Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2019, 08:15 AM   #1
Pa Groundhog

Level or not level

Like most new campers, I have rain gutters. I noticed the front end of the gutter will drain water down past the storage compartment door. If the wind blows or the camper is not level side to side, it will run right over the door. My BIL's does the same thing. I always keep the front a little higher so the water runs off the back. Just FYI stuff in case somebody didn't notice it.
PaGroundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:27 AM   #2

Slight pitch front to back, has always been beneficial to me for rain running towards the rear. I've found it keeps me from having black streaks.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:13 PM   #3

That is a good idea to tip front end up a bit.

As many times as we have camped in the rain, it is a mess trying to get anything in or out of front storage with the rain gutters spewing the run off right at the storage doors...
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:51 PM   #4

what's rain?
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:38 PM   #5
Kasual Kamper

Level or not level

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaGroundhog View Post
I always keep the front a little higher so the water runs off the back. Just FYI stuff in case somebody didn't notice it.

I take it you're talking about when you're not camping in the unit, right? Otherwise, you want it level so that everything works properly. I noticed I get dripped on whenever I try to access my storage compartment whenever it rains or my air conditioner condensates.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
I take it you're talking about when you're not camping in the unit, right? Otherwise, you want it level so that everything works properly. I noticed I get dripped on whenever I try to access my storage compartment whenever it rains or my air conditioner condensates.
Actually, being half a degree or so off won't impact how things work but it will definitely direct the water to run down hill. Our front gutter empties out right above the windows so if we are in rain country, I'll go a bit nose high.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #7

I'm with larry2c on amount of lift needed. Folks don't realize how little uplift or lowering it takes to make water run in any direction you'd like.

Nothing lasts forever, So live it up,laugh it off, take chances, & never have regrets, because at one point, everything you did was exactly what you wanted.
GlowPlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:08 PM   #8

Camping, Driveway....I've always set mine so A/C water, rain water always runs to the rear driverside corner. Keeps the mess away from where we are usually at. Don't think I've ever set our TT's perfectly level..."so everything works." It's always worked. A/C, Frig (gas or elec side) never been an issue.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:32 PM   #9

LOL funny stuff right there

Quote:
Like most new campers, I have rain gutters. I noticed the front end of the gutter will drain water down past the storage compartment door. If the wind blows or the camper is not level side to side, it will run right over the door. My BIL's does the same thing. I always keep the front a little higher so the water runs off the back. Just FYI stuff in case somebody didn't notice it.

That's great. Funny that I have not had that problem because our bed is in the front and we always pitch the TT a little to the rear so our heads are higher.

Thank's for the Great Tip

campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:29 PM   #10
Fla5er

Be careful about how much to pitch the TT, especially if equipped with slides. Bad news if they bind!
FlaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:47 PM   #11

I too tip towards the rear while camping. It drips on my front compartment doors and I dont like getting wet from rain or AC condensation. My bed is at the front.

i found that when in storage my awning will retain water and dirt leading to dirt stripes and mold stripes so I tip it a bit further in storage.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
I too tip towards the rear while camping. It drips on my front compartment doors and I dont like getting wet from rain or AC condensation. My bed is at the front.

i found that when in storage my awning will retain water and dirt leading to dirt stripes and mold stripes so I tip it a bit further in storage.
Yeah...I go Nose Down when I store it for winter. Lets the snowmelt run off faster.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:12 AM   #13

Talking Dead level

Quote:
I personally like my camper dead level. Nothing drives me more crazy when interior doors swing open or closed by themselves due to a tilted camper. My wife likes to cook on a level surface too. I guess when it comes to my background of building houses for 40 years ......needs to be plum and level.
RD Podders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:46 PM   #14

You can buy extensions which clip on and they actually stay on at freeway speeds and rough roads. They direct streams of downspout water away from the sides of your unit quite effectively.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:13 PM   #15
Site Team

If it's raining and I'm getting into my storage compartment, I'm already getting wet. I'm not worried about a few more drops from the gutter.

Although I think on mine the spout is far enough away that it doesn't really affect me.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:22 PM   #16

Always slightly to the rear and slightly to the drivers side. Sometimes need to adjust to make the water run but more for the ac condensation so we don't have wet dirt right by the front door when it's not raining.
Ole_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:34 PM   #17

I find a strange sense of satisfaction when it rains and all 4 corners are draining the same.......

See Ya' on the road
Oldewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:42 PM   #18
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldewing View Post
I find a strange sense of satisfaction when it rains and all 4 corners are draining the same.......
I find it satisfying when my camper is set up near tent campers in the pouring rain knowing my bathroom is only a few feet away and I don't have to grab an umbrella or a pair of shoes to use it.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote