Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2016, 08:38 PM   #1

Is it feasible or even possible to install a hot water on demand water heater on a cla

The info I'm reading in the forum is the hot water storage capacity is lacking on most RV which, in many cases, renders the RV shower a a less desirable option. My thought is to research hot water on demand water heaters for RV use. I would think one heated by LP would be the way to go. Any thoughts?

All the Best,
Wade & Pam

Wade & Pam

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
wbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Some higher end RVs come with on-demand WH.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:10 PM   #3

Thanks - is there a preferred type (electric/LP)?

All the Best,
Wade & Pam

Wade & Pam

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
wbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:55 PM   #4

I have one in my 5er. Works great.
Trobec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:58 PM   #5

Guess I should mention that it is a Girard tankless rv water heater.
Trobec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:28 PM   #6

If you have a 6 gal WH, you could go to a 10 gal, if you have room for it.

Frankly, using both gas and electric, and not wasting water, DW and I have had no problems with not enough water (6 gal).

Now if you've got kids who like stand there...... send'em to the bath house

From my experience reading this forum, I think there are mixed emotions on the demand-type water heaters. Difficult to control the temperature.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:33 PM   #7
Some guy in back...

Wink The devil is in the details...

I recently had an on-demand hot water heater installed in my TT in place of the factory equipped 6 gallon tank.

What I can tell you:
  1. Between brands, there are real differences in the performance of RV tank-type hot water heaters. They are not all the same!
  2. What you fit in your trailer depends on the size of the hole in your current rig and the size of your wallet. There are more or less two standard dimensions. You can always make the hole bigger, but it can be costly.
  3. Tank type heaters have been around for a long time and are fairly mature. Tankless, on-demand water heaters for RVs have been around a far shorter length of time and as evidenced by the recent different generations of the Girard models, they seem to still be evolving.
I elected to go with the latest Girard tankless heater because it would fit in the hole I already had and the apparent cost was going to be manageable.

The device works well and provides a constant flow of water at the temperature I choose for as long as I want. It runs on propane (only), needs 12VDC for control and will work as long as the water flows.

It's great for washing long hair, relaxing after a long day or just steaming up your rig.
It's not so good for washing your hands, one plate or a few pieces of cutlery.

I am adding a small (2 gallon) electric water heater at the output of the Girard to supply hot water in small amounts while the tankless heater starts up to allow me to do the hands wash and few dishes thing that is 50% of what I need hot water for.

At the moment, there is one Hot Water Heater for RVs on the market that appears to do very well for both long showers and short bursts of hot water for washing hands, Etc. It's by Truma and has a very innovative design, almost a hybrid system. If I had it to do over, I would install one in my rig.

Cheers!
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:00 PM   #8

I had the Truma HW heater installed shortly after I bought my TT two years ago. Dealer gave me a slight credit on the 6 gal HW he took out.

Once you balance the HW and cold water, the temperature remains constant. No fluctuations. Worked very well with cold water coming in at about 40 degrees.

So long as you have propane, you'll have plenty of HW. Used to leave both propane tanks on until I emptied both tanks and had to rinse in less than warm water.

I have been very happy with the Truma HW heater.
johng4706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
If you have a 6 gal WH, you could go to a 10 gal, if you have room for it.

Frankly, using both gas and electric, and not wasting water, DW and I have had no problems with not enough water (6 gal).

Now if you've got kids who like stand there...... send'em to the bath house

From my experience reading this forum, I think there are mixed emotions on the demand-type water heaters. Difficult to control the temperature.
Ditto. We full time in ours for 4 months at a time using the 6 gal water heater and I have yet to run out and I do spend more time in there than most people. At least that's what my wife says. I contemplated changing to an on demand gas system but thought I would try this one first. It has been perfect for us and we usually just run it on electric thereby saving a lot of gas.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:27 PM   #10
Global Nomad

On Demand with 36CKTS

My Cedar Creek came with the on demand hot water heater. I like it. No navy showers.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:39 AM   #11

Our 5ver came with one, once we got used to it we love it
it runs on propane only
no regrets here

