Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2018, 03:36 PM   #1

Kitchen and Refrigerator Storage

This is our first camper with a kitchen and refrigerator. What are some tips on how to store things in the cabinets and frig during transport? What things do we need to have and not need to have?
Old 03-30-2018, 03:48 PM   #2

I'm a fan of adjustable spring tension rods to hold everything in place in the fridge while travelling.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:33 PM   #3

We use the tension rods in some of the cabinets too. We also like that waffle looking shelf liner and cut it to cushion things (dishes, pots and pans, etc.) that tend to shift while traveling.

A few days before traveling, we freeze two partially filled plastic milk cartons with water. Then when we start the fridge, we put one in the freezer and one in the refrigerator. It helps them cool down quicker and in case of problems with the fridge ( running out of propane, forgetting to turn the fridge on, etc.), it'll help protect your food.
Reverse_snowbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:41 PM   #4

On the other side, when not in use, keep the doors on the fridge and freezer open or you will be cleaning out mold. I knew this and still closed the doors without thinking. Even in my dry climate, I was cleaning the fridge and freezer.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:04 PM   #5

I use tension rods in the fridge as well to help keep things from tumbling out when you open the fridge upon arrival. I also use the waffle looking shelf liner that can be cut to fit not only to set things on but also as a cushioning layer between plates (yes, I use real plates) as well as inside pots and pans so the inside of the pots aren't getting scratched if you have to stack them.

The other item I got that I really like is a small fridge fan (battery operated). I find that the fan helps to circulate air throughout the fridge and keeps the temp in the fridge a little more consistent throughout. The main thing with the fridge is to not overpack it if you don't have a house fridge in your camper. If air can't circulate in an RV fridge because it is stuffed to the gills with food items, it has a much harder time trying to keep the fridge compartment cool.

I've learned that sometimes it is easier to purchase cold food items when I get where I'm going rather than trying to bring absolutely everything I think I'll need.
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:25 PM   #6

I’ve never had a need for tension rods in the refrigerator. Items don’t seem to move around too much in there. The place where I use a tension curtain rod is the cabinet where I keep my cups and Tupperware glasses. When opening any cabinet or the refrigerator after traveling, expect something to fall out and stand back so you don’t get hit. Also check out Pinterest, there are lots of RV storage idea pins there.
2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
2021 Ford F-250 Super Duty
OscarsMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:20 PM   #7

Wink

We use tension rods - note on these - you can get curtain tension rods in longer lengths to fit a double door refrig

I use bins or small plastic boxes in the refrig & freezer to keep items contained & if something does fall over, not a big mess to clean up as it is all contained in the box
russcat24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:44 PM   #8

We don't use the tension rods but we have have on our leaving camp checklist to ensure doors are latched. Coming open when forced to make a quick turn or swerve can make a mess.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:27 PM   #9

Purchased containers to fit exactly in our overhead bins ...store our dishes in one, food in the other. Nothing falls out & I just unload when we land while DH is setting up. Makes it very easy to bring back into the house to run thru the dishwasher & to fill back up for the next outing. Also use tension rods for frig & under sink stuff. Guess some of this will change if we ever go out for a longer time period (mostly a week or less right now)

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
I'm a fan of adjustable spring tension rods to hold everything in place in the fridge while travelling.

Tension rods found in hardware stores?
Old 04-02-2018, 02:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
We use the tension rods in some of the cabinets too. We also like that waffle looking shelf liner and cut it to cushion things (dishes, pots and pans, etc.) that tend to shift while traveling.

A few days before traveling, we freeze two partially filled plastic milk cartons with water. Then when we start the fridge, we put one in the freezer and one in the refrigerator. It helps them cool down quicker and in case of problems with the fridge ( running out of propane, forgetting to turn the fridge on, etc.), it'll help protect your food.

Ok, thanks.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittlecat View Post
I use tension rods in the fridge as well to help keep things from tumbling out when you open the fridge upon arrival. I also use the waffle looking shelf liner that can be cut to fit not only to set things on but also as a cushioning layer between plates (yes, I use real plates) as well as inside pots and pans so the inside of the pots aren't getting scratched if you have to stack them.

