The Baking Soda in the fridge was a marketing ploy by Arm and Hammer many years ago (in the 1930s). It does not and never has worked.
However, if you stop at an aquarium store and buy a bag of "activated" charcoal; that WILL work. In a pinch, charcoal "briquettes" will do to remove odors but the activated kind is way better.
To clean out and "de-stink" a fridge or freezer:
1) Remove what was causing the stink.
2) Wash the complete inside with 409 or other potent spray cleaner.
3) Make sure you get into all the crevases and drain lines.
4) Rinse with clean water and dry very well with paper towels.
5) Using flat aluminum trays (like cookie sheets), spread out the activated charcoal on the shelves or in the case of a chest freezer use wire shelving to make shelves.
6) close the lid and wait a week
The idea is to expose as much surface area of the charcoal to the atmosphere of the container as possible.
Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW