Old 11-18-2019, 10:32 AM   #1

How do you store an in-line water filter?

A couple weeks ago I winterized my camper. I removed my in-line water filter and put it into a baggie still wet. I then brought it in the house and started in room temperature. Looking at it now, it looks like it may have some mold on it. What is the proper way to store a wet water filter removed from a camper?

I suppose I could have let it dry out and not stored it in a baggie. Any good tips or tricks here?

DavidJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
A couple weeks ago I winterized my camper. I removed my in-line water filter and put it into a baggie still wet. I then brought it in the house and started in room temperature. Looking at it now, it looks like it may have some mold on it. What is the proper way to store a wet water filter removed from a camper?

I suppose I could have let it dry out and not stored it in a baggie. Any good tips or tricks here?

You mean the overpriced filter cartridge? Let it dry out a few days then chuck it in a baggie and freeze it. Personally I removed it for winterizing the first year, then tossed it in the trash and have not used one since.

Feel Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel Swift View Post
You mean the overpriced filter cartridge? Let it dry out a few days then chuck it in a baggie and freeze it. Personally I removed it for winterizing the first year, then tossed it in the trash and have not used one since.
Haha Yeah thatís the one. Ours cost around $40 but luckily Iíve got a friend that works in an RV dealership and gets me any accessories for half price. But honestly, I thought about just simply not using one. Are use the filter that screws into the hose or the city water outlet. For what thatís worth.
DavidJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:52 AM   #4

Like many have, got rid of the hard to get at, winterizing hassle, hard to remove and expensive FL1 filter system and put in a bypass. Now I use a whole house filter set up and have for many years, the filters are only a few bucks and I don't hesitate a second to throw them out and use a new one a couple times a season. buy a filter housing and a 3/4 npt x ght male and female fittings and you're in business. All the water goes through it whether I'm on a FHU or filling the tank. My 2 cents!
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:59 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Throw it out.

For $40 (if factory WaterPur) I'm not gonna chance 'storing' something wet/frozen and unused for months that my potable water runs through. I simply replace mine each year. Been doing this for many years. I have removed my on-board water filter on my past many R/Vs and use a home type filter that the elements cost only a few bucks. I use it outside so there is no bowl to fill with antifreeze, no water to spill and less hassle removing the element.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=53
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:59 AM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

I don't use the expensive Kw1. I keep the canister in place and run a blue torpedo on the outside hose. They are cheap, especially when you buy 2 at a time on sale. I use one for the whole season, shake out water between uses, cap it, and refrigerate it. I just threw it out since it is end of season and don't want to chance stuff growing in it after months of non-use. Don't freeze that one, it could crack. I don't go to campgrounds with sketchy water supplies, so the blue torpedo is fine. yes, I drink the water. heaven forbid.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:34 PM   #7

I threw the excessively priced filter out and winterized the RV. The following year I bought a twin pack from Wally World for half the price of the one original filter. Do not buy things like that from any RV source because their prices are absolutely obscene.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:57 PM   #8
D W

Throw it out and replace it at the start of the next season. Why "save" a dirty filter? You have no idea what's in it.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:16 PM   #9
Winn

Water Filter

I bought mine at Amazon. Same as the 40 but $16.00. Throw away each year.
winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:19 PM   #10
Tundra 2014

Filter

I winterize w/ in in and replace w/ a new one every spring.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:46 PM   #11

Chris40

Can you give a product number for the Walmart filters to go in the FR1 housing?

Thanks
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2000i Generator, 200 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:55 PM   #12

Camco 40043 TastePURE RV/Marine Water Filter

I always replace the inline water filter each spring. Amazon for $17. Better be safe than sorry.
BaltimoreMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:33 PM   #13
Tundra 2014

Filter

I get one from Amazon, about $30. I would like to take it out and reuse it as an outside filter. Mine is mounted in a hard to get location and fear a leak. I will need to paint the housing black to prevent algae growth from the clear housing. I will have to look @ Amazon as previous post said he got it for $17. PF1 ? A previous poster several months ago also said this, but never found for that price w/o $10 shipping. If you look @ the specs between the "blue" filter and the PF1, it filters smaller particles. If it is worth the price difference, I do not know. DW says she can taste the difference.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:39 PM   #14
Tundra 2014

Filter

The PF1 filters to 5 microns, the blue Camco to 20 microns. Today I do not see the PF1 on Amazon.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:47 PM   #15

Put it in a ziplock bag and stick it in th freezer
Open Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:07 PM   #16

I use the KW1 filter system. I have found that my filter still does a great job of filtering even now after almost 4 1/2 years of use. We use our trailer for about 4 months out of 12 per year just for showers and washing dishes. Drinking water is bottled water. I do have a new KW1 filter that I plan on using in 2020.
I prepare mine for storage by extracting water by using a Shop Vac, then the filter is dried and sterilized by placing it in a box with an unfiltered incandescent Ultra Violet light. The filter is then vacuum packed with a food saver for storage.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:40 PM   #17
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
I use the KW1 filter system. I have found that my filter still does a great job of filtering even now after almost 4 1/2 years of use.

Whaat?! THROW it away and replace it every year. How much filtering do you think is taking place after all that crap buildup?
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
Whaat?! THROW it away and replace it every year. How much filtering do you think is taking place after all that crap buildup?
As with all things, it is best to do the homework and pay attention to the limitations of the things that you use. With that being said, I have absolute confidence with my methodology in this matter and it is confirmed by water purity testing by U.F.A.S. Division of Health Services. They perform water tests on everything from private wells to municipal water systems.
My choice on starting with a new filter is based on conversations with the filter manufacturer who recommends changing the filter after 12 months of use. Intermittent use with proper care allows you to take advantage of the actual lifetime of the filter.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
If water is still flowing it's most likely still filtering.

A lot of people will remove the filter element. put it in a baggie, and store it in a refrigerator/freezer. The cold helps but the big thing is to keep it away from daylight which promotes algae growth.

It is a good idea to replace annually. As for over-priced? I don't know where all those "$40 filters" are coming from. $34 at Hannah RV.com and if you buy a 4-pack only $30 each.

As for how hard it is to replace element once a year, I can think of a lot of other regular tasks on my TT that are just as big a "PITA" and are done more often.

Can't see the benefit to go to an inline filter that only filters city water and not my FW tank. Since I chlorinate my FW tank every time I fill it I like having the factory filter online when using tank water.

For those wondering about chlorinating tank water, I just use the Clorox instructions for "emergency water purification" as many times I'm filling from sources I'm not totally confident they've been regularly tested (like campground well water).

Quote:
2 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per quart of water 8 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per gallon of water 1/2 teaspoon Regular Clorox Bleach per five gallons of water If water is cloudy, double the recommended dosages of Clorox Bleach.
When filling my empty tank I add 3.5 tsp of regular Clorox bleach first then turn on the hose.

Each to their own.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:00 PM   #20

we do not winterize here in central Fl but I will replace yearly ....

Frank & Cindy *** Rockwood 8288WS Ultra Lite 5th wheel***2019 Ram 3500 Cummins SRW 4x4 8' bed *** Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies *** TST 507 TPMS *** B&W Patriot 18K *** 3.73 axle *** Goodyear Endurance *** 44 days camped 2019 *** Predator 3500...Payload 4394
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water filter