Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2017, 09:01 AM   #1

HELP WANTED! Pulling Out Of A Tight Space

We've had our Rockwood Mini 2104S for about a month and a half. We just moved it to a closer lot for storage and the spaces are very tight and there isn't much room to move forward.

It was difficult backing in and the TV really jack knifed, but we were able to unhitch. We're concerned about hitching up again and not getting in a position where we can't pull the trailer out safely.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.
tmlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:05 AM   #2

They sell a motorized unit for moving trailers around. Might be good for getting in and out of tight places. Don't know how much, but could save a lot of head aches!
Old 08-14-2017, 09:11 AM   #3

Other than the above advise, make sure you someone spot you using cell phones to talk to each other. Install a rear observation camera system on the trailer so you can see behind the unit.

And..... Take your time!
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:18 AM   #4
"On the road again"

HELP WANTED! Pulling Out Of A Tight Space

Or move to a larger storage facility. Unfortunately many of them crowd more and more RVs in for the extra dollars. Luckily I live on 5 acres and have plenty of space.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:35 AM   #5

I installed a 2 inch hitch receiver on the front of my F150. We use this for moving airplanes around. A lot better control than the hitch in the back, and I can see exactly whats going on.

I never used it to move a trailer, but I bet it would work great.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:44 PM   #6

I have a 2" receiver on the front of our F250 and believe me it workes wonders in tight spaces.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:03 PM   #7

we rented 2 spots side by side, that way we have room to manuever because we have a 40 ft camper and a 3500 crew cab with a long bed and it's tight geting in and out. this way we don't have to worry about someone parking next to us and making it hard to get out.
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:05 PM   #8

My 5er is 43' long. Typical narrow storage space. Biggest headache is only 28' between the 5er cap and the building in front. A PIA but I do it at least 10 times annually.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #9

Thanks Everyone

So we just ordered a Trailer Valet XL... https://www.trailervalet.com/xl/ Mixed reviews all over the place, but should give us some piece of mind.

Thanks for all the advice and help.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:35 PM   #10

Don't panic while you may have been at a bad angle at the end of parking it I have found that rehitching straight makes it easier to pull out. As others have said use spotters and go slow.
K4DCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:19 PM   #11

Looks like a cool item but maybe you can rent it to others storing with you to recuperate some of that cost... I would think 2 spaces or larger storage lot would be cheaper. Will be curious to hear how it goes

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
Looks like a cool item but maybe you can rent it to others storing with you to recuperate some of that cost... I would think 2 spaces or larger storage lot would be cheaper. Will be curious to hear how it goes

We are in the San Francisco Bay Area (Silicon Valley) and the cost to store RVs is unbelievable unless we store over an hour away. We will recoup the cost of the Trailer Valet in a couple months compared to double renting a spot or moving to a larger RV storage facility. (Not to mention they are all sold out and there are waiting lists). It's just crazy.

Fingers crossed the Trailer Valet works :-)
Old 08-14-2017, 04:48 PM   #13

If you are on a firm paved surface and the camper has a dolly wheel at the bottom of the jack, you may be able to use the front end of your tow vehicle (to pull only) by attaching a tow strap/cargo strap between the trailer tongue and the tow hook (if it has one) or front frame crossmember on your tow vehicle. This gives you some of the advantage of a front end ball mount receiver setup with little cost.

It is also possible to use this method to re-align the trailer side-to-side by pulling at an angle.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlogo View Post
So we just ordered a Trailer Valet XL... https://www.trailervalet.com/xl/ Mixed reviews all over the place, but should give us some piece of mind.

We use a trailer valet XL to move our 2702WS around. Your trailer is lighter and should be even easier to move. Here is what I have learned. You will need an expanded capacity battery and a 20v cordless drill. Be careful with the brake, it will sometimes engage because you let the handle "droop" down. On a turn, keep the momentum going. Be sure the wheels are pumped up to maximum. Use low gear unless you are traveling distance. We use it on trips to pull our trailer in forward sometimes so we can face the opposite direction. It works, but it does take a little strength to hold the turns. My buddy uses it like you will to store his trailer in a tight spot. His trailer is 7500lbs.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:58 PM   #15

Quote:

I checked out this item on their website and I don't get it.
How does this thing balance/maintain level or straight up and down on just those two wheels?

Upon further look at website, I earlier missed the third video with the locking collar to lock the unit upright.

√√√√→→→→↕↕↕↕

2008 Rockwood Sig Ultra Lite 8315SS
Livin the Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin the Life View Post
I checked out this item on their website and I don't get it.
How does this thing balance/maintain level or straight up and down on just those two wheels?

The locking collar has to be tight and then it balances the weight.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdomokos View Post
We use a trailer valet XL to move our 2702WS around. Your trailer is lighter and should be even easier to move. Here is what I have learned. You will need an expanded capacity battery and a 20v cordless drill. Be careful with the brake, it will sometimes engage because you let the handle "droop" down. On a turn, keep the momentum going. Be sure the wheels are pumped up to maximum. Use low gear unless you are traveling distance. We use it on trips to pull our trailer in forward sometimes so we can face the opposite direction. It works, but it does take a little strength to hold the turns. My buddy uses it like you will to store his trailer in a tight spot. His trailer is 7500lbs.
Our trailer being under 4500lbs sounds like this will work. Thank you for the hints and advice. Can't wait for it to arrive!
Old 08-14-2017, 07:09 PM   #18

Here's me for the first time learning about the brake handle. Oops!

https://youtu.be/Ow_UVCvokZw
Old 08-14-2017, 07:14 PM   #19

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdomokos View Post
Here's me for the first time learning about the brake handle. Oops!

https://youtu.be/Ow_UVCvokZw

Funny thing...I saw your video this morning and couldn't figure out what the problem was! ...Glad I know now. Thanks again!
Old 08-14-2017, 07:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Funny thing...I saw your video this morning and couldn't figure out what the problem was! ...Glad I know now. Thanks again!
Here's the warning from the website now:

Can you use an electric drill to operate it instead of the crank?
Yes, you can use a drill to move the Trailer Valet by attaching our unique attachment to your drill. However, use this method only when moving your trailer on level surfaces. You must also have a firm grip on your drill make sure the brake is disengaged when attached to the Trailer Valet to avoid injury. We recommend using an electric drill that has a torque output of at least 200 lb-in.

You saw the kick back from the drill when I accidentally let the brake engage. That's probably the one thing to be aware of. The brake does stop the trailer from moving, so my wife asking that question on the video, was happy with how the brake worked. (except when I caught it by accident).