Old 04-14-2016, 02:10 AM   #1

Help with moving my Equalizer hitch around

I've searched the forum and also googled and youtubed excessively, but unfortunately I haven't found anything on the subject of some sort of dolly or some other rolling platform to help move the anvil that is my Equalizer 4 way around that would hopefully also double as a way to help lift it into position and lower it to the ground when on the road. Maybe I'm just using the wrong search terms. Using the word "dolly" just gets me a lot of articles on tow dollys and "lift" gets me a great deal of info on lifting my truck and engine lifts/hoists that are way too heavy to carry around.

Is there such a thing? If not, I'm relatively handy so I'm open to any suggestions on something I could rig up, but I can already tell that my back isn't going to like it if I have to manhandle it into and out of the hitch receiver every time I make camp. Something sort of like an engine lift/hoist but smaller?

Old 04-14-2016, 02:26 AM   #2

They make "Stake pocket Hoists" that swivel around and have a Manual or 12V drum! My buddy has one for his "Miniature Steam Engine" that weights way more than any Hitch! Why not leave the "Hitch Head" on the TV? The Tailgate in the Down position sticks out Farther than any Hitch,if your concerned about that! Youroo!!

Old 04-14-2016, 02:34 AM   #3
Just a member

Outside the box here but wondering if after the spring bars are removed you could leave the ball mount locked in the TT's coupler and just drive away from it. Reconnecting might take some finesse but could be doable and will save yer back.
)
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
Outside the box here but wondering if after the spring bars are removed you could leave the ball mount locked in the TT's coupler and just drive away from it. Reconnecting might take some finesse but could be doable and will save yer back.
Thanks! That is doable, I'll have to try that and see how hard it is to get hooked back up.

I'm also thinking about here at home, though. Right now it's on a furniture dolly so I could roll it into the basement, since we've had some break-ins/stuff disappearing from peoples barns/sheds in the area and I'd really prefer if someone didn't make off with my hitch!
Old 04-14-2016, 08:30 AM   #5
Head Rambler

You could buy a mower lift and make a couple of adaptors to fit in the bar sockets and use that to lift the head. You could even make an adaptor to fit the ball and lift it with that.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:44 AM   #6

I have a roller seat creeper that I use. I looked on google but, don't see it any more, everything now is padded and vinyl covered. You could try putting a set of wheels on an old milk crate, which would be about what this looks like. The equalizer is pretty well balanced with the bars in it to get it in or out of the receiver. It's the getting it from the garage to the truck that's the grunt for me
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #7

Just bought a "Hitch Grip" for 2-5/16 ball on Amazon works pretty good, still have to heft into position but a lot easier.
Most reviews were very positive, especially mentioning back issues.
Worth a look item Amazon #HG 712. $34.99

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forum
Poper
Old 04-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poper View Post
Just bought a "Hitch Grip" for 2-5/16 ball on Amazon works pretty good, still have to heft into position but a lot easier.
Most reviews were very positive, especially mentioning back issues.
Worth a look item Amazon #HG 712. $34.99
I also use the hitch grip. Allows for easier maneuvering without getting your hands dirty. You still have to physically lift the hitch though.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:24 PM   #9

I've got the hitch grip also. It makes life a whole lot easier. Now I just need a place to store the hitch when not in use.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:24 PM   #10

Attached a picture for reference...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1460651025412.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	104872  

ebcobra93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equalizer, hitch