Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
How much does a "low cost" 2 5/16" ball cost? Not much. I bought one then cut the stud (threaded part) off. I insert the ball, lock the tongue lock onto it then put a padlock on the tongue lock after removing my tow vehicle. I have actually seen a camper trailer theft take place by lowering the TT onto a 1 7/8" ball using the TT weight to hold it on as they pulled away. We, a friend and I who were camping and saw this, stopped the thieves with my friends truck. They fled, leaving the old Ford truck and stolen camper. Please note here: The local police were called to a State Campground (GA.), they stated that they could do nothing as this was State Property. The State Police were called in and they stated that this was private property so they could not do anything. This is a result of GA. contracting with private ventures to run State Parks. The State Police did tell the TT owner that IF he removed the TT from the thieves truck then they would go to jail for "tampering with evidence". The local Sheriff's Office finally took the initiative to get statements, remove the truck from the TT, and give the TT to the rightful owner. Later the owners did receive word that the thieves were caught as the truck was registered to on of them and they confessed. My friend and I had to give depositions to attorneys in our hometown as witnesses. I never heard if the perps were punished.
I have a "low-boy" that has a 2" hitch and chocks when I don't want to take the toy hauler out or loan out when folks are moving (chocks removed) and always keep a lock on it but hadn't thought about some one using the smaller ball like that. May be checking in to doing what you have done Thurman.

Like others I am not really worried while at a camp since I have the king pin tripod, hoses, cables and slides out. Anyone wanting my 5'er would have to be committed to the act for sure. I did just have a king pin lock delivered for use at the storage area since it is in the country and we have heard about propane tanks being lifted (yes I have a cable lock on the tank).

I know none of this will stop someone bent on theft but if I can "cause" them to move to an easier target then job done.

I predicate all the input on this thread. I learn so much here.

Thanks!
coderider is offline   Reply With Quote