Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2015, 10:23 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I believe it is the friction sway control that needs to be disconnected before backing. Most wdh w/ integrated sway control are ok to back up with. We always backed with our reese dual cam, most back with equalizer etc.

I also agree the noise is like the wdh creaking.g and popping that scares the living daylights out of most new owners.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
That's not universally true. With the Equal-i-izer system, the bars don't have to be removed for backing up. The only time I can think of that you'd be advised to remove the bars is when you're backing up an incline to park your trailer. If the trailer is on the incline and your tow vehicle is on the flat, it may be impossible to get the bars off in that situation. Otherwise, there's no need to remove the bars, unless the noise is really bothering you.

The above only relates to the Equal-i-izer WDH. I have no experience with the chain type WDH.
I also find that if the camper and trailer are not straight it can be a pain to remove the stabilization bars. I recently had that happen to me, truck and camper were level but the truck was at an angle as the site was little small to have both the truck and camper straight. Was a pain to remove the bar on the "loaded" side. In the future I am going to remove the bars while the DW is checking in at the office. No real need to have them when moving around in the campground since speed is slow.
paulmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 02:18 PM   #23

I too heard noise from wdh - cured it when I found a put grease here sticker on the hitch bar - that cured it
pfeather1 is offline   Reply With Quote