Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
MegaTracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 26
Hot Skin (electric shock)

I was installing some step stabilizers yesterday on my tracer and I kept getting a small shock from the steps. After a quick look on the interwebs I found the link below and discovered I had what is called "hot skin". I traced it to my extension cord (I had it plugged in at home) which had a short in the ground. Replaced the cord and all is well.

I did not find any info on this site relating to this and it can be a serious issue from what I read.

I wanted to let everyone know check your cords if you plug in at home. Also check your connection at the campsite.

Safe camping FR friends!


Here is a great informational site:
RV Electrical Safety: Part IV – Hot Skin | No~Shock~Zone
__________________

__________________
MegaTracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:44 PM   #2
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 15,006
Mike Sokol is actually a member here on FRF, and I agree he does have lot's of great information.

If you want to read some of the things he has posted or helped other members with, you can check out his other posts:

Mike is a very friendly guy

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...archid=2329346
__________________

__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:36 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
MegaTracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 26
Mike's article is great! I missed the posts on this forum for some reason. I need to work on my searching skills.
__________________
MegaTracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:28 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Roxboro, NC
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerMada View Post
I was installing some step stabilizers yesterday on my tracer and I kept getting a small shock from the steps. After a quick look on the interwebs I found the link below and discovered I had what is called "hot skin". I traced it to my extension cord (I had it plugged in at home) which had a short in the ground. Replaced the cord and all is well.

I did not find any info on this site relating to this and it can be a serious issue from what I read.

I wanted to let everyone know check your cords if you plug in at home. Also check your connection at the campsite.

Safe camping FR friends!


Here is a great informational site:
RV Electrical Safety: Part IV – Hot Skin | No~Shock~Zone
I had that issue at a state park. The park panel had a weak ground and think when another campers ac was running it was putting power on my skin because is was the least amount of resistance to ground. Told the camp about it and they did nothing, blamed it in my camper. I took it on to resolve the issue as I an an electrical crontractor. Drove a ground rod and connected the camper to it. Problem resolved with the jerry rig set up I made. Now I make sure I check the power pole before connecting my camper.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
__________________
2007 GMC 2500 Duramax Crew Cab LB
2008 5th Wheel Cardinal 36LE
R Whitlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 102
Having worked for the phone company before retiring, I've ran into many different types of "hot" situations. I once got a slight tingle from a Cal Trans control box at the bottom of a freeway on ramp when I was installing some service in it. I called Cal Trans and told them the service would be delayed until that issue was resolved.

I actually had a much larger shock from radio frequency interference when I was up on a wooden utility pole near a radio transmitter. I could actually feel the pole vibrate and when I touched to ground lead on the cable, it gave me a big zap along with a mini lightning bolt!
__________________
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:44 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
PhoneDude 8289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,084
I also retired from the phone company and ran into situations like that quite allot on mobile homes. We had a tester that we would touch to the metal siding or frame to test the structure. Before working on the structure had a grounding clamp and cable connected to the frame and a grounding rod. AT&T rules
__________________
Joe & Beverly
2014 Ram CTD, CC, SB
2014 8289WS lifted
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:36 PM   #7
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 15,006
In case others have missed the announcement, Mike is presenting a webinar this Saturday on this very subject. We encourage all members to check it out:

"No Shock Zone" webinar June 21st
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:16 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmot Twp, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 8,604
I am a broadcast engineer and can speak to RF akin effect. The AM sites, lots of towers and worse that TV or FM. Holding a metal rake in the yard next door will give you RF burns under the right conditions. I have had small ones on my hands from a leaking feed line at UHF 4OO mhz. Takes years to heal. The park where my seasonal site is had a bad ground at the distribution box, the kid with the weed whacker got caught on the ground rod and pull the wire off the Burndey connector. Someone's trailer was using ground for neutral and sparks were flying. There was no bonding in the service entrance either. The park owner called an electrician as many where getting shocks stepping into there trailers.

Sent from my Z30 using Forest River Forums mobile app
__________________
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:36 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 604
I have had talks with Mike through a professional sound forum and over the phone. He is a good person to listen to and really knows his stuff when it comes to electrical safety. I would highly recommend everybody to read his RV Electrical Safety page and listen to his webinar. I have a background in electrical engineering and have learned a thing or two about AC wiring and grounding issues from him through the pro sound forum.
__________________

__________________
2015 F150 Ecoboost
2014 Palomini 142 CK
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electric

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 AM.