Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #1

Genesis 3 Audio/video

We have a new Rockwood Windjammer with the Genesis 3 audio video system. When we play a CD it also turns the television on. Is there a way to make it play a CD without the TV coming on? I know that it turns the TV on when you put in a DVD, but it should recognize the CD is music only.
Have any of you had this experience or have a suggestion?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forest River Forums mobile app
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Are you using the remote to play the CD?

I don't understand how the G3 is controlling your TV?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:54 AM   #3

With everything off at start, I turn on the G3 and insert a music CD. The G3 reads it, turns on the TV (which has a static picture of some sunny beach somewhere, everytime) and then plays the CD music. If I turn off the TV manually, it stops the music from playing. Weird. It is automatically turning on the TV anytime a disc is inserted, be it CD or DVD. This trailer was in the Fun Town showroom for a month, playing movies, so I am wondering if they altered it or is this just the way everyone's G3 functions.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
With everything off at start, I turn on the G3 and insert a music CD. The G3 reads it, turns on the TV (which has a static picture of some sunny beach somewhere, everytime) and then plays the CD music. If I turn off the TV manually, it stops the music from playing. Weird. It is automatically turning on the TV anytime a disc is inserted, be it CD or DVD. This trailer was in the Fun Town showroom for a month, playing movies, so I am wondering if they altered it or is this just the way everyone's G3 functions.
You've got the Genesis and the TV connected via HDMI cable which allows communication between the two I assume. Read your TV manual and see if there is an option to change it to basically ignore that signal coming from the GT to turn on.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
Trying to get my head around how the TV is getting turned on by the G3. Is there a setting in the TV's manual about "Turn on on signal" or something like that?

You are correct that there is a music "splash screen" while a CD is playing. So a video signal is being sent to the TV. My concern is how the TV is turning itself on as a TV issue and not a G3 one.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:23 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Trying to get my head around how the TV is getting turned on by the G3. Is there a setting in the TV's manual about "Turn on on signal" or something like that?

You are correct that there is a music "splash screen" while a CD is playing. So a video signal is being sent to the TV. My concern is how the TV is turning itself on as a TV issue and not a G3 one.
Herk, dustman has it correct - the TV gets a message from the Genesis via HDMI. It's pretty neat stuff because not only does it turn on the TV, it switches the input to DVD. It makes it easy for writing instructions ("Put DVD in + press play").

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
You've got the Genesis and the TV connected via HDMI cable which allows communication between the two I assume. Read your TV manual and see if there is an option to change it to basically ignore that signal coming from the GT to turn on.
For the OP- I've only ever played DVDs with it and it works exactly as you describe. I've literally never put a CD into the Genesis so I have no idea if the TV would do it the same. All of our music is played from our iPhone/iPod/iPad via Bluetooth.

My TV does have an option for disabling it.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:31 AM   #7

I will look, but I suspect it is HDMI connected. BTW - the TV doesn't come on with the G3 connected to my S-III phone via the USB cable, haven't used Bluetooth to play music, although it is linked. I let it charge the phone while connected anyway. I'll look for a setting on my TV to see if turning its self on can be disabled as we listen to CD's more than we watch DVD's; I don't want to have the TV on unnecessarily and use up the life expectancy of the LEDs. Thanks everyone
Old 06-02-2014, 08:43 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

If you have it connected via HDMI, it makes sense as the audio output of the G3 would be in that same cable to the TV.

You may have to disable the HDMI "wake on signal" from the HDMI cable in your TV's setup menu.