Old 01-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #21
Originally Posted by RoadTrip View Post
Always happy to serve as the beacon on the trail of what not to do.

WOW, my deep thought for the month--maybe the year!! Very well stated! Been there myself.

2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2006 Dodge Durango Hemi 5.7
Equal-i-zer WDH
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #22
Originally Posted by caper View Post
I have worked with locks for over 10 years (Kwikset). I would never use WD40. Dry graphite is the only thing needed. It is a good idea to lube the pin area several times a year. You can spray a silicon spray into the latch area of the lock to keep it free. If you find the door hard to close try lubricating the latch area of the lock. A RV tech told me that this area should he lubricated once a month.
Just a reminder there are no pins in these locks they are cheap brass "dic Tumblers", they are flat and thin and can be damage easy, lubrication is one thing but keeping them clean and dry is another. To spray anothing in the keyway is not the right thing to do, all ways apply it to the key then insert it into the keyway and move it in and out a few times til it moves freely, you do not need to flood the cylinder, by flooding the cylinder causes a mess all over the door around the lock.....Example: Our electrical engineer at work ran a call about a lock the\at was not operating properly, after his attemp he called me to help........Ok you may be asking yourself why would he call me well he knows that I am a licensed and bonded locksmith and have the proper tools but this is not my primary job, well to make a long story short he thought that if he applied WD-40 to the lock everything would be ok.... It wasn't WD-40 that was needed but he thought so, he used so much it was running out from the lock and down the door, well needless to say the problem with the lock was not that it needed lubrication it needed to be replaced one of the screws were strip out because someone used the wrong tool to install the lock and it just happen to be a bathroom lock.....YES the customer was lock in the bathroom and could not get out with out help. If you want to do things on your own either ask someone that knows or check the enternet. I am sure this is where herk gets his info if he does not no. One dose not have a plumber do electrical work unless he is trained to do so and that is the way it is in all trades.

rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
I've always used Lock-Ease.
Bought some of this from Amazon to try on my compartment locks. Greatest stuff since sliced bread. One shot in lock leaves a graphite coating in lock. Somehow they have the Graphite dissolved in a solvent that evaporates and leaves the Graphite. Keys now slide in easily and locks turn smoothly.
Wayne & Susan Biloxi,Ms
2012 GeorgeTown 351DS...2014 Ford Explorer/Brake Buddy
FROG Member
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #24
lube them locks up

I have always lubed my locks
never had a problem with one of them
have seen many cut off
due to no lube
only takes a year or two for them not to work right

it used to make me mad at work
when trying to enter a worksite
key would not work
due to on site person not lubing their locks

Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #25
Graduate Member
One last follow up in my role as example of the path you shouldn't take - don't use slide lube.

When the temp is below freezing, slide lube stiffens the lock. Just went back and redid everything with lock-eaze.

--2009 Sunseeker 2860DS (Class C)
- one Hotwife, and two boys under 2(with one on the way!)
2013 - 53 days
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #26
I spoke to the locksmith at my work location today. He said graphite powder was good and used to be the recommended method of keeping locks running smoothly. The downside is that it is messy (being a dark powder) and over time it does clog the mechanism. He now recommends Teflon powder - even gave me a tube. This isn't going to leave a grey/black stain mark on your hands and clothes and doesn't bung up the lock. It isn't cheap and is usually only found at proper locksmith shops.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #27
Lock Ease is also sold at NAPA stores. I've been using this stuff for years, on locks too. We have some of those four dial Master locks on our range gates and they get a lot of use. They are also on some very dusty roads. About every 3-4 months, I put a shot of Lock Ease down inside them. I bet the other range members don't even know why our locks work so well.

This suspended graphite solution is some of the best stuff I've found, but you'll need a paper towel to catch the run out. Just something to remember when you use it. I saw now they have an aerosol version. My little blue bottle is probably 7-8 years old and is only about half gone.

2008 Toy Tundra DC 5.7L Bagged w/LTs
Hensley Arrow
2012 Windjammer 3001W, Atriumed
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote