Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2018, 11:13 PM   #1

Liquor bottle storage ideas

I have a standard cabinet that I’d like to be the bar cabinet and typically travel with 3 or 4 various liquor bottles aboard. But how can make this both safe during travel and attractive when at camp.

I am considering making my own leaning rack with concaved top edge but maybe there is a simpler solution from the experts here?

Thanks in advance for any tips / tricks
JPWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:11 AM   #2

Maybe line the racks with rubber drawer liner. Bungee cord or velcro over the top for transport.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:29 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You can get a wine case to keep bottles in for going down the road. i will often use packs of soda or water bottles to hold things in place. Also, get plastic bottles instead of glass whenever possible. the rubber liners keep things from sliding not tipping over.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPWhit View Post
I have a standard cabinet that I’d like to be the bar cabinet and typically travel with 3 or 4 various liquor bottles aboard. But how can make this both safe during travel and attractive when at camp.

I am considering making my own leaning rack with concaved top edge but maybe there is a simpler solution from the experts here?

Start with the 3 or 4 bottle types/shapes you want to stay with. Line them up in the order you wish and measure the length of the line, add what ever dimension you need for an upright at each end and to fit into the cabinet you desire. Cut a bottom board, add a second board on top of that with cutouts for the bottle bottoms to fit in. Now, make a 3rd board with holes for the bottles to fit down through. Attach the ends and you should have something the bottles can fit into without any problem. Now, that's the simple part ~ expand on that for shape, type of wood, color, finish and so on. Can be hinged to lay out forward with a lock when in upright position if desired.

Remember, you can always refill the bottles which you have made the rack for ~ so you definitely can stay with the original bottles of your choice.

Many years ago, I made something similar as a stand-up rifle rack and added felt between the 2 bottom boards before securing them together.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by extxn View Post
Start with the 3 or 4 bottle types/shapes you want to stay with. Line them up in the order you wish and measure the length of the line, add what ever dimension you need for an upright at each end and to fit into the cabinet you desire. Cut a bottom board, add a second board on top of that with cutouts for the bottle bottoms to fit in. Now, make a 3rd board with holes for the bottles to fit down through. Attach the ends and you should have something the bottles can fit into without any problem. Now, that's the simple part ~ expand on that for shape, type of wood, color, finish and so on. Can be hinged to lay out forward with a lock when in upright position if desired.

Remember, you can always refill the bottles which you have made the rack for ~ so you definitely can stay with the original bottles of your choice.

Many years ago, I made something similar as a stand-up rifle rack and added felt between the 2 bottom boards before securing them together.

I think this is the route I’m headed. Thanks! I’ll post a picture when done which might be a few weeks till I get to it.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:44 PM   #6

We have a leather foot stool that will hold Lg bottles..It has a removable top..Got it at Wally Mart..About 18" sq
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:07 PM   #7

So the real question is to me is: How do you keep the liquor from getting too hot while on the road? When it gets over 110 degrees, I bet some of the complex molecules start breaking down. Wide temp swings is going to cause wine to expand and contract, possibly drawing air thru the cork and start the oxidation process.
I keep wine and whiskey in the fridge, to the DW's displeasure, since the stuff takes up precious fridge room.
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC75 View Post
So the real question is to me is: How do you keep the liquor from getting too hot while on the road? When it gets over 110 degrees, I bet some of the complex molecules start breaking down. Wide temp swings is going to cause wine to expand and contract, possibly drawing air thru the cork and start the oxidation process.
I keep wine and whiskey in the fridge, to the DW's displeasure, since the stuff takes up precious fridge room.
Sorry, just couldn't resist.
I don't understand about wine & liquor getting or being in temps over 110*F. If wine has a cork, I always thought it should be stored with the bottle on it's side to prevent the cork from drying out.
I surely do not understand about liquor being exposed to such a high heat unless purchasing large amounts and not consumed within a timely fashion. After all, I mean ~ how is are the spirits transported to our local stores for us to purchase?
Have never seen refrigerated liquor haulers, but maybe I'm not looking that close. Keep DW happy and store your brew in a cooler instead of the fridge.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:49 PM   #9
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:

So far the advice has been good, rubber non-slip mats on the shelves stop things sliding around, bungee cords help to contain them upright. I also use very thin MDF sheets cut into sections with notches so they slot together to make dividers, like you see in crates and other packaging. I started by using cardboard but eventually went to the more robust MDF. This stops the bottles from crashing into each other. All the pantry shelves have this arrangement. I also have foam containers/boxes/crates (like those that fruit and vege come to shops in and with a lid) as a container/cellar, with high density foam rubber as dividers, parked under the bed, with cleats on the floor to act as placement devices to stop the cellar from sliding around. This is the driest, coolest and most stable place in the van, which is what wine needs. The can storage is next to the 'wine cellar'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Under-bed Storage.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	159497  
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:50 PM   #10

Travelling with liquors and wine made easy.

