, it will run my 15K air conditioner, a couple lights and the tv in my toy hauler. Also enough to run a fridge, light, sump pump in case of an emergency at the house. Fairly quiet, doesn't burn a ton of fuel.

Champion Power Equipment 3,100-Watt Gasoline Powered Recoil Start Portable Inverter Generator-75531i - The Home Depot

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:04 AM   #30
Insert witty title here

I Like this generator for my RV.

Champion Power Equipment Portable Inverter Generator — 3100 Surge Watts, 2800 Rated Watts, Model# 75531i | Inverter Generators| Northern Tool + Equipment

Mine has a remote start feature as well.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:12 AM   #31

Gen Ready?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQGUY View Post
Is your trailer gen-ready?
I'm not sure what that means. The salesman said simply "plug it into" either house current or a generator and it will take care of powering bot 12v and 110v circuits in the trailer. Is anything else needed?
mrgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:33 AM   #32

Generator Almost Selected - Reliability?

OK....You all have been extremely helpful.

We picked up our new Palomini 180FB last week, dragged it the 550 miles back to our home in CO and have been going through the various manuals as well as investigating its features "hands on." We have a lot to learn!

I told you all earlier that I'd hoped to find a generator that could be used for camping as well as emergency power for our home. Thanks to your input, it was clear that the very best were the inverter (sine wave) generators from Honda and Yamaha -- but that they weren't gonna be cheap.

I've eliminated H and Y because they are just too pricey. But there are alternatives that meet all my critical needs.

Westinghouse makes an "Explorer" line that uses copper windings in the alternator and is claimed to produce less than 5% THD. It is also relatively quiet at below 70db at full load. I'm pretty sure they are made in China -- but isn't almost everything?

Another company, an industrial conglomerate from China named "Lifan" also makes non-inverter, low-THD generators. It also claims to produce power clean enough for even the most sensitive electronics, and it too, is below 70db.

Both are under 700 bucks for a mid-sized generator (3kw to 4.5 kw). The Lifan includes a 240v outlet (to support my well pump in an emergency).

Both are under 110lbs and have wheels. It is tough to find much in the way of owner testimonial online because they both have only been in this generator market for 2-3 years. But comments I have found speak well of the products from both companies. Lifan owners say the assembly instructions are written badly, but other than that, they all get more than passing grades.

I expect to make a purchase next week. Any thoughts on the products from these 2 companies?

Fall is here in the mountains and I need to get all the loose ends tied up, and get the unit ready for winter. So an RV cover will be next.

Thanks again for all your help!
Old 09-13-2016, 11:52 AM   #33

Champion Generators

When I initially made this post, a number of folks spoke highly of Champion generators. Also, folks here warned to use a generator with 5% or less THD in order to protect sensitive equipment. Inverters were high on the list of those making clean power. But inverters are generally lower wattage and very expensive.

It seemed there were alternatives that while not as light and quiet as inverters, had good performance at a relatively low cost. I almost went for a Lifan Platinum unit or a Westinghouse "Explorer," because both claimed to make very clean power through all-copper windings...but I now have doubts about the dependability of the Lifan and the cost-competitiveness of the Westinghouse.

So, I'm back to looking at 3500-watt Champions.

Champion makes both inverters and conventional generators that they claim produce less than 5% THD -- even though they use aluminum windings. They are reasonably quiet at 68db. To boot, Champion owners rave about their reliability.

Anyone had a bad experience with a Champion? I'll probably buy one today.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:28 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgem View Post
They are reasonably quiet at 68db. To boot, Champion owners rave about their reliability.

Anyone had a bad experience with a Champion? I'll probably buy one today.

Thanks for your advice.
68db is NOT reasonably quiet.
That's the noise rating of their open frame contractor type generator.
I know cause I own one and I would NEVER use it in a campground.

Champion's inverter generators are much quieter and a good price.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator