Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2017, 05:29 PM   #1

Lifted my trailer

Since I can’t go camping (work is getting in the way) I figured since the weather was nice ( 84 degrees yesterday and snow in the forecast for today, you gotta love Denver) I would lift my trailer so it wouldn’t drag backing into my driveway. Bought 3” tube, cut it and drilled and bolted it on. Took about 3 hours. Cost $45.00 with $23.00 being bolts from Ace Hardware. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0454.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	377.1 KB
ID:	155059. Before

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0481.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	382.9 KB
ID:	155061
After
Old 10-26-2017, 06:05 PM   #2
Casey & Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieguy View Post
Since I can’t go camping (work is getting in the way) I figured since the weather was nice ( 84 degrees yesterday and snow in the forecast for today, you gotta love Denver) I would lift my trailer so it wouldn’t drag backing into my driveway. Bought 3” tube, cut it and drilled and bolted it on. Took about 3 hours. Cost $45.00 with $23.00 being bolts from Ace Hardware. Attachment 155059. Before

Attachment 155061
After
Could you please post pics of the actual lift you put in it. i.e. The blocks and bolts. I need to do this to my fifth wheel and am looking at options.
Thanks
2018 Ram 3500 4x4 CC Cummins Powered
Casey r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:38 PM   #3

I didn't take any pictures. I take one in the morning if there isn't too much snow. If you watch this: dexter torsion axle lift blocks - Bing video
It's using the etrailer kit. IF you don't have a way to cut and drill the metal it's not a bad way to go. You get the main idea of what you need to do.
I picked up some 2x3" tube (1/4" thick is what I found) at a metal junk yard. Cost me $20. for 8'.
Jack up the trailer from the frame and support it. I put a mark on the axle plate to the trailer so I put the axle in the same spot. Put the jack under an axle and remove the 2 bolts.
Cut the tube to the same size as the axle plate that was attached to the trailer. Sit the tube on the axle plate. Raise the axle up into position and mark the bottom holes to the axle and the side holes to the trailer. Drill the holes and install it. Do this 4 times and you are done.
I had noticed that the left side tires were closer together that the other side. I did some measuring and moved the left side axle back 1/4". This should align them.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #4
Casey & Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieguy View Post
I didn't take any pictures. I take one in the morning if there isn't too much snow. If you watch this: dexter torsion axle lift blocks - Bing video
It's using the etrailer kit. IF you don't have a way to cut and drill the metal it's not a bad way to go. You get the main idea of what you need to do.
I picked up some 2x3" tube (1/4" thick is what I found) at a metal junk yard. Cost me $20. for 8'.
Jack up the trailer from the frame and support it. I put a mark on the axle plate to the trailer so I put the axle in the same spot. Put the jack under an axle and remove the 2 bolts.
Cut the tube to the same size as the axle plate that was attached to the trailer. Sit the tube on the axle plate. Raise the axle up into position and mark the bottom holes to the axle and the side holes to the trailer. Drill the holes and install it. Do this 4 times and you are done.
I had noticed that the left side tires were closer together that the other side. I did some measuring and moved the left side axle back 1/4". This should align them.

Thanks. I watched the video and it pertains to torsion style suspension. I have leaf spring. But I do appreciate your response.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey r View Post
Thanks. I watched the video and it pertains to torsion style suspension. I have leaf spring. But I do appreciate your response.

I helped my son lift his popup with springs. You have to pull the axle(s). You have to weld on new spring perches to the axle to bolt the springs on to and turn the entire axle around to keep the tow in correct. Someone has just flipped the axles over and it was chewing up his tires.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Is the spring ontop or under the axle
If the spring is ontop of the axle simple lift blocks will do
If the spring is under then you need to do a spring over conversion
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #7
Casey & Carolyn

The axle is under the spring
Old 10-28-2017, 07:02 PM   #8

Quote:
The axle is under the spring
https://www.suspensionconnection.com...4aAlcfEALw_wcB

Just need the right width to match your springs
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:28 PM   #9
Casey & Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkjr72 View Post
https://www.suspensionconnection.com...4aAlcfEALw_wcB

Just need the right width to match your springs
Thanks for the info. I had only been able to find tappered ones.

Tags
lift, trailer