Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2016, 06:41 AM   #1

Leveling idea - seems simple enough

My wife recently spent some time in the hospital, (she is fine now). While there I noticed these simple leveling devices on the hospital bed itself, and I started to think why is something like this not built into the campers themselves? They could be built in to show level front to back and side to side somewhere on the tongue or on the front of the camper. They would not be curved like they are on the side of the hospital bed but straight so the ball bearing would roll from one side to the other, level would be dead center. Instead having to buy those liquid filed ones that have a bubble that you have to mount somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leveling1.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	97187  
paulmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:49 AM   #2

if they did put them on, they would probably be crooked anyhow. Best off getting what you like and mounting it where it works for you.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:14 AM   #3
Ambassador

They make these to stick on already. I saw them on amazon.

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:23 AM   #4

the type that's on the bed has to be curved, otherwise, if you were 1 degree off level, the ball would be at one end or the other. There are plenty of good ones available now in different styles and sizes.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
What you describe does exist in the aftermarket. I have one made by Hopkins (Hoppy) on our trailer. It is designed large so it is visible from the drivers seat via the rear view mirror when parking. I love the idea/theory, but in practice have found that the ball is "sticky" and does not move unless you change the angle several degrees or tap the level. I have jacked one side high enough to remove the wheel/tire for maintenance and had the ball not budge.

It is liquid filled and I have considered mounting it upside down so I can try just using the air bubble instead. I have a feeling it would be far more precise, but probably not as easily seen through the mirror.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #6

I have a large curved level with a metal ball mounted above my propane tanks that I can see from the driver's seat. I also have Anderson levelers that I insert under the tires on the low side. I can then pull forward until the ball is centered. I'm then good for left to right. I then use my electric jack to level front to back with the secondary bubble level. Disconnect and I'm done.
johng4706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmac View Post
My wife recently spent some time in the hospital, (she is fine now). While there I noticed these simple leveling devices on the hospital bed itself, and I started to think why is something like this not built into the campers themselves? They could be built in to show level front to back and side to side somewhere on the tongue or on the front of the camper. They would not be curved like they are on the side of the hospital bed but straight so the ball bearing would roll from one side to the other, level would be dead center. Instead having to buy those liquid filed ones that have a bubble that you have to mount somewhere.
I have a level that levels side to side with a aprox. 1 " ball and a level on it that gives front to back 25$ at my RV dealer
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling