Old 07-20-2016, 09:16 AM   #1
2011_ChaparralLite_270RKS

How should a request for commercial repair service in a state park be handled

While extending the stabilizers on the fifth wheel at Leasburg Dam State Park, New Mexico, I noticed a nail in the trailer tire. We tested and there was a slow leak. We called Good Sam Road Hazard to come out to change the tire out for the spare tire. Since I'm new to rving, it was the first time calling anyone. A tow company came out in an unmarked pickup truck and while changing the tire a ranger came by to let us know we didn't have a 'day use permit sticker/hangtag' displayed in the repairman's pickup. I naively explained that we had to call a tow company and we'll go back to the entrance and get the hang tag. It turns out you are not allowed to have commercial businesses on state property without prior authorizations. The ranger was kind and we agreed the fellow was a friend who came out to change the tire. In this case, we alternatively could have hooked back up and moved the trailer out to the highway (since it was a slow leak) but isn't there a possible scenario where one might need to call a mobile rv repair person to do some sort of repair while camped there? Or am I being overly worried and one can usually wait to have repairs done at the next campground? And does it seem that this rule only applies to some states and not all? Should I have checked with the ranger first to find out what process needed to be followed? Any ideas on how to plan for this are appreciated (including if I should not worry about it at all.)

Old 07-20-2016, 09:22 AM   #2

My entire statement is out of ignorance of laws and other states.......BUT.......

That's plumb insane!

Come down south. I doubt there's a campground in the South that would hassle anyone having trouble like that. In fact, I bet the park rangers would be helping the tow truck guy.

Geez.

If I EVER went to that campground again (unlikely), when I checked in I'd ask for a 2nd mirror tag just in case I needed another tow truck!!!

Maybe I'm all wet........but there's just too many rules in this old world, IMHO!!!!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:24 AM   #3
Site Team

I am sure the rules vary with each state and even within a state. Some campgrounds are open ( not gated) and some are not. Many public and private campgrounds are concerned about liability and other legal issues. When you reserved your site, you most likely agreed to the rules for you and visitors to your site. The commercial repairman did not. My suggestion is to ask the ranger or camp host. Many times, they will have a list of vendors they have approved and recommend which may actually save you money. Some times the approved vendor list is actually for your protection.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:28 AM   #4
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
My entire statement is out of ignorance of laws and other states.......BUT.......

That's plumb insane!

Come down south. I doubt there's a campground in the South that would hassle anyone having trouble like that. In fact, I bet the park rangers would be helping the tow truck guy.

Geez.

If I EVER went to that campground again (unlikely), when I checked in I'd ask for a 2nd mirror tag just in case I needed another tow truck!!!

Maybe I'm all wet........but there's just too many rules in this old world, IMHO!!!!
X2!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:30 AM   #5

I'll go even further.

I would have been kicked out of that campground........

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:41 AM   #6

I would send a letter (email) of complaint to whoever is in charge of the state parks. Missouri state parks aren't like this.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:47 AM   #7

Come to Arkansas they are not like that, I have had GS come to my campsite to open my truck after I locked the keys in it. Yes I had OnStar at the time but it had expired.
40 Gal TransferFlow fuel tank
Amateur Radio W5CI AR-0043-29 2016 Days Camping 50
2017 Days Camping 8
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:53 AM   #8

I'm betting the ranger was just bored and decided you needed picking on and pulled a rule out of his posterior. I would do as the previous post suggested and send a nice email to the district supervisor asking for clarification of how to handle emergencies inside the park. At least the ranger was kind and didn't continue his bad cop routine
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:58 AM   #9

I hope these "Hang Tag Rules" do Not apply for "Fire and Rescue Trucks"! Youroo!!
Old 07-20-2016, 10:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katja View Post
While extending the stabilizers on the fifth wheel at Leasburg Dam State Park, New Mexico, I noticed a nail in the trailer tire. We tested and there was a slow leak. We called Good Sam Road Hazard to come out to change the tire out for the spare tire. Since I'm new to rving, it was the first time calling anyone. A tow company came out in an unmarked pickup truck and while changing the tire a ranger came by to let us know we didn't have a 'day use permit sticker/hangtag' displayed in the repairman's pickup. I naively explained that we had to call a tow company and we'll go back to the entrance and get the hang tag. It turns out you are not allowed to have commercial businesses on state property without prior authorizations. The ranger was kind and we agreed the fellow was a friend who came out to change the tire. In this case, we alternatively could have hooked back up and moved the trailer out to the highway (since it was a slow leak) but isn't there a possible scenario where one might need to call a mobile rv repair person to do some sort of repair while camped there? Or am I being overly worried and one can usually wait to have repairs done at the next campground? And does it seem that this rule only applies to some states and not all? Should I have checked with the ranger first to find out what process needed to be followed? Any ideas on how to plan for this are appreciated (including if I should not worry about it at all.)
I suppose the easiest solution would have been to contact the rangers station and ask if they could change the tire for you or to have them call a AAA, Good Sam, etc company to come out and change it.

Or god forbid carry a small bottle jack, a breaker bar with an extension and a socket wrench that fits the lug nuts and change the tire yourself. unless of course you were physically incapable of doing so. If that were the case and you had asked yourcamping neighbors for help, I am quite sure they would have lended a hand

Tags
led, repair, service