Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2015, 05:54 PM   #1

Getting full signal WiFi in camp grounds

Just thought I would let everyone know how easy it is to boost your WiFi signal in camp grounds . We own a spot at a camp ground and we are at the end of owners row and the parks WiFi signal we were getting was 1 bar and very weak , I told the wife to cool down after she couldn't do her face book lol . The next day I called Techno RV and talked to them ( they are great ) and explained our problem and he told me what I needed , 1 receiver and 1 booster and so I ordered and had it less than 1 day . Very easy to set up and now we have full strength signal and it gives us our own hot spot with pass word protection . And if we move it will work at the next park we end up at ( we also camp with a club ) . Just thought I would let everyone know about TECHNO RV being that's all they do is stuff for RV's .
14 CC 38CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:34 PM   #2

Very interesting. We're looking for a wifi booster and this looks like a simple set up. Looked up their web site. Which exact set up did you end up getting? The Alfa and a booster?
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:38 PM   #3

That's what we got and couldn't be happier , took all of 10 mins to set up and works with all smart devises , phones , pads , and computers with blue tooth hook up
Old 07-08-2015, 06:41 PM   #4

Thanks 14. I'll get the better half to study up on it---she's the computer geek around here. All I know how to do is turn it on and buy stuff from Amazon!!!
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:45 PM   #5

We like to sit outside and listen to the radio and I wifi in on my phone and connect it to my stereo inside by blue tooth and with a weak signal it kept coming and going , now it's on all the time , I set it up with my iPad , you don't have to use the computer to do so
Old 07-09-2015, 09:21 AM   #6

I am looking at Techno site now and I see the Alfa booster and the WiFi repeater is that what you purchased?
I can't find a receiver.
Thanks
Chuck
octo692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:29 AM   #7

Here's a video showing one method of improving you wifi. I found this after I set up my own system doing just what he did. It works great and is not that difficult to set up.
Private RV Wi-Fi and Making a Better Park Connection for Under $100 | Outside Our Bubble
Old 07-09-2015, 12:09 PM   #8

I just set up the Nano Station and Air Gateway as mentioned on the Outside Our Bubble Video. Works great at home, can't wait to try it on our upcoming trip.

had a 2015 Rockwood 8281 WS - traded for another brand.
2016 RAM 3500
DNBINFV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:28 PM   #9
rd3

very interesting
rd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #10
7 Year Class A RV'er

Can anybody explain a bit more about how this works?? I see that everyone seems to like it but I can't understand how connecting to a very weak signal and then magnifying that signal to have an extended reach makes communication back to the origination point any faster or stronger. I have WiFi extenders at my house, but I place them where they still have a strong signal from the original access point and they simply expand the coverage area. In other words, if you only have a single bar of reception at your campsite, then the receiver for this device is only connecting to the main network through that signal. Your devices may show 5 bars or whatever in their connection to the receiver, but it's still working backwards with only a single bar. Just need some help understanding what it's doing for you. Thanks.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:36 PM   #11

Yes I bought the Alfa and booster and after not being able to stay on the campground wifi we are able to now and also the DW plays her games , don't know how it works but all I can say it does , before we were able to get on there wifi but nothing would load and now it's as fast as it is here at home most of the time
Old 07-09-2015, 03:32 PM   #12

Can this be used with just the campground Wifi or do you have to have a smart phone to make it work which I don't have. I'm still old school flip phone. But I have a I-pad I can use.
rwmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:35 PM   #13

I wonder if this will help on WIFI that is saturated. For instance, at Goshen last year there were so many folks trying to use the WIFI that it was overloaded - I can only imagine what it will be like this year
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #14

I set mine up with an iPad and now anyone that visits can use it with my pass word with there smartphones and so on , not sure if it would help if the system is over loaded but it does set up a hot spot so it might help you recieve better than most
Old 07-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #15
7 Year Class A RV'er

HSVBamaBob: Can't imagine it would help with that regardless of how it works. There's only so much bandwidth coming into the park and once that's gone, it's gone. It's like what happens to your shower when someone flushes all your toilets at the same time.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:42 PM   #16

But most campgrounds have set up there wifi to handle enough to cover there size , being most people are asked in reviews what is the most important thing to them and wifi coverage is always one of the top if not the top questions asked , so most have set there systems up to handle heavy usage , but being able to recieve the signal is hard for them to get right and costly . All I know is this system has helped us 110%
Old 07-09-2015, 04:51 PM   #17
7 Year Class A RV'er

Not questioning the system at all; I'm researching it as we speak, in fact. All I was saying was the pipe, per se, coming into the campground is only so big and regardless of what the surveys tell them, I have yet to see any campground that has made WiFi a top concern. In fact, almost all the campgrounds we've stayed in had such bad WiFi service that we wound up just using our iPad hotspot so we could get on the internet - forget any streaming services. Besides, even if they did take the time to size the service based on the campground occupancy, they would base it on most likely something like 40% occupancy. The other thing that has happened is campgrounds had their systems installed a few years ago when you could anticipate that probably 1 in 4 sites would actually use WiFi and those would only use it for a single device. Now, you probably have 90% of the sites using WiFi and they're each one connecting 3-5 devices. The campgrounds' technology is just lagging sorely behind the world and probably always will.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:42 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
HSVBamaBob: Can't imagine it would help with that regardless of how it works. There's only so much bandwidth coming into the park and once that's gone, it's gone. It's like what happens to your shower when someone flushes all your toilets at the same time.
At Goshen I had a repeater. Nothing there to get.
I also turned on by water pump to enough pressure to shower with. Water pressure was pretty low at times near my end of the park.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:52 PM   #19

I think this discussion is overlooking the best wifi extenders on the market and apparently at a better price than what Jk510 quotes above for "under 100". Check out Bearextender.com I've been using their products when I travel in hotels for a couple of years now. Just recently they have added a unit for 49.95 specifically for RV folks. I have it and it works as promised. The reviews for Bear products from professional reviewers are tops. I know from personal experience that their customer service is also great -- people who know the product and are based in the U.S.
BobFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:56 AM   #20

Please do you have a web address for techno rv. We are on a trip to Alaska and for the most part Wifi is non-exist ant. We planned to send updates and Picts and wifi is so p-poor that it is nearly impossible
dwebster is offline   Reply With Quote