Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #1

Leaving TT parked at local park

I'm leaving my TT parked at a KOA on the coast for a few weeks. We'll be driving back and forth throughout that period but the TT will remain at the park. . I've never had any security issues there in the past but wonder what some of you do to deter possible break ins while you are away. Also, how do you leave the Rv set up while you are gone? Slides in or out? Do you leave any lights on in the unit? Lights on timers? Any help would be appreciated.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #2

I have a small battery powered motion detector alarm that easily covers the interior of my TT. If anything moves it sets off an ear splitting alarm. It doesn't deter a break in but it would put me on the move pretty quick...They're available on Amazon, eBay and Radio Shack for $20 - 30. I'd button up everything as tight as I could and wouldn't leave anything there I was really fond of...
Hudlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASPEDDLER View Post
I'm leaving my TT parked at a KOA on the coast for a few weeks. We'll be driving back and forth throughout that period but the TT will remain at the park. . I've never had any security issues there in the past but wonder what some of you do to deter possible break ins while you are away. Also, how do you leave the Rv set up while you are gone? Slides in or out? Do you leave any lights on in the unit? Lights on timers? Any help would be appreciated.
I would just lock everything, take in the obvious stuff like chairs. Big thinf to me is the awning. I would roll that up. I have seen people just drop it down, so the rain water won't collect, but unless it is tied down, that won't stop a good wind from getting under it.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post

I would just lock everything, take in the obvious stuff like chairs. Big thinf to me is the awning. I would roll that up. I have seen people just drop it down, so the rain water won't collect, but unless it is tied down, that won't stop a good wind from getting under it.
I agree on bringing in the awning, that's a must along with shutting off the water. I'm thinking ill just leave the slides out. Can't see any harm in doing so and it will provide additional space to bring things in. I have some timers I use for my Christmas lights each year, think ill hook them up to a lamp. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #5

Awnings are to be in when you leave the RV for any period of time, always. Please turn the water off and cut off the propane at the tank(s). Talk to the people next to and around you and tell them what you are doing, hopeful they will be there for a period of time. The RV park managment will have been told what you are doibg. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #6

We are in a seasonal campground and leave our trailer there year around. It is kind of obvious if there is no one staying in a camper. We roll the awning in and take anything of value with us computers camera's etc. We leave the slides out and water off. I also empty the black tank if going to be gone for some time. But do add some water and chemicals just to keep it fresh. We leave the gas on and the camper plugged in to keep the fridge on. But do remove anything that may spoil like milk or lunch meats. We leave the gas on in case the power goes out then the fridge will run on gas until it comes back on.
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote