Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2017, 09:02 PM   #21

I had an old boat many years back. It had a little ford 140hp that ran like crap. Had a friend that knows his stuff go thru the carb and he replaced all the normal stuff. It still ran like crap. I tried seafoam, on the heavy side and it smoothed right out. Used that old boat many times the one summer before selling it. I have a good friend that had the same experience. And like was said above, even if it is just simple ingredients, I'd rather blow $5 on a can or two each year.
Thanks for sharing your results!
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:49 PM   #22

I agree. It just works

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:59 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Because a good portion of SeaFoam is oil. You do not want oil in your fuel as it will coat the O2 sensor and reduce it's life or cause it to fail.
I have a Saturn commuter car that burns a qt of oil every 1000 miles, has 190k on it, gets 38 mpg and still has the original O2 sensor and runs great... I don't think using a little seafoam in a vehicle is going to do any harm.
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:54 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by latner View Post
I have a Saturn commuter car that burns a qt of oil every 1000 miles, has 190k on it, gets 38 mpg and still has the original O2 sensor and runs great... I don't think using a little seafoam in a vehicle is going to do any harm.
And I have seen the opposite occur where cars that burn oil go through O2 sensors regularly. The fact is that the O2 sensor is now measuring improperly and your fuel mixture is also set improperly. Depending on the acceptable range of voltage from the sensor, it may or may not set a fault. Apparently in your case, they have the voltage span set so wide, you will never see a fault.

So the question is, why introduce oil into your fuel system on purpose so that it makes your O2 sensor degrade? If you want to add a fuel system cleaner, uses something that doesn't have oil in it and works way better than SeaFoam as well?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:19 AM   #25

Seafoam was originally manufactured for OMC(Outboard Marine Co.) for use in the marine industry. IMO(in my opinion) it is an excellent product and does what it was intended to do.

https://seafoamsales.com/about-us/
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
And I have seen the opposite occur where cars that burn oil go through O2 sensors regularly. The fact is that the O2 sensor is now measuring improperly and your fuel mixture is also set improperly. Depending on the acceptable range of voltage from the sensor, it may or may not set a fault. Apparently in your case, they have the voltage span set so wide, you will never see a fault.

So the question is, why introduce oil into your fuel system on purpose so that it makes your O2 sensor degrade? If you want to add a fuel system cleaner, uses something that doesn't have oil in it and works way better than SeaFoam as well?
To each his own, I guess. I use it in all my seasonal equipment from weed eaters, mowers, generators, snowmobiles, boat and even the Harley. All my stuff runs on 10% ethanol gas, (I've read the horror stories) the carbs are never drained and I have never once had to rebuild a carburetor or had a problem with how they run after sitting for the season. I don't know, maybe I'm just lucky.
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by latner View Post
To each his own, I guess. I use it in all my seasonal equipment from weed eaters, mowers, generators, snowmobiles, boat and even the Harley. All my stuff runs on 10% ethanol gas, (I've read the horror stories) the carbs are never drained and I have never once had to rebuild a carburetor or had a problem with how they run after sitting for the season. I don't know, maybe I'm just lucky.
Yep...I do the same thing with 10% ethanol. Don't use a single drop of "snake oil" or "mechanic in a can".

3 Cars/Trucks
2 Boats
2 Small dingy outboards
1 Harley
1 Generator
1 Power Washer
1 Lawn Mower
1 Shredder
1 Weed Whacker
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:49 PM   #28
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Honda 2000 and Sea Foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_Grandpa View Post
If it doesn't have tires on it, I treat all gas with Marine Stabil (Blue color). I use only Ethanol Free gas (like all gas was a few years ago) in my small engine equipment: lawnmowers, tillers, generators, chainsaws, weed eaters, blowers, snowmobiles, etc. I figure that I never know when the last time I am going to use it for a season is so I treat year round. It might be a little hard to find but in my area it is the same price as high octane pump gas (with ethanol).

Since doing this my carb issues have dropped to nearly zero. I had a surging 1000 Watt Yamaha generator two years ago that was a chunk of crud stuck in the carb. Shot some carb cleaner into the carb being careful to get all of the little holes on the air inlet side (bleeds, power valves, low speed air jet, etc.) and away it went, good as ever. The Honda generator does not have a fuel shutoff - the Yamaha lets you run the carb dry and if you do this start pulling the choke know as it starts to run rough to clear all of the gas from the carb.

I would love to see the Ethanol crap we have to use moved back to the gas these small engines were designed to use. E85 will kill most boats, ATVs, and small engine powered equipment. Enough politics.......

Seafoam fixed my generator issue. Before I could only run with choke on. The Seafoam cleaned out the crud and now it runs perfect. I’ll be sure to not leave the gas sit in the carb over winter. Check out the Hutchmountain eliminator switch add-on for Honda’s. This aftermarket switch will allow you to run your gen's carburetor dry prior to storage on a Honda generator. The Eu 2000 does not give you that ability.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:15 PM   #29
Site Team

On my 2000s there is a drain screw on the bottom of the float bowl that appears to do a good job.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:56 PM   #30

I just use 100% gas, and drain the carb bowl when its in storage. I've had my Honda 2000 for over 10 years. Same spark plug. Regular oil changes. Never had the head off to decarb yet.
Jammer3025 is offline   Reply With Quote