Old 07-26-2011, 09:56 AM   #1

looking for info on cleaning/waxing the metal siding

I read the thread on cleaning fiberglass trailers.. knew of some of those brands mentioned/recommended.

my wildwood has the metal (aluminum i think) siding on it.

I've cleaned it well using meguairs nxt car wash.. came up great, much better than it was.

I have some staining from dirt/water that I'm looking to remove, then wax/polish it.

before I try anything I'd figure i'd ask before I try something that might damage the finish

thanks

Old 07-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #2

someone here at work recommended spray nine for the stains.

comments?

Old 07-31-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
Boondocker

You can use Black Streak Remover for the really stubborn stains but be careful because if you spray it on and leave, it it will remove the paint! Spray some onto a cloth and work the area in question. Once it is all clean add your favourite wax and you will be good to go.

BC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #4

try MEAN GREEN cleaner. There is nothing like it to clean black streaks. It is the best of the best. I dont know if this cleaner is avaliable in the US.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #5

thanks ...

actually, the last couple of days i was going to buy that mean green. was told it works like spray nine but smells better and is usually cheaper.
after seeing it at walmart i read the bottle and it stated do NOT use on automotive finishes. to me that meant there might be something in it that could screw up the finish, rather than take a chance I grabbed a bottle of spray nine... tested a small area on the trailer last night and it seemed to work great.

i looked at the rv black streak remover here at the park in the little store .. never knew it existed, someone in the store came over and quietly said .. don't waste that much money, use spray nine. didn't know the person and never said that's what I was going to try.

capucine... can you 100% confirm that the mean green won't dull ... if i can find a 4L jug .. I'd rather the lemony scent and be able to use it for my car interiors too
Old 08-01-2011, 06:11 PM   #6

I tried it several times on my ninilite and there is no damages on the finish. And also I tried spray nine and it is not as good as mean green. Of course right after you use these products you rinse right away. You dont let it dry on the fiberglass. There is 2 kind of mean green you can buy. I use the heavy duty which is about a buck more expensive than the regular. I give a coat of wax twice a year on the finish. I use star brite marine fiberglass wax. This is a super wax and very easy to buff . The shine is terrific.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:28 AM   #7

well, before I left the trailer yesterday I tried a small area with the spray nine and it did what I hoped it would.. removed the black, if done by hand with a microfibre cloth. when tested on a larger area by spraying on, wiping and then rinsing .. some of the white finish came off, not much.. but some did

looks like i'll give your mean green a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capucine View Post
You dont let it dry on the fiberglass. There is 2 kind of mean green you can buy. I use the heavy duty which is about a buck more expensive than the regular. I give a coat of wax twice a year on the finish. I use star brite marine fiberglass wax.
or not.. back to my original post. my trailer is metal sided .. not fiberglass. so it seems we're comparing apples to oranges.

looks like bc camper stated what the key is.... use a rag/cloth/towel .. wipe, remove. do not spray right on the finish

i already have my finishing wax.. i'm either going to use a carnuba liquid wax that I have or an aerosol carnuba wax called fukken wax. my issue is the black marks being removed before wax.

thanks again for the input
Old 08-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #8

Depending on how long the black streaks have been on Protect All can clean.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #9

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodstock View Post
I read the thread on cleaning fiberglass trailers.. knew of some of those brands mentioned/recommended.

my wildwood has the metal (aluminum i think) siding on it.

I've cleaned it well using meguairs nxt car wash.. came up great, much better than it was.

I have some staining from dirt/water that I'm looking to remove, then wax/polish it.

before I try anything I'd figure i'd ask before I try something that might damage the finish

thanks

A friend of mine bought the black streak remover and said that it didn't do anythig. I myself usually wash my TT after every trip and there really isn't much black streaking on it at all and I live in a city that has a steel mill that is pretty much a stones throw away from my house(a few blocks away) which produces a lot of black like sought. I have heard that "spic n span" works great but have never used it myself and I don't know what it would do to the finish of the siding. I also use maguiars conditioning car wash to clean the TT. While the TT sits in my driveway between outings I just keep an eye on the black streak and clean it as I see it and don't let it get bad or it is harder to remove it. Once you can get a good waxing done on it that will make the cleaning of the blak streaks much easier!!

HAPPY CAMPING "EH" !!!!
shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #10

Awesome that you can buy a dollar works the best for me, just remember to dilute it, its worked great taking off black streaks from my camper