Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2017, 08:29 AM   #1

How to reach the high spots for polishing and waxing

Hi all!

Did numerous searches for tips on how to do this and didn't see suggestions.
So, I brainstormed yesterday because I wanted to take advantage of the cloud cover yesterday morning for polishing and waxing the front of my 2018 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26RR.
I'm a big guy (240ish) and was concerned about damaging the RV with the weight of me on the ladder in order to buff the high spots with polish and wax. I've only had this toy hauler for 2 months and already started to see some black streaks that started to form. Scrubbing Bubbles didn't work, and then I figured that FR probably didn't put on any wax at the factory.
And then it hit me - "the boogie board solution".
I used the board for better weight distribution and I bungeed and old couch cushion to bottom of it and "Voila!"
It worked perfectly.
When it rained later yesterday, I actually enjoyed watching the water bead up, race down and fly off. Also, no more black steaks.
The pic of the whole front is the morning after the rain from the glancing blow we got here on the CT shoreline from Hurricane Jose.
FYI, I used Meguiar's buffer attachment for drill driver, Meguiar's polishing compound, and Meguiar's spray and wipe wax.
I love it when a plan comes together.

CTSS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender(3).jpg
Views:	252
Size:	448.3 KB
ID:	151935   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender(1).jpg
Views:	251
Size:	569.9 KB
ID:	151936   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender(2).jpg
Views:	240
Size:	334.1 KB
ID:	151937  
Old 09-22-2017, 10:06 AM   #2

that one way to solve a problem
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:39 AM   #3

I have a ladder about like yours and what I did was buy a couple of pool noodles, split them down the middle and attached with bungee cord, no scratches and very light weight to carry with us on long trips.
Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 gas
Sailor Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Bill View Post
I have a ladder about like yours and what I did was buy a couple of pool noodles, split them down the middle and attached with bungee cord, no scratches and very light weight to carry with us on long trips.
Sailor Bill,

LOL! Great minds think alike! I was looking to buy some pool noodles originally and the water sports connection made me think of the boogie board solution spend-no-money-option. We've got three of those boards and the kids are now 30 and damn near 20. I've had that old couch cushion for a while... it was just waiting to be used.

Happy travels,

CTSS
Old 10-04-2017, 09:48 AM   #5

Please be careful, I fell off of a ladder while applying caulk near the top of my fiver. The ladder moved and fell and down I came. I was very lucky.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:00 AM   #6

WashWax All has a pole that extends easily and reaches high enough to do my 13 foot high fifth wheel easily.

What was a 6 hour job using a ladder is now 1.5 hours and no climbing.

Love their WashWax product and the pole saves my bacon.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:26 AM   #7

That sounds like what I need. How do you do the roof? I wouldn't like climbing on the roof and walking around. Prior to falling off of the ladder, I went around the fiver on a ladder cleaning and applying protector.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
Please be careful, I fell off of a ladder while applying caulk near the top of my fiver. The ladder moved and fell and down I came. I was very lucky.
whj,

Thanks for your concern. Truth is I know that I have no more falls left in me. I've got both knees and one hip replaced, a 6 inch metal plate and seven screws in one ankle, chronic arthritis, and 2 shoulders that are so bad surgery won't help. At this point, few are more careful than me when it come to making sure falls don't happen. I was OSHA certified once and remember a few things I was taught about ladder safety.

Sorry about your ladder mishap. I'm still not planning to clean an treat the roof of my 30 foot toy hauler - the young guys at the dealership can do that.

I'm just a nut about keeping any vehicle I own looking really sharp.

I get compliments on my 2015 F-150 Lariat all the time. New 2018 TT & TV together has been called "badass" more than once.

Happy trails,

CTSS
Old 10-04-2017, 10:30 AM   #9

Can do either standing on the roof or from a ladder with the pole. I haven't done my roof yet. Best option is to hire a kid and give him the pole to do it. Shouldn't take 15 minutes.

FYI there are utube videos at their website, Aero cosmetics.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
Can do either standing on the roof or from a ladder with the pole. I haven't done my roof yet.

FYI there are utube videos at their website, Aero cosmetics.
BuzzWolfAR,

And "from the side with a pole" was the one way I thought I might try to do the roof if I want to save some $$$ - I'm too scared to go all the way topside - too much to lose.

Happy trails,

CTSS
Old 10-04-2017, 10:04 PM   #11

The front of your TT looks awesome! So there is no issue using automotive wax on our TT's?
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
The front of your TT looks awesome! So there is no issue using automotive wax on our TT's?
Larry,

Thanks for the compliment. I used a little Turtle Wax rubbing compound lightly by hand on one spot where some bug guts had blemished the paint ever so slightly. Next, I used Meguiar's polishing compound with a Meguiar's buffer attachment on my Ryobi drill driver. I finished with the Meguiar's spray cleaner wax (just spray on and wipe off).

The above routine made my TT look better than it did new.

Thanks again and happy trails,

CTSS
Old 10-05-2017, 05:34 AM   #13

My neighbor asked me how I got rid of the "Black Streaks" so easily on my trailer. He's got a Montana and has always complained about removing them and all the different products he's tried. I tried a couple of different things when we got our trailer and what I've had the best luck with....."Dawn" dish detergent and water. I wash those areas first, the black comes right off, then I wash the trailer with Blue Coral wash/wax. 10 years and it works great.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
My neighbor asked me how I got rid of the "Black Streaks" so easily on my trailer. He's got a Montana and has always complained about removing them and all the different products he's tried. I tried a couple of different things when we got our trailer and what I've had the best luck with....."Dawn" dish detergent and water. I wash those areas first, the black comes right off, then I wash the trailer with Blue Coral wash/wax. 10 years and it works great.
WolfPaq,

I tried Scrubbing Bubbles with no success. I didn't try the Dawn as I wanted to polish and vastly improve the shine anyway. However, now that there's a good coat of wax on my TT (and I strongly suspect that none or not much was put on at the factory or dealership) either Dawn or Scrubbing Bubbles would probably work in the future. I've used Blue Coral on my cars and truck before and liked it. But I gotta tell ya, that Meguiar's combo of products has worked very nicely - perhaps the best I've seen.

Happy trails,

CTSS

Tags
wax