Get an empty box from your local liquor store and pack your bottles in.

After all, that's the way they travel all over the world.
HerveVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:54 AM   #11

You just have to drink faster! LOL.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by extxn View Post
Sorry, just couldn't resist.
I don't understand about wine & liquor getting or being in temps over 110*F. If wine has a cork, I always thought it should be stored with the bottle on it's side to prevent the cork from drying out.
I surely do not understand about liquor being exposed to such a high heat unless purchasing large amounts and not consumed within a timely fashion. After all, I mean ~ how is are the spirits transported to our local stores for us to purchase?
Have never seen refrigerated liquor haulers, but maybe I'm not looking that close. Keep DW happy and store your brew in a cooler instead of the fridge.

All good points. We did a Kentucky whisky tour last year and bought a few bottles of fine whiskey. We were on the road for 3 months. Could not consume all that whiskey, no matter how hard I tried. Plus, I had to save some of them.
On a hot sunny day, in Texas or even Arkansas last year, the outside temp was 105. Inside the rig had hit 135 during travel.
So why do people store their wines in cellars and wine fridges, and not in their garage, since nothing bad can happen to them with a cork in it on its side? I suppose it is best to buy wine in those boxes with spigots guaranteed not to go bad.
RE: Keep DW happy and store your brew in a cooler instead of the fridge.
The cooler, yes... that is where fine beer resides. Stone Brewing company, makes a beer that is best transported cold, with aptly named beer for me called Arrogant Bastard.
I believe I may have to buy a yeti like cooler for my tiny companions this year as my storage idea.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:19 AM   #13

On a less sarcastic note. I use old (clean) crew or tube socks and place the bottles inside them. That way they do not break when they get banged around during travel. Plus the neck of the socks make a good carrying handle.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerveVR View Post

That's what we use, works great. It can be slid out of the cabinet to select what bottle you want, if it starts to wear out just ask for another.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:53 PM   #15

Quote:

A few years ago I wondered about the same thing. Then I stopped drinking. Problem solved.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:49 PM   #16

Liquor bottle storage ideas

I just finished my project. I bought a simple wooden crate for $9 at Lowe’s which fits almost perfectly in my cabinet space. We removed some of the slats and used them as bottle dividers that slide depending on bottle size. I was going to cut concave holding spots for the necks of the bottles but we tend to drink different things depending on occasion.

This should be safe during transport, look great in the Cabinet and can easily be pulled down when entertaining outside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C563E9FD-52C4-4921-ABCA-F5E8A858F360.jpg
Views:	2202
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	159568
Old 01-03-2018, 10:58 PM   #17
Wrench Turnin Fool

I just always make sure to empty the bottle once it's opened, then I never have to travel very far with them. 😀

2001 Coleman SantaFe pop up
Excited new owner of 2018 Arctic Wolf 315TBH8
Towing with a 2005 F-250 5.4 GASSER
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:59 PM   #18
Wrench Turnin Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerveVR View Post

You sir... Are a genius

2001 Coleman SantaFe pop up
Excited new owner of 2018 Arctic Wolf 315TBH8
Towing with a 2005 F-250 5.4 GASSER
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:10 PM   #19
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

Anyone own a swimming pool - know how you wind up with a collection of stray towels and swimsuits?

We somehow wind up with stray bottles of liquor in our RV. To the point where we give the cheap stuff away !

In the old coach, the liquor cabinet took up 1/4 of the under dinette bench seating. Ya gotta have a well rounded supply for company, right? We simply stood the bottles cheek to jowl filling the area with the slack space taken by the tool boxes. The new coach has a larger dinette allowing the collection to expand.
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:28 PM   #20

Quote:
I just finished my project. I bought a simple wooden crate for $9 at Lowe’s which fits almost perfectly in my cabinet space. We removed some of the slats and used them as bottle dividers that slide depending on bottle size. I was going to cut concave holding spots for the necks of the bottles but we tend to drink different things depending on occasion.

This should be safe during transport, look great in the Cabinet and can easily be pulled down when entertaining outside.

Attachment 159568

Your craftsman skills are just fine ~ Cheers

Tags
storage