Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2016, 06:59 PM   #21

Refrigerator bars

An inexpensive way to secure things in the fridge is to use adjustable spring tension curtain rods. I use them in the fridge and in the shower cubicle for hanging towels up to dry.

Wally World carries them as well as other places like Big Lots

Mainstays 18"-28" Adjustable 7/16" Diameter Chrome Finished Tension Rod - Walmart.com

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:14 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
Saturday I was lamenting not being able to turn on the frig 24 hours ahead of time like it's prescribed, but it's parked an hour away. Then I was shocked, 90 minutes later, the frig was cold enough. Granted, it started at 55 degrees but still, that was fast. My problem is my refrigerator gets too cold. I thought you could travel with this unit on?
My fridge gets cold fast too and is colder than I would like. However, I haven't had anything become frozen in the fridge so I stopped worrying about it.

I do travel with my fridge on. Having the fridge on or not while traveling is a long running debate. My suggestion would be to do some research on this topic. If you are not sure then play it safe by using a cooler or other method.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:25 PM   #23
Mod free 5er

We always run our frig on propane while traveling and it automatically goes to 110V when we hook to shore power and then automatically switches to propane when disconnected from shore power. Love the automatic switchover.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:04 PM   #24

Really helpful feedback, everyone. It is interesting to see how folks get ready to roll. Thanks for sharing. Gonna turn on the fridge to cool it down, freeze some bottled water, head to Wally World for curtain rods, then turn on the propane & meet the DW in the mountains!

RevKen
4.6L 2016 Tundra
'15 Roo 21SS

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
RevKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:25 PM   #25
sevetenajcedar

Perishable food

I pre-cool the fridge then last minute, i place a block of ice in an open container in the fridge. And the freezer. I freeze what food can be frozen. I place food that cannot be frozen in sealed box containers. Salad fixings, bread, etc. So nothing gets soggy. You can refreeze the blocks or use for drinks to celebrate your arrival. I use the resealable vacuum bags for cold cuts, cheese, even left overs. I have baskets in the fridge to organize. I pre-cook dinners and vacuum seal them. Then you just put the bags in boiling water to heat no mess no clean up. It shortens cooking time if you need to crisp something in the oven. I used a "K" cup drawer for small spice jars and small amounts of pantry items- corn starch, baking powder, dried onions, etc. You rarely use more than a teaspoon in any recipe and the small jars hold 1/4 cup. Penzey spices will sell you spices and empty jars and blank labels. I put 36 jars in that drawer. Hope this helps
sevetenajcedar is offline   Reply With Quote