The other item I got that I really like is a small fridge fan (battery operated). I find that the fan helps to circulate air throughout the fridge and keeps the temp in the fridge a little more consistent throughout. The main thing with the fridge is to not overpack it if you don't have a house fridge in your camper. If air can't circulate in an RV fridge because it is stuffed to the gills with food items, it has a much harder time trying to keep the fridge compartment cool.

I've learned that sometimes it is easier to purchase cold food items when I get where I'm going rather than trying to bring absolutely everything I think I'll need.

Is a frig fan a particular fan or just any small battery operated fan?
Old 04-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

We don't use the rods, they turned out to be more pain than they were worth. But I have learned to pack the fridge expecting things to shift around. Therefore, I don't put the milk on the shelf, it goes on the door, where it can remain stable. I don't spread stuff around, I fill one shelf at a time and leave other shelves empty, that way, things don't have room to tip over.

It's also not unusual for us to travel with pretty much only the door full of stuff, and then buy fresh stuff at a grocery store closer to the campground. Since we live in a border community, 1/2 our camping is states side, and with the various regulations about what can and can't be brought, sometimes it's just easier to bring nothing.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapelape View Post
Tension rods found in hardware stores?
You can use those, but there are slightly beefier ones sold for the fridge in camping stores.

Bins are great. Also, I save up smaller sized bottles to carry liquids. For example, I buy large Coffeemate for home use but saved a small one for travel. Ditto for milk, cream, OJ, and condiments. I also use lots of Tupperware/Rubbermaid containers.
PNWTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:22 PM   #15

everything can be found on amazon! Look in the Camco parts to get the rods for the cabinets & the frig

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:33 PM   #16

Right. Search for 'tension rods' on Amazon. Be sure to get the right length. I agree with others that they don't seem necessary in indoor camping fridges. I've found them to be a necessity in my outdoor fridge that doesn't close with a latch.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWTraveler View Post
You can use those, but there are slightly beefier ones sold for the fridge in camping stores.

Bins are great. Also, I save up smaller sized bottles to carry liquids. For example, I buy large Coffeemate for home use but saved a small one for travel. Ditto for milk, cream, OJ, and condiments. I also use lots of Tupperware/Rubbermaid containers.

Good stuff there, thanks.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:22 PM   #18

Tension Rods
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:41 PM   #19

Bins. Sometimes I think DW's motto is "Thy goods shall not go unbinned."

Most of the hard items in cabinets go into bins, keeps things neat and organized.
I keep the stuff I need to set up in 2 water tight bins in the bed of the truck - Chocks, jack pads/levelers, power cord, fresh water hoses, water filter, etc. None of this needs to be stored inside the rig, and it frees up room inside for other stuff. Except for chairs, the patio rug and table that go where the outside TV and fridge used to live, if it's used outside it stays outside.

We only have one tension rod. It is a shower curtain rod that does double duty - when camped it stays in the shower to hang wet items. While using the shower the rod is moved out of the way to the back of the shower. When moving I put it in the closet against hangers to trap them against the closet pole. This keeps the hangers from coming off the pole while on the road.
Ozarkryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkryder View Post
Bins. Sometimes I think DW's motto is "Thy goods shall not go unbinned."

Most of the hard items in cabinets go into bins, keeps things neat and organized.
I keep the stuff I need to set up in 2 water tight bins in the bed of the truck - Chocks, jack pads/levelers, power cord, fresh water hoses, water filter, etc. None of this needs to be stored inside the rig, and it frees up room inside for other stuff. Except for chairs, the patio rug and table that go where the outside TV and fridge used to live, if it's used outside it stays outside.

We only have one tension rod. It is a shower curtain rod that does double duty - when camped it stays in the shower to hang wet items. While using the shower the rod is moved out of the way to the back of the shower. When moving I put it in the closet against hangers to trap them against the closet pole. This keeps the hangers from coming off the pole while on the road.

Good ideas.

Tags
refrigerator, storage