Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2015, 10:47 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Homemade Emergency Road Kit

After doing some research for good emergency road kits, we've decided to just make our own.

This is what mine consists of:

-2-ton floor jack plus a 2-ton bottle-type lift (I will replace them with 3-tons when I can)
-Two high-visibility safety vests
-Safety flares and triangle warning signs (I prefer flares that you don't have to ignite.)
-2 rain ponchos
-Spare TPMS batteries
-Numerous tools (leatherman, needle nose pliers, etc.)
-Wrenches for tires and my torque wrench
-Digital air pressure gauge
-Viair 12-volt compressor and extension wiring (I had to make my own extension cable.)
-Spare Truck and RV fuses and a fuse puller/tester
-Heavy-duty tuck tow strap
-First aid kit (the best ones are sold by the local Red Cross...I used to be a CPR/First Aid instructor for them.)
-Leather glove..and latex gloves
-Various small items (rope, string, bungee cords, duct tape, zip ties, etc.)

I try try to think of situations where I'm stuck in the boonies with a flat...rainy, dark, sandy, etc...and prep for that.

See anything I missed or do you carry other things?
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:50 AM   #2

Flashlight with spare batteries
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
After doing some research for good emergency road kits, we've decided to just make our own.

This is what mine consists of:

-2-ton floor jack plus a 2-ton bottle-type lift (I will replace them with 3-tons when I can)
-Two high-visibility safety vests
-Safety flares and triangle warning signs (I prefer flares that you don't have to ignite.)
-2 rain ponchos
-Spare TPMS batteries
-Numerous tools (leatherman, needle nose pliers, etc.)
-Wrenches for tires and my torque wrench
-Digital air pressure gauge
-Viair 12-volt compressor and extension wiring (I had to make my own extension cable.)
-Spare Truck and RV fuses and a fuse puller/tester
-Heavy-duty tuck tow strap
-First aid kit (the best ones are sold by the local Red Cross...I used to be a CPR/First Aid instructor for them.)
-Leather glove..and latex gloves
-Various small items (rope, string, bungee cords, duct tape, zip ties, etc.)

I try try to think of situations where I'm stuck in the boonies with a flat...rainy, dark, sandy, etc...and prep for that.

See anything I missed or do you carry other things?
Like the idea of a spare truck

Need to add wd40, duck-tape and a hammer

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:03 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

lol..Yes I would love a spare Tundra! :-)

Thanks for the flashlight add....I have them all over the place anyway and carry on my belt one of them and a leatherman whenever we take the RV out....along with something else inside the waistband the mods don't like us talking about!
Old 02-13-2015, 11:07 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Oh shoot I did forget something...I have a couple of bright lights that attach to your head with straps and those are also in the tool bag....very useful because they leave your hands free.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:22 AM   #6

Couple things I'd suggest:

Your safety vests - there are very specific requirements now for reflective area so make sure they are current models because some of the old small size ones had too little area to identify on a thin framed person in low light!

Fluorescent glow sticks - a must. Dead flashlight batteries happen and figures it would happen the time your TV's alternator craps out and you've drained it and the trailer battery unknowingly. You should have at least two flashlights too regardless - one for you and one for your spotter.

Triangles are great, but get a pack of flares. Unless you know how to properly set them out (spacing versus size) their warning isn't as attention getting as burning flares. Further, triangles, especially lower grade ones, are practically worthless in pouring rain!

How about the jumper cables? Spare drive belt is cheap insurance. Air filter (ever go down a long dusty road in the middle of nowhere in the summertime with your camper in tow)? How about a tire plug kit because multiple flats happen (even if you have roadside assistance, they can't always get to you for better than half a day or the next)?

Add to your assorted wrenches a torque range in a range for both your lugnuts and the required torque on your hitch ball and bracketry/connectors of your hitch.

geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:24 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
.along with something else inside the waistband the mods don't like us talking about!
DD lives in Colorado, she moved there last summer

I needed a 8 ton bottle jack for my heavy Lacrosse. Always have a weather radio in the camper. It will go off or turn on if somethings brewing.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:47 AM   #8

Multimeter? I have one in,all vehicles. I also have a tire plug kit in my truck and SUV.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:45 PM   #9

I always carry zip ties and hose clamps in addition to most of the above.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:45 PM   #10

I make sure I carry a 4D mag lite and a headlamp. The headlamp is very helpful when you need both hands free. The 4D mag lite shines nice and bright and makes a nice tire thumper when needed. Plus its legal in all 50 states
Old 02-13-2015, 01:45 PM   #11

One of those "flat tire ramps" - trade name: Trailer-Aid. Few years ago, had 2 blowouts in the same trip. Got real good at changing flats on the highway in a hurry. I felt I was ready to join the RV NASCAR pit crew.
NCBBA11043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:07 PM   #12

As I have a heart condition , I kinda upgraded my jack and "lug wrench".....I use the small (knee high) bottles of nitrogen with coiled plastic hose w/quick coupler ,air/hydraulic jack , 1/2" impact and a box of deep set impact sockets........all but the nitrogen can be bought at Harbor Freight relatively cheap........Saved my bacon and "ticker a couple of times........once was in the middle of nowhere Wyoming , where like has been stated Roadside Assistance was ???????? hours away
47chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:58 PM   #13

All excellent suggestions------erring on the side of safety. Hope about a couple of battery lanterns for boondocking or campground blackouts?
greymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:25 PM   #14

Safety first

Where are you guys camping? Do you not have Emergency Road Service and cell phone with a back up battery! Some of these items...absolutely...but I see a lot of you guys getting into horrid situations trying to jack up a 40 ft rv...or change tire, etc
Be safe...don't travel in adverse conditions, be well rested...and have allowed enough time to get to your destination safely.
psgrandpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:51 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, some more great suggestions!

I'm not a big fan of jumper cables so I have one of those Black and Decker rechargeable jumper things. I've actually used it a couple of times and was surprised at how effective they are.

My primary reason for doing this is for our cross-country trip we're planning for this summer....my wife is even wondering if we should buy an extra spare tire so I'll be checking on that.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:57 PM   #16

Make sure not to overload the thing with gear
Old 02-13-2015, 07:02 PM   #17

Mine is a 40' Sanibel ,tv Ram 3500 ! ! IF you have ever traveled I 25 in Wyoming you would understand about the desolation and time factor of getting roadside assistance.... , but yes we do have roadside assistance plus the expensive tire warranty program , my most "horrid situation" was from another RV , a big coach that didn't move over an inch , even though the lane was completely clear. No problems with the 18 wheelers , a few cars and pick-up just moved over a bit
47chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:19 PM   #18

Carry a spare set of bearings Could be packed in grease in stored in a baggie.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:27 PM   #19

I learned the hard way, many years ago, that my hydraulic jack would just disappear into the soil, or hot asphalt, when trying to lift my truck! I now always carry 2 2x8's 24" long to place under the jack. I have not had to use them in a very long time, got them anyway. That kit sounds great, I am going to inventory mine soon. Thanks
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:51 PM   #20

In addition to most of the above, I carry spare bulbs for the camper tail/break/marker lights plus extra fuses.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote