Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #1

Generator Use Tips

First, thanks to all who chimed in with their advice on the choice of a generator. Based on your comments, I've chosen a Champion 3800-watt unit. I know it will not be whisper-quiet and light as a feather like inverter units from Japan, but it is a good compromise and most of you who've had them find them acceptable and a very good value.

Now, I have a few questions on their use...

The first question I have regards positioning your generator. I have a 30-ft TT30-to-110v cord, so I am limited to placing the gen 30-feet or closer to my trailer.

What I was planning on doing is to just leave the generator in the bed of my pickup. This thing weighs 120lbs so I hate to unload from the truck and load it if I do not have to. However, the owner's manual specifically advises against running it from a pickup bed. So where else might I locate it so its noise is minimized and it is level and stable?

The second bit of advice I am looking for regards grounding of the generator. The machine has a grounding lug on its control panel and the manual says I can just ground it to the frame with a 12-gauge or heavier strap . No ground strap is provided, though, so I'm wondering what others use. It also says you can ground it to a copper ground stake that is driven into the soil. That sounds like more than a little bit of a hassle.

What do you all do to ground your generator when camping?

Thanks for your help.
mrgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:36 AM   #2

Most C/G sites are NOT 30' wide,so your Neighbors will be Impacted with Your Noise! Now if you are Boondocking just Buy a Ex cord that will place the Genny as Far away as makes You comfy! Youroo!!
Old 09-18-2016, 11:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgem View Post
First, thanks to all who chimed in with their advice on the choice of a generator. Based on your comments, I've chosen a Champion 3800-watt unit. I know it will not be whisper-quiet and light as a feather like inverter units from Japan, but it is a good compromise and most of you who've had them find them acceptable and a very good value.

Now, I have a few questions on their use...

The first question I have regards positioning your generator. I have a 30-ft TT30-to-110v cord, so I am limited to placing the gen 30-feet or closer to my trailer.

What I was planning on doing is to just leave the generator in the bed of my pickup. This thing weighs 120lbs so I hate to unload from the truck and load it if I do not have to. However, the owner's manual specifically advises against running it from a pickup bed. So where else might I locate it so its noise is minimized and it is level and stable?

The second bit of advice I am looking for regards grounding of the generator. The machine has a grounding lug on its control panel and the manual says I can just ground it to the frame with a 12-gauge or heavier strap . No ground strap is provided, though, so I'm wondering what others use. It also says you can ground it to a copper ground stake that is driven into the soil. That sounds like more than a little bit of a hassle.

What do you all do to ground your generator when camping?

Thanks for your help.
Leaving it in the bed of the truck is fine . if you have no topper even better . no real need to ground unit . you can but not necessary. I use a copper rod into the ground then a clamp but have found it was overkill .
lots of campgrounds have hours where generators can be run and yours is not as loud as a lot of diesel boilers in lots of motor coaches and doesn't smell as bad . and not everyone goes to campgrounds to camp
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:53 AM   #4

Good luck with your new generator and also with your neighbors giving you the evil eye Lots of threads/articles concerning grounding. I've never actually seen anybody ground their portables.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:22 PM   #5

Leaving it in the bed of the truck is fine. I've done the same for years.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgem View Post
I'm sorry but most of us that own the Champion 3800 would NEVER use it in a campground.

Yes it's a great value but it isn't appropriate for campground usage.

I use mine for backup power for the house.

Not sure where you got the idea most approve of it for campgrounds. :what:
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:45 AM   #7

to be a good campground neighbor then you use no generator cause your honda is very annoying to many as is any generator use . but if your going to use them then all need to be accepted . some love to think their stuff don't stink . but nothing worse then camping out where there are few other campers and the guy with his honda thinks he can run it all night just because it's not a rv park .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:01 AM   #8

most parks only allow inverter type generators. Champion makes open frame and the inverter type.

you probably wont make friends by using an open frame, it will significantly louder.

I run my generator in my truck bed under the camper shell when it rains. It works fine
Old 09-19-2016, 10:06 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Where did the OP say they were going to use this generator in a campground?

I agree it would NOT be acceptable but I also didn't see where using it in a campground was mentioned. Maybe the plans are to use it boondocking somewhere alone?

To the OP... I see no reason you couldn't leave the genny in the back of the truck.
I've done it MANY times.
If you have a topper, open the windows and leave the t/gate open.
If no topper, just fire it up.

