Old 07-25-2015, 01:38 PM   #1

Good brands of dehumidifiers for RVs?

We are going to store our RV 30 miles inland from the Pacific ocean. We anticipate humidity issues. We've been checking out dehumidifier units intended for stick-built homes.

It was suggested to us that we circumvent the collection tank and leave the unit in a sink or shower to dump into gray water. If you have used a dehumidifier, how often must we be there in person to check it?

Any advice, brand names and experience is appreciated.

Shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:54 PM   #2

Do a search, I did a review of the one I bought for the TT. I can't think of the name of it right now and I'm at work. I drain it into the kitchen sink, the bathroom was too closed off from the rest of the trailer even with the door open. It seems to cycle too much. If I were purchasing again I would probably buy the model I found with no humidity setting, just an on/ off switch and put it on a timer to run 2 hours on 2 hours off. Don't get a small one with a peltier cell and no compressor, they don't remove enough water.

Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:50 PM   #3

Good brands of dehumidifiers for 5th wheels

Sorry, Brewhedd, I don't know what "TT" is or where I search for it.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #4
Site Team

We have a 30 pint dehumidifier we put in while storing between trips when humidity is high. I ran a separate power cord through the bottom of the TT to allow me to plug into my 30A outlet and not have converter powered ( too many T-Storms here). I ran a 1/2" hose thru the floor to the outside and never have to worry about emptying anything. If you run in a drain, be careful to get hose into a drain, you can get staining from the drain hose. Keeps humidity low an no mold issues.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:56 PM   #5
Dutchtexan

Dehumidifier

FYI, TT stands for Travel Trailer, i have used the small dehumidifier called
Eva-Dry model EDV-1100 you can get them from Amazon or eBay for $50 or less. I used one in our Lance truck camper for a couple of years already and purchased 2 more for our new TT a few months ago. They have all worked very well and drain a lot of water from the air out every day. I tapped a small fitting in each of them and ran a drain line to the sinks put one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom. We leave them plugged in and running 24/7. They are very small and are adout the size of a gallon of milk.
Dutchtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:36 AM   #6

Here's a link to the one I bought-

http://www.amazon.com/EdgeStar-Energ...ct_top?ie=UTF8

It's a 30 pint which is small enough to fit on the counter and drain into the sink. I wouldn't buy one any smaller and a larger one would be too big to handle in an RV. The drain feature is one you want as you don't want to be running out to the RV every day to empty the tank. This one has a garden hose type fitting. I went to Lowe's and bought a 45 degree adapter with about a foot or so of clear tubing, worked great. They do have a maximum temperature they can operate in but this probably won't affect you. As I said though, if I were to buy one again I would buy one without the adjustable humidity setting capability. I would buy one with an on/off switch and put it on a timer. This way you could set it up to cycle in on/off intervals of 2 or 4 hours, whatever would be necessary to keep the humidity around 50%.

Also, this site has a search feature at the top of the page to search this site for specific subjects which is very handy.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:16 AM   #7

Duh! I could only think of TL - Trailer Life? Tips & Tricks?

Lots of info to study, as always thank you for those who helped.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorebird View Post
We are going to store our RV 30 miles inland from the Pacific ocean. We anticipate humidity issues. We've been checking out dehumidifier units intended for stick-built homes.

It was suggested to us that we circumvent the collection tank and leave the unit in a sink or shower to dump into gray water. If you have used a dehumidifier, how often must we be there in person to check it?

Any advice, brand names and experience is appreciated.
The last two years I used a Air-Dryr 1000 in the living room/kitchen area and a Eva-Dry unit in the bedroom area (both purchased at Amazon) then for a little added security a damp rid bag in the closet. We had a black mold issue a few years ago and don't want to deal with that again.
offduty11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:27 PM   #9
Doll House Two

De Humidification

I reside in Florida, high humditity levels as I call it. I use EVA DRY, small portable and rechargeable units ( if you have access to power) The company is based in Florida and is currently having a sale. Damp rid is a good product, but I prefer the Eva Dry. I originally purchased one unit from Home Depot for my laundry room, worked so well, bought one for my travel trailer. Various sizes available, depending on square foot coverage required. Would suggest going to the website:eva-dry.com
Doll House Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #10

I use a Haier 32 pint dehumidifier in part of my home basement. It's a real compressor dehumidifier, and gets the humidity down to 40%, which an Eva Dry or Damp Rid will never do. It's in its second summer of daily use with no problems. It can drain into its tank or via a hose, so you could set it to drain into a sink or shower pan. Available off the shelf at Walmart.
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:42 PM   #11

I'm considering storing my 2016 Orion (24 ft class c) in the Port St. Lucie area from Nov-March...will humidity be a problem that time of year?

Catev
2016 Orion
Old 08-09-2015, 08:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by catev View Post
I'm considering storing my 2016 Orion (24 ft class c) in the Port St. Lucie area from Nov-March...will humidity be a problem that time of year?

Catev
2016 Orion
Yes
Old 08-09-2015, 09:16 AM   #13

Lowes has a small unit, Hisense brand, that holds 17 +\- pints. Compressor type. Permanent resident in our TT. Works very well.
Travel safe

FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote