Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2015, 02:38 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 129
I usually left mine on when backing on flat ground. As far as noise, i cired most of mine when i WD40 all the chains and used marine lithium grease on the trunion bars.
__________________

__________________
Rick_Geneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:43 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dover, DE
Posts: 23
If you have a sway control device that hooks to the trailer tongue and your hitch head, those can suddenly make noise, especially if they get rusty.
__________________

__________________
frisbyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:46 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Pixelbum1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbyh View Post
If you have a sway control device that hooks to the trailer tongue and your hitch head, those can suddenly make noise, especially if they get rusty.
Yep, yup. I agree with you and also B&B prior re the rust. I was always
advised to not grease the contact points on the WDH as you WANT a little friction and resistance to help it "do it's thing". THAT being said tho...it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to lightly grease those points (same grease you use on the hitch ball) just to see if the problem rights itself which I think it will.It rained for two days...TT was on a tilt during that time...which unwittingly exposed one side of the WDH more to the weather and guess what...then you got the rust. However, it should go away by itself the more you drive it, sooner or later... If not then take it to the dealer and perhaps start with the bearings in the wheels? Break a leg!

PS: I never removed my WDH, or any of that when backing into a site with my former 25' TT with dual axles. I think it actually made the backing process much MORE predictable and accurate, spotted or not, so nah!
__________________
Si Hoc Legere Scis, Nimium Eruditionis Habes!
Pixelbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:58 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
RSchleder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,277
I'm wondering if any of these replies have any relevance to the poster? How about a little feedback to let us know if these replies are of any help to you? Do any of the circumstances we described "mirror" the situation you experienced?
__________________
Days camping (2016)----181 days
Days camping (2017) --- 82 days
2016 Wildcat MAXX 28RKX (33' TT), 2007 13' Scamp
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:47 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 12
Sounds to me like the "sway bar" they do that when they are wet.
__________________
harpplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:06 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Where the stars at night are big and bright
Posts: 436
We recently had that happen to us. I lube the spring bars and ball, do they run smooth. They creak a little and the chains pop a bit making turns. Last week, the back of the Tahoe started moaning like two newlyweds on their honeymoon! It freaked out the cats (one of whom is the quintessential hairy chicken )! I traced the noise to the anti-sway control bar. I cleaned the bar and it helped. I think I need to adjust the bolt on the other side to square up the brake that dampens the sway. Anyone have any other ideas?
__________________
2015 Palomino SolAire 20RBS
2017 1500 Silverado Z71 with 6.2L, 8-speed & tow package
Former: 2104 Tahoe Z71 w/Heavy Duty Tow Pkg (Sold)
2015: 18 days; 2016: 21 days; 2017: 16 days (so far)
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:11 PM   #17
Carknocker Family
 
Ida Ratherbe Camping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 484
My first thought was that they forgot to unhook breakaway switch when setting up, pulled cable out then drug it home with brakes set. But reading replies, I can agree on WDH also.
__________________
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:14 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmot Twp, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 8,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelbum1 View Post
Yep, yup. I agree with you and also B&B prior re the rust. I was always
advised to not grease the contact points on the WDH as you WANT a little friction and resistance to help it "do it's thing". THAT being said tho...it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to lightly grease those points (same grease you use on the hitch ball) just to see if the problem rights itself which I think it will.It rained for two days...TT was on a tilt during that time...which unwittingly exposed one side of the WDH more to the weather and guess what...then you got the rust. However, it should go away by itself the more you drive it, sooner or later... If not then take it to the dealer and perhaps start with the bearings in the wheels? Break a leg!

PS: I never removed my WDH, or any of that when backing into a site with my former 25' TT with dual axles. I think it actually made the backing process much MORE predictable and accurate, spotted or not, so nah!
X2
__________________
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:51 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
slipf18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzymovin View Post
Your weight distribution hitch bars and sway controls should be released prior to spotting or backing a trailer. Makes it much easier on you and your rig. Especially when stretched tight enough to make it ride smooth. Also depends on whether it's raining or not...
If you have a Blue Ox WDH with sway control bars there's no need to unhitch before backing.
__________________
2017Winnebago 2500RL, Hobie Odyssey
Aspen 5.7L HEMI V8,Tekonsha P3
Blue Ox 1500 WDH Airlift 1000# bags
Barker 3500 Tongue Jack
DW & a feisty Border Terrier named Painter
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:53 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Kenny kustom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipf18 View Post
If you have a Blue Ox WDH with sway control bars there's no need to unhitch before backing.

Yup. Never unhooked.


2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
__________________

__________________
2017 Dynamax Isata 4
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 PM.