Old 09-26-2014, 08:50 PM   #11
Found an article on the Geo Method for treating holding tanks. Sounds like it might solve your problem and be a good pm for the black & gray tanks

derek6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:11 PM   #12
If the grey tank is full when dumping and the vent is closed off by the water you may be sucking the water out of the p traps until the roof vent is cleared. May not be your problem but may be worth knowing.

jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:06 PM   #13
Im kinda wondering why your Grey tank stinks at all, do you have a garbage disposal inside or something?

We've dumped the grey on the lawn using a 5/8 hose adapter before.. It's not had any smell.. or if any perhaps a bit of soap.. nothing foul.

aren't using anything in the grey to control odors either..

How many have stinky grey tanks?
RollingBlunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:58 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
A common source of bad odor (especially the dreaded "rotten egg" smell) can come from the water heater.

If you ever store the camper for more than a week or two, be sure to drain the water heater to avoid that smell.

To deodorize the holding tanks, we really like "Simple Green" because it's pretty cheap and we like the powerful pine smell. (Anything with the name "RV" next to it seems to cost 5-10 times more than regular stuff, it seems!!)
Rick & Karen
(Retired USAF, MSgt)
Monument, Colorado
5-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:51 PM   #15
I fill my tanks with water and let them soak for as long as I can. Hopefully this loosen things up. I'll do this a couple of times a week seems to keep things clean Jim
jrlebaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:27 PM   #16
Make sure the grey water valves are closed when dumping black. If open the black water can enter the grey water tank.

Most know this. But u would be surprised. A camper here was all valves pulled and left that way. A lot of campers will tell u that they only close grey valves when they move. To each their own I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #17
Tank odor

jrlebaron, Here is the link for the Geo Method I mentioned in an earlier post, I have now done the tanks twice this way and don't have any odor issues. In the article it also discussed the proper order for dumping tanks. Will be winterizing the unit next week after one last weekend at Algonquin Prov Park.
derek6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #18
I know this sounds silly but if it is a Sour Smell, Are you emptying the Hotwater heater between Trip's... The Left over water in a water heater can mold and smell if not fully emptied "Plug the Plug..
MacDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #19
A few possible ideas...

Sanitize your grey tank before you head out next time, we use a bleach solution a few times a year to sanitize all of our tanks. We fill the fresh water tank and all the lines with the beach solution a few days before we head out.

About a day before we head out we use that water to fill the grey and black tanks and travel with them full for the sloshing to our destination and then dump when we get there. We flush the water heater all the lines as well when we get there.

We also always make sure there is water in all the traps before we leave.

When we get home we drain everything and then blowout everything with a compressor.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #20
We also leave the plug in the drain in the shower and in the sink.

laurarice26 is offline   Reply With Quote