There is no harm in using a 30 amp extension cord either.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:15 AM   #10

Just a little off topic, but all those who are running a genny in the back of a pickup are you a least putting some sort of vibration damping ( as in rubber mat) under the gen to absorb some of the vibration/noise from the frame of the unit sitting on the bed of the truck?
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by wana65stang View Post
Just a little off topic, but all those who are running a genny in the back of a pickup are you a least putting some sort of vibration damping ( as in rubber mat) under the gen to absorb some of the vibration/noise from the frame of the unit sitting on the bed of the truck?
I have a rubber mat in the bed of my pickup.
The genny sets on it.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:27 AM   #12
Insert witty title here

If you run it in the back of the truck, make sure the exhaust is pointed away from any bed liner you may have or it will melt.

Don't ask me how I know that.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:31 AM   #13

I just bought the Champion 3400 (gas) with an inverter. This model will fit under my pick up bed cover for secure storage and protection. I also purchased an auxiliary fuel tank and hose system that connects to the genny (12 gallon tank with the same connections that many boats have).
I bought this for when on the road I can stop at one of many legal places available and stay over night and run the TT (Flagstaff 27 BEWS w/15K AC). I plan to chain lock the generator and fuel tank to the TT tongue so I can secure the truck bed at night. I do not plan on running the genny in a campsite or RV park that has power hookups.
This generator will also serve as a home back up in the event of long term power outages that previous weather has produced.
Yes, I will have to lift the generator in and out of the truck bed, not a problem, (today...) but depending on what is stored in the back of the truck may dictate other options later.
RMc
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #14

So as to not disturb the noise police (ssshh they are sleeping), I have a Champion generator and also run it from the back of my truck. Usually it is for Walmart camping only. I don't have a rubber mat and don't find the vibration all that bad. Then again I am firing it up quite late and after a long day of travel so not much would bother me. Definitely keep it pointed away from the bed rails of your truck. I position it in the centre of the bed and let er rip.

I don't use mine in a CG, but I do take it on all winter camping trips and have used it in the winter when the power has went out.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:36 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
some love to think their stuff don't stink . but nothing worse then camping out where there are few other campers and the guy with his honda thinks he can run it all night just because it's not a rv park .
What campgrounds are you talking about?

Every public campground(state/national/county) I've been to, in 30 years of camping, DON'T allow running generators overnight.
They all had specific generator hours.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 11-08-2016, 01:38 PM   #16

We've only seen "generator hours" at NASCAR races. But even then, we've had a doctor's certificate to be allowed to run it for my husbands c-pap machine.
When boondocking, would you be expected to sleep in 90 degree weather without running the generator?
CardinalQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalQueen View Post
We've only seen "generator hours" at NASCAR races. But even then, we've had a doctor's certificate to be allowed to run it for my husbands c-pap machine.
When boondocking, would you be expected to sleep in 90 degree weather without running the generator?
Hmm, how many campgrounds have you been to? Never seen a public CG that didn't have quiet/generator hours. And if you have specific power requirements you should look into devices that run on 12v or get an inverter. Some folks do feel entitled though (we try to avoid those......😁 ). We boondock 80℅ of the time in the southwest and rarely run the a/c past 10pm. We do have a 12v fan though...
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:43 PM   #18
Insert witty title here

I had the camper out a couple weekends ago at a no hookup site. I found out after it was too late that my trailer batteries were shot and I was counting on those to run my propane furnace during the overnight quiet hours since it got quite chilly at night. What saved me was the fact the campground was nearly empty and my closest neighbor had no problems with me running the generator all night despite quiet hours starting at 10pm. Otherwise, I may have found a cheap motel in the area.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:00 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Every campground I've been to, for the past 30 years, had generator hours.

So maybe you usually stay at places with electric hookups where they don't need generator hours.

Many c-pap owners simply use a 12v DC adapter or use an inverter.
No need for a generator.

And if it's 90 degrees, then stay where there's hookups, if you want to avoid generator hours.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:07 PM   #20
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Yes! If there were rules in place about quiet hours, it does not matter the temperature or how uncomfortable you are. No generators.

I realize this is a slippery slope but the doctors certificate wouldn't fly at most of the campgrounds I've stayed at that had quiet hours. You either adhere to the rules or relocate.

I would think rather than present a certificate to 'allow you exception' for running your generator where/when prohibited, you should be looking for alternate ways to power your equipment and abide by the rules like everyone else.

Tags
generator