Old 07-23-2017, 12:29 PM   #1

Question Ideas needed for vinyl furniture covers

Wondering if anyone has any hints about how to prevent rips in our new 2016 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL. We were very disappointed to see that the dinette and couch are covered with vinyl instead of cloth. We know that it is going to get a rip at some point. Does anyone know of a resource for furniture covers that fit well and might prevent this from ripping? Thanks for any ideas.

Backcountry Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #2

Have covers made.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:21 AM   #3

Our cushions are fabric on top and vinyl on the bottom but I still cover them because of our dogs. I just cut a piece of fabric large enough to wrap the cushion the same way I would wrap a box with paper with the loose ends on the bottom and then secure it with safety pins. That side is down anyway and doesn't show and while not quite as neat looking as custom made, a lot easier to change for washing or replacement.
hb9542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb9542 View Post
Our cushions are fabric on top and vinyl on the bottom but I still cover them because of our dogs. I just cut a piece of fabric large enough to wrap the cushion the same way I would wrap a box with paper with the loose ends on the bottom and then secure it with safety pins. That side is down anyway and doesn't show and while not quite as neat looking as custom made, a lot easier to change for washing or replacement.
Our interior is fabric, and we used some inexpensive, complementary colored hand towels for the armrests and seatbacks, just like "mom" would have done. Like $2/ea at Penny's on sale
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:52 AM   #5

Thanks for the ideas. I do sew, but certainly not upholstering and really wanted to avoid that. Thinking I could sew something like a pillowcase and use the pins to hold it together at the end, that was a good idea!
Backcountry Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:09 PM   #6

Beach towels would work also. Get some big safety pins and make your pillowcase slipcovers for your dinette cushions. Pin the ends shut. Easy on and off for washing. pull the ends around to the underneath so you can hide them pins.
The sofa will need a different approach. Use two beach towels for the back, stitch them together on the long side, pull it over the top of the couch back, with the seam long the top of the couch, pin the ends together pulling the closure towards the back somewhat to hide the pins.
You cannot use sticky velcro on vinyl, it won't stay stuck.
The seat part, just have to see how well you can cover it. Fabric on vinyl is hard to keep in place unless you can fit it well or anchor it.
Velour beach towels are better than the ones that have looped threads. Less snags from dogs toenails, kids or whatever.

I would also use some printed duck cloth. They have some beautiful prints for decorating with and it wears well.

Fabric covers are nice but the vinyl allows you to slide into the dinette.
Eventually all vinyl wears regardless what you do. Just have to keep an eye on the cushions, use some clear tape, like Gorilla tape on any tears that start. Using covers on the couch will prevent the top layer of the vinyl from wearing off.
Just my two cents worth.
TreeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #7

I have found fitted sheets work well for couch. Make a foot rest from flat sheet and Omaha styrofoam cooler
2003 Ford F-250 super duty diesel
Vinemont, AL
Triple SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple SS View Post
Make a foot rest from flat sheet and Omaha styrofoam cooler
Love this idea for a foot rest!! Thanks!
TreeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:54 PM   #9

You may want to try Sure Fit | Slipcovers | Furniture Covers | Pet Covers | Mattress Pads
However, if you can do it yourself, you will like it much more. It's cool to DIY.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:59 PM   #10

The vinyl may be far more resilient than you think. Our motorhome has a "pleather" sofa and it's amazing. Four years of rough use with a 70 pound boxer and not a mark to be seen. I do put a flannel blanket on the seat part when camping in chilly weather.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:10 PM   #11

My wife made a cover that goes over the back of our recliners out of moving blankets she purchased at Harbor Freight.

Ron & Pat
Greentown Indiana
2014 F350
2016 Chaparal 336TSIK
ronandpat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover