Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2016, 02:11 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,422
I've never thought about it, but I would have to say that using the 50A with adapter would likely be a good idea. The 50A plug will have beefier contacts to begin with- add in the fact that it is used less, and you're much less likely to have a contact issue or voltage drop at the receptacle. I've seen MANY 30A plugs that were fried- almost looked to have been on fire numerous times. I think this has a lot to do with heavy use, voltage drops resulting in continuous near max amperage loads, and possibly the fact that older rigs with more worn plugs have used them.
__________________

__________________
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:14 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 74
I had a bad experience with a CG 30A breaker giving me unwanted trips well under the 30A breaker rating, so I plugged into the 50A with adapter and ceased having trips. I plugged my spare 30A extension into the 30A receptacle and plugged my BBQ grill and it tripped the 30A breaker so it was a bad CG breaker that wouldn't hold 15A.
In my opinion, use the 50A with 30A adapter whenever you can. It beats having to relocate to another site if the 30A is not working properly.
__________________

__________________
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:17 PM   #23
Canadian Member
 
itat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,900
Very interesting. Thanks for the tip! I'll have to make sure I have the adapter on board.

Of course this won't matter at any Provincial Parks up here since they don't have 50A service, just 30A and 15A on the post.
__________________
2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293SS, 12K Equal-i-zer WDH
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73, w/ snow plow & camper pkgs.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:29 PM   #24
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 15,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strigflag View Post
I may be missing something here but using 50 amp service means the breaker is a 50amp breaker. A breaker is a safety device to prevent excess current. If there is a short or wiring fault it will draw up to and including 50 amps before the breaker will trip. That means, among other things, your 30 amp cord may burn up and any electrical items that are in trouble may also catch fire..
Why would you risk your safety?
This is factually correct. Your power cord between the campground breaker and your RV breaker is not going to be protected by a 30 amp breaker.

As others have stated, you hope that your RV's 30 amp breaker will trip due to an overload inside the RV. However, if it doesn't (I hate to place blind faith in circuit breakers), then it's possible that your second line of defense (the campground circuit breaker) isn't going to trip till it's overloaded too (which is 50 amp when connected that way).

The chances of this happening are extremely low, but nonetheless are possible. It's a risk you assume whenever you use the adapter.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:31 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
The key word there is GOOD!

True, a 50 amp outlet (through an adapter) won't allow your 30 amp rig to utilize any additional power that a correctly balanced, properly wired 30 amp outlet will... but in the real world, those pristine 30 amp'ers seem to be fewer and farther between.

I'll always take the 50 amp outlet if available.
x2
__________________
2013 Flagstaff 8528IKWS, 2006 F-350 6.0L
DickiedooFlagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:37 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
This is factually correct. Your power cord between the campground breaker and your RV breaker is not going to be protected by a 30 amp breaker.

As others have stated, you hope that your RV's 30 amp breaker will trip due to an overload inside the RV. However, if it doesn't (I hate to place blind faith in circuit breakers), then it's possible that your second line of defense (the campground circuit breaker) isn't going to trip till it's overloaded too (which is 50 amp when connected that way).

The chances of this happening are extremely low, but nonetheless are possible. It's a risk you assume whenever you use the adapter.
Keep in mind that the VAST majority of the wiring in your camper is protected by individual breakers. Those SHOULD trip if there is an issue. The 30A breaker on the converter is technically only protecting the wiring between the pedestal and the converter. The bulk of that run is on the outside of the camper. And I THINK that the 50A breaker should trip if there is an overload on either leg. And I THINK that the 10 gauge power cord would probably still trip a 50A breaker, though it would probably heat up considerably before doing so. Maybe an actual electrician could inform us if this is true.
__________________
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:37 PM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Ridgefield, CT
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Your 30 amp breaker in your camper will trip before all of what you say happens.


2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
Only if the fault is beyond the in house breaker. If there is a fault between the pedestal and that breaker (that includes the cord, exterior receptacle (if there is one) and the wiring from the receptacle to the in house breaker.
Surge protector may or may not help depending on the design.They are mainly used to protect against spikes in voltage not current although some may trip with overdraw.
In my opinion you are taking an unacceptable risk.
__________________
Strigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:41 PM   #28
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 22
Bogus info

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
This is correct, that a split phase 120/240 campground service is capable of providing 50 amps PER leg or a 100 amps total.

This is often misunderstood by many. These links may help out:


Electrical Tutorial - Chapter 3 - 30 Amp versus 50 Amp


Click the 50 amp tab on left for this one:
RV Electric

AC Electricity

Here is a good visual:

Clicking the URL for your information...it shows a 30 amp to 50 amp adapter not a 50-30 . You need to read more books lol.
__________________
Tropiccafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Evereddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pfafftown NC
Posts: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropiccafe View Post
Clicking the URL for your information...it shows a 30 amp to 50 amp adapter not a 50-30 . You need to read more books lol.
He posted a link to someones web page which happened to have a photo which because of the way it is labeled is misleading. The info on that page is correct just a misleading caption. No need to get accusatory on your part. Jeez.
__________________
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:03 PM   #30
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 15,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropiccafe View Post
Clicking the URL for your information...it shows a 30 amp to 50 amp adapter not a 50-30 . You need to read more books lol.
Not really understanding your "bogus" comment. All the links I posted concerned the understanding of 50 amps per leg on a 120/240 volt split phase service. It had nothing to do with any adapter you spoke of.

However, if you are referring to the first link in my post, that does show the kind of adapter you are speaking of, that is just part of that article......which has many different bits of information, including an adapter that lets you plug a 50 amp RV into a 30 amp outlet (as pictured and explained in the article). The adapter pictured goes to the last paragraph of the article, which is correct in how you plug a 50 amp RV to a 30 amp outlet.
__________________

__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
50 amp, power

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 PM.