Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2017, 07:32 PM   #1

HELP with exterior streaks

So our Sunseeker 2400W is a couple months old now and streaking is showing up around on the exterior where factory sealant or solvent was on the white panels. Never saw them during the PDI, but then they were washing it at that time. Is there a simple method to remove these, as a simple wash does nothing. Thanks in advance.
Mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:08 PM   #2

just washed ours

The mister clean majic eraser works great, it is easy on the paint. We also use harley S100. On the leading edge where we pick up a meals worth of bug protien. Wet first with just water, then S100 spray, wait 5 minutes and most of the bugs slide off... then a standard wash with generic car suds, followed by a quick light buff with protect all (3m also makes a great protectorent but we use protectall on all vechs and that would break the bank). If the eraser does not do the job I would use Novus number 2 "fine scratch remover" it is gentle and will not to get into gel coat. I buy it a quart at a time as it seems to be the go to for detailing plastic bumpers. Starbite cleaner (boat) is more aggressive but would work as a last action.
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:15 PM   #3

Dollar general sells stuff called Totally Awesome. 3 bucks a bottle if i recall. I mix half a bottle in the wash bucket w/ car wash soap and wash with a telescoping brush. Takes the black streaks right off.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:02 PM   #4

Try some Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner. Pretty much all I use now. Removes the black streaks. Removes dead bugs.
Just wet down the area you want to clean, spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes, and brush it off. Rinse. Your done.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M109Rrider View Post
Dollar general sells stuff called Totally Awesome. 3 bucks a bottle if i recall. I mix half a bottle in the wash bucket w/ car wash soap and wash with a telescoping brush. Takes the black streaks right off.
I'll second what M109Rrider said about the totally awesome spray, that stuff is pure magic in a bottle, cleans the black streaks from the rubber roof, mold and mildew on the awning, and pretty much anything else you need to clean.

-TEH721
TEH721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:29 PM   #6

Awesome,1.00$ at Dollar Store! Spray on wipe off bugs and black streaks! This method is used After the unit is prepped/waxed first! I also don't let the Bugs and Black Streaks age also! Youroo!!
Old 03-15-2017, 09:08 PM   #7
WFD

I thought the Awesome removed wax wherever it is applied?
Old 03-15-2017, 09:40 PM   #8

I hope it removes "Bug Wax" that can be from Fla.Love Bugs to Grass Hopper chewing backer and May Flies! Youroo!!
Old 03-16-2017, 04:38 PM   #9

Pretty much anything that removes black streaks will take the wax with it. I gave up on waxing a few years ago anyways. Too much work, not enough return. Wash it before each use, still looks great .
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:17 PM   #10

Awesome did a good job on the streaks but the black bumper didn't like it. It took the sheen off. A little spray paint should fix it though.
laurarice26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:59 AM   #11

Simple Green

Foolishly, I invested in a product called "Black Streak Remover" made specifically for RV's. Unfortunately, I had to use that and a rag and scrub (HARD) every inch of my 28' Catalina to get all of the streaks off. Took a few hours, but the thing looks better than the day I brought it home. As soon as I finished, my neighbor was kind enough to tell me that he just uses Simple Green and a telescoping brush to get all the streaks off without scrubbing. Anybody have any luck with this?
A2pfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:23 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

my neighbor who used to own a car detailing business, taught me to do this:
Go to your local auto store and invest in a good electric buffer/waxer and compounding agent. Wash the trailer. Apply compound using the electric buffer. When you have buffed the streaks out and wiped off all compound using a microfiber cloth then wax the trailer. We use meguiars spray on ultimate wax. Super easy wax job. We got several years old baked on black streaks off our old tt using his method. We haven't had issues keeping them off using this method 1-2 times a year.

A hint my neighbor taught me is do not use any kind of dryer sheet or fabric softener on the microfiber rag as it will prevent it from working as well in the future.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:20 AM   #13

Another vote for Awesome. Don't let the $1 price tag fool ya...it works....well awesome!
gloryracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:10 AM   #14

I tried all the different "Black Streak Removers" and was never quite satisfied. I discovered that "Dawn" detergent and bucket of water removed the streaks just as fast and easier than the "Removers." I wash the streak areas with the Dawn and then proceed to wash the rest of the camper with Blue Coral wash and wax.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:16 AM   #15

I went to get some Totally Awesome at the Dollar Tree here in Ontario and it's been pulled off the shelves up here . Not sure if it's something with the labeling or ingredients? They said they weren't sure if it was coming back! So I drove across the border and stocked up! Used it on the weekend and the Clipper looks like new, no more streaks!
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffywhitedogs View Post
I went to get some Totally Awesome at the Dollar Tree here in Ontario and it's been pulled off the shelves up here . Not sure if it's something with the labeling or ingredients? They said they weren't sure if it was coming back! So I drove across the border and stocked up! Used it on the weekend and the Clipper looks like new, no more streaks!
Contraband!
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:07 AM   #17

We waxed our trailer this year with Meguiar's 50 RV/Marine Cleaner Wax.

It took all the black streaks off. Some reappeared with the rain so I cleaned those off too. Should have washed the roof first. :P

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:21 AM   #18

If you use Black Streak Remover, be sure to use it when the RV is dry. Spray the remover on, scrub it, then rinse it off. I usually do about a quarter of the trailer, before rinsing. you'll need a short break to let whatever splashed on the next section to dry, before you tackle that one. If you try to use the remover on a wet surface, you'll need to do a LOT more scrubbing!

Once you're done, use the wash/wax to wash the trailer. I wouldn't try waxing it after that wash, or your arm may fall off! Wax it later after another wash.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
my neighbor who used to own a car detailing business, taught me to do this:
Go to your local auto store and invest in a good electric buffer/waxer and compounding agent. Wash the trailer. Apply compound using the electric buffer. When you have buffed the streaks out and wiped off all compound using a microfiber cloth then wax the trailer. We use meguiars spray on ultimate wax. Super easy wax job. We got several years old baked on black streaks off our old tt using his method. We haven't had issues keeping them off using this method 1-2 times a year.

A hint my neighbor taught me is do not use any kind of dryer sheet or fabric softener on the microfiber rag as it will prevent it from working as well in the future.
X2...I washed and waxed(OK..half of it) last week and when I did I used Awesome cleaner in bucket(couple ounces in couple gallons) and I wasn't impressed. I think I prefer Simple Green, but that's another story. I decided it was clean enough to wax and started at that. Meguires liquid cleaner wax on cotton rag. Microfiber towel and the wax fell off. I was so impressed with the removal...the black streaks came off VERY easy with the wax. FWIW
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exterior