Old 04-22-2019, 12:18 PM   #1

Hughes Autoformer BX4370 Power Watch Dog

I was looking at purchasing this for our TT. I was wanting to know if anyone has had experience with it? It seems to be fairly new.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0791RW8M2...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Thank you for your feedback

Old 04-22-2019, 12:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrug23 View Post
I was looking at purchasing this for our TT. I was wanting to know if anyone has had experience with it? It seems to be fairly new.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0791RW8M2...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Thank you for your feedback
It is made by Hughes Auto Transformer but is not an autotransformer.

It is just a surge protector and nothing more. It will stop large voltage spikes from getting to you RV. It takes one hit and it is destroyed.

Research EMS from Progressive industries. That will give you good multiple protection specially from low voltage which is common in older campgrounds. Comes with a lifetime guaranty. Cost is about $200.00 more and worth every penny.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
It is just a surge protector and nothing more. It will stop large voltage spikes from getting to you RV. It takes one hit and it is destroyed.

Research EMS from Progressive industries. That will give you good multiple protection specially from low voltage which is common in older campgrounds. Comes with a lifetime guaranty. Cost is about $200.00 more and worth every penny.

So if you have low voltage in your campground and your Progressive Industries trips out, what do you do? Leave? Disconnect and just dry camp? I have yet to get anyone to answer that question...

Tim

Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
So if you have low voltage in your campground and your Progressive Industries trips out, what do you do? Leave? Disconnect and just dry camp? I have yet to get anyone to answer that question...

Tim
The low voltage in campground usually happens during the day when everyone has A/C running. Later in the evening power usually come back to normal and the EMS will if fact turn the power back on. Low voltage is not an issue if you don't uses your A/C. Low voltage will destroy an A/C compressor. If this becomes a problem simply bypass it or remove your EMS and keep your A/C off. As long as the EMS shows correct wiring at the Pedestal.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
Old 04-22-2019, 01:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
It is made by Hughes Auto Transformer but is not an autotransformer.

So I have looked at the EMS but not sure I can justify the cost with the wife since we only camp a few days a month. I realize that this is basically a surge protector but one reason I was looking at instead of others was that it connects to your phone and on your phone you can set up alerts for low voltage. Also if you do get a surge the surge protector part is replaceable.

It just seems to be a new product (came out about a year ago) and was hoping to know if anyone else has had an experience with it or this company.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:57 PM   #6

Quote:
So I have looked at the EMS but not sure I can justify the cost with the wife since we only camp a few days a month. I realize that this is basically a surge protector but one reason I was looking at instead of others was that it connects to your phone and on your phone you can set up alerts for low voltage. Also if you do get a surge the surge protector part is replaceable.

It just seems to be a new product (came out about a year ago) and was hoping to know if anyone else has had an experience with it or this company.
the company is very reliable. I don't know anything about the product other than it is a surge protector. The phone thing sounds good. If you get an alert at least you can turn off your A/C.

Would not work for me. I would be outside drinking a beer and my phone would be inside on my dresser.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:01 PM   #7
Scoundrel

Quote:

My Progressive Industries 30A EMS cut power to my TT for about 4 minutes yesterday. It detected some anomally, saved the camper, and turned power back on again. If it was due to an electrical "surge", the unit you're looking at buying would have sacraficed itself and your camper would be ok but you would be out $103 bones.

Hope my experience helps with your decision.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post

Tim
I have said "It has never happened to me" but last trip, it did.

Coming home mid April from Indiana, we stopped in Terre Haute KOA. We were late, told them of this. Office closed when we got there, no problem.

We hooked up, and like an IDIOT, I did not hook up P.I. EMS system first!!!! I was tired, we were not even going to unhook, and drive home the next day, two long days.

Didn't take long.....half my trailer had no power. Leg 2 of 50 amp was just not there. Unfortunately, Refrig was on that loop. I called and left message, but there is no emergency number. Went and plugged in EMS and sure enough it said "Low Voltage". The pedestal was connected to the guy next to me, and he had a zillion weird wires going everywhere. He was apparently a permanent resident! That was probably the issue somehow.

There was ONE FHU site left, and it was already 10:00 PM, so I moved. But before I could set up, here comes a motorhome wanting my spot. His wife was on oxygen so he had to have it.

So I moved to another 50 amp, but no sewer site. By this time it's 11:00 pm. Not happy.

Makes me want an Autoformer.

But yes, if the EMS says "No Go, Dufus", then I move. Not going to lose my food, and not going to chance running refrig all night on batteries (though I bet it would have been ok). I didn't want batteries to be dead in the morning while I'm trying to retract and head out.

So that's the long answer.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:30 PM   #9

OH!!! While we're on this subject................

Had a weird happening that P.I. Tech Support knows about, apparently. This winter we're in Florida. First week, every morning, the power kicks off for a few minutes. I call campground, they send electrician, can find nothing. EMS says "High Frequency", which I've never seen.

Finally I figure it's my EMS causing this, so I call them (they are now owned by MarineCo). I don't get two sentences out and they guy says "Yeah, I know what it is. You're under a street lamp, right?" Well no, but I am connected to one of those white Eaton power pedestals that has light that comes on at dusk and off at dawn. He says "We don't know why, but many of our units kick off for High Frequency when that light goes off in the morning. We think it's because the light pedestal is not grounded properly".

I don't know why it doesn't do it at night when it comes on. But my fix was to go out and put electric tape over the sensor so the light on the pedestal stayed on all day and all night. No more drops.

SO, just an FYI if you have a temporary (like 2 minutes off, then the normal 2+ minute cycle back on) drop of power with a P.I. EMS.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:11 AM   #10

Quote:
So I have looked at the EMS but not sure I can justify the cost with the wife since we only camp a few days a month.
And if, or when that low voltage burns up your AC compressor and you spend several times the cost of that EMS to replace the AC and buy the EMS, so it does not happen again, she will ask you why you didn't buy it in the first place.

Tags
power