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:08 AM   #12

We have had a Girard on demand in our 5ver for the last 5 years and LOVE it. Will never go back to the tank😉.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:21 PM   #13

I would love to have one of those. The 6 gallon is fine for us for one shower, but it would eliminate the 20 minute wait for the 2nd shower. If it took a minute or two to heat up that wouldn't bother me. Propane only wouldn't bother me either. I can't see any downsides.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:32 PM   #14
Some guy in back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
I would love to have one of those. The 6 gallon is fine for us for one shower, but it would eliminate the 20 minute wait for the 2nd shower. If it took a minute or two to heat up that wouldn't bother me. Propane only wouldn't bother me either. I can't see any downsides.
The "downside" is that for the 20 seconds or so while the system is "heating up", you are running water. In California, this is a cardinal sin, no matter if you are on city water or *shudders* from your own tank. Twenty seconds might be a gallon or more of water wasted! Sure you can capture it, Etc., but that is solution to the process, not the problem. The Truma system solves the problem and you don't waste water while it is "heating up".
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:36 PM   #15

A much easier and cheaper option to try first is replacing your shower head with an Oxygenics. We bathe 4 kids and 2 adults within 30 minutes or less typically. Granted, the colder the incoming water the more likely you are to run out, but for the most part our little 6 gallon WH provides plenty of hot water- even if running just on electric. It can also be run on gas AND electric to speed up recovery time. I prefer being able to run on just electric since it's included in the campsite fee.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:37 PM   #16

My Columbus came with a 10 Gallon water heater and If we have both Electricity and Propane on we get comfortable showers for 3 people without loss of hot water.. We run just the electric most of the time.
5 stars
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChateauV10 View Post
The "downside" is that for the 20 seconds or so while the system is "heating up", you are running water. In California, this is a cardinal sin, no matter if you are on city water or *shudders* from your own tank. Twenty seconds might be a gallon or more of water wasted! Sure you can capture it, Etc., but that is solution to the process, not the problem. The Truma system solves the problem and you don't waste water while it is "heating up".
Here we go again. We might have to wait 5-7 seconds for hot water with our on demand. If you had to wait longer, your run from the WH to the faucet must be a lot longer. And if my rig came with a Truma system, great! Otherwise just too expensive for the slight performance improvement. We always had tanks in the past and we were concerned with water usage increase when going to tankless while boondocking. Our experience is that it is exactly the same. We use 90 gallons a week either way.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:54 PM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
A much easier and cheaper option to try first is replacing your shower head with an Oxygenics. We bathe 4 kids and 2 adults within 30 minutes or less typically. Granted, the colder the incoming water the more likely you are to run out, but for the most part our little 6 gallon WH provides plenty of hot water- even if running just on electric. It can also be run on gas AND electric to speed up recovery time. I prefer being able to run on just electric since it's included in the campsite fee.
Interesting enough... if this suggestion was stated for (hot) water savings... several here (including myself) have done some research and testing to find the Oxygenics head actually flows MORE water than most of the OEM shower heads.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:28 PM   #19
Global Nomad

On Demand with 36CKTS

Quote: We bathe 4 kids and 2 adults within 30 minutes or less typically.

Obviously it is your own preference. For me, I am usually fully hooked up, and I like to take a nice, long, hot shower. Propane usage is minimum. On demand suits my needs. List your priorities, and buy what suits you.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Interesting enough... if this suggestion was stated for (hot) water savings... several here (including myself) have done some research and testing to find the Oxygenics head actually flows MORE water than most of the OEM shower heads.
That may be- based upon time. But if the dispersion of the water is better and results in better coverage and speeds up my shower I can still save water. Think of it as using a high volume spray rig to paint a wall versus using a water gun to paint. The high volume spray rig may use more PER MINUTE, but if I can get better coverage I can use less water by saving time. So, if you want to be in the shower 15 minutes, you very well may be correct that the Oxygenics will use more. If you stay in the shower until you are CLEAN (what we do), then my experience through the use of both is that the Oxygenics is a better option.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater