Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2016, 01:07 PM   #1

Help with Satellite TV for Canadians

Hello All

We are new to RVing. We just bought a new 32 foot Forester. Love every minute we spend in it! Trying to look into satelitte TV dishes and services. I am trying to use it in both Canada and the States. Is there anyway to achieve this? It seems the satellite providers only work in their own country.

Also any advice on which is better? Permanent or carry out versions?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
DNOLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:48 PM   #2
WFD

Shaw Direct...works both sides of the border...even works in Mexico. Shaw however will not give you coordinates for setting your dish outside Canada but those are easily accessible from the net. We started using Shaw Direct last year and has worked well for us as we are often in MN and ND in the US. Bell will work a short distance into US we were told by numerous people but not very deep.
Shaw also lets you put the account on a seasonal break at no cost for up to 6 mths per year. We are quite happy with ours.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:59 PM   #3
WFD

To add to the latter part of your question...we have our dish set up on a tripod. Our dealer told us thats the only one that will work in the US using your Canadian service. Last year talked to a neighbor RV`er who had his dish roof mounted and he said often times once he is in a site, there are too many trees in the way for him to catch a signal...at least with a tripod mount you can usually set up in a clearing...just make sure you have plenty of cable.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:29 PM   #4

Thanks so much for the information. I can now start my search for which satellite dishes that work with the Shaw Network that are portable.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:35 PM   #5

We are new to camping, bought a 2006 forest river wildwood travel trailer, we have a permanent lake lot. We use directv, how do you connect cable to camper, we have it currently running through a window, not good...
Petty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:15 PM   #6
WFD

Are you sure there is no coax cable connection anywhere on the outside of the trailer? Some have a cover plate like on an outdoor plug, some just simply have a rubber plug. or it could be that your model has no connection at all but I would be surprised. It can be inside a compartment door. Have a good look.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:29 PM   #7

if using shaw direct in the states, make sure you get the bigger dish. I am just back from my vacation, Vegas and LA. worked well. I didn't need to change elevation or skew. I did have to call at one point cause I wasn't getting a strong signal, guy over the phone told me what channel to switch to(channel 299 its in the middle of all there satellites apparently) and try turning my dish again to achieve all channels. several minutes later I was all good again.
Ian Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:53 AM   #8

Thanks Ian,

We have a house in Florida so we are hoping we can also use the dish there when not in the RV. Nice to hear it works in the States.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:48 PM   #9

I have a Shaw dish in Lakeland Florida. I set it up myself really easy to do. I bought a digital satellite finder for 20.00 from Amazon and use a sat angle finder on my laptop. It uses Google map shows my house even. I just click the mouse where the dish is pick the satellite for Shaw and it gives me the angles I need. The meter fine tunes it in. You can't get the HD channels in Florida anymore but the SD are perfect. I also bought an android box and with good wifi get every channel and movie I would ever need.
iproff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite