Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2014, 08:20 PM   #1

Hot Skin (electric shock)

I was installing some step stabilizers yesterday on my tracer and I kept getting a small shock from the steps. After a quick look on the interwebs I found the link below and discovered I had what is called "hot skin". I traced it to my extension cord (I had it plugged in at home) which had a short in the ground. Replaced the cord and all is well.

I did not find any info on this site relating to this and it can be a serious issue from what I read.

I wanted to let everyone know check your cords if you plug in at home. Also check your connection at the campsite.

Safe camping FR friends!

Here is a great informational site:
RV Electrical Safety: Part IV – Hot Skin | No~Shock~Zone
MegaTracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
Site Team

Mike Sokol is actually a member here on FRF, and I agree he does have lot's of great information.

If you want to read some of the things he has posted or helped other members with, you can check out his other posts:

Mike is a very friendly guy

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...archid=2329346

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #3

Mike's article is great! I missed the posts on this forum for some reason. I need to work on my searching skills.
MegaTracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerMada View Post
I was installing some step stabilizers yesterday on my tracer and I kept getting a small shock from the steps. After a quick look on the interwebs I found the link below and discovered I had what is called "hot skin". I traced it to my extension cord (I had it plugged in at home) which had a short in the ground. Replaced the cord and all is well.

I did not find any info on this site relating to this and it can be a serious issue from what I read.

I wanted to let everyone know check your cords if you plug in at home. Also check your connection at the campsite.

Safe camping FR friends!

Here is a great informational site:
RV Electrical Safety: Part IV – Hot Skin | No~Shock~Zone
I had that issue at a state park. The park panel had a weak ground and think when another campers ac was running it was putting power on my skin because is was the least amount of resistance to ground. Told the camp about it and they did nothing, blamed it in my camper. I took it on to resolve the issue as I an an electrical crontractor. Drove a ground rod and connected the camper to it. Problem resolved with the jerry rig set up I made. Now I make sure I check the power pole before connecting my camper.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 05-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #5

Having worked for the phone company before retiring, I've ran into many different types of "hot" situations. I once got a slight tingle from a Cal Trans control box at the bottom of a freeway on ramp when I was installing some service in it. I called Cal Trans and told them the service would be delayed until that issue was resolved.

I actually had a much larger shock from radio frequency interference when I was up on a wooden utility pole near a radio transmitter. I could actually feel the pole vibrate and when I touched to ground lead on the cable, it gave me a big zap along with a mini lightning bolt!
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:44 PM   #6

I also retired from the phone company and ran into situations like that quite allot on mobile homes. We had a tester that we would touch to the metal siding or frame to test the structure. Before working on the structure had a grounding clamp and cable connected to the frame and a grounding rod. AT&T rules
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:36 PM   #7
Site Team

In case others have missed the announcement, Mike is presenting a webinar this Saturday on this very subject. We encourage all members to check it out:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post637201

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I am a broadcast engineer and can speak to RF akin effect. The AM sites, lots of towers and worse that TV or FM. Holding a metal rake in the yard next door will give you RF burns under the right conditions. I have had small ones on my hands from a leaking feed line at UHF 4OO mhz. Takes years to heal. The park where my seasonal site is had a bad ground at the distribution box, the kid with the weed whacker got caught on the ground rod and pull the wire off the Burndey connector. Someone's trailer was using ground for neutral and sparks were flying. There was no bonding in the service entrance either. The park owner called an electrician as many where getting shocks stepping into there trailers.

Sent from my Z30 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:36 PM   #9

I have had talks with Mike through a professional sound forum and over the phone. He is a good person to listen to and really knows his stuff when it comes to electrical safety. I would highly recommend everybody to read his RV Electrical Safety page and listen to his webinar. I have a background in electrical engineering and have learned a thing or two about AC wiring and grounding issues from him through the pro sound forum.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric