Old 08-20-2015, 12:22 AM   #1

magnetic switch controls LED cabinet lighting

I always hate having to grab a flashlight to find something in the cabinets. I finally decided to install some LED lights controlled my magnetic switches in two of my cabinets. I will do more as I get time.

These magnetic switches are rated for 1/2 amp of current. I read many reviews of many magnetic switches complaining that they only work a few times, then they either won't light or won't turn off. The key is to NOT draw more current through the switch then it can handle and these switches handles about as much current as I could find... 500mA. Many switches of this type are only rate for 100 to 200 mA. My current design pulls 145mA at 12VDC.

Reed Switch and Magnet Assembly

I used two different LED lights in this install.

this is a 12" strip of bright white LEDS that pull 100mA. I mounted these vertically next to the door hinge area and it puts out quite a bit of light in the corner cabinet of my SHamrock 183.

12" 12 Volt DC Flexible LED Light Strips - White | NL-512CB-WH (NL512CBWH) | Distributed By MCM

this is a much smaller package of 3 white LEDs that only pull 45mA. I put this behind the door under the front bunk that leads to the front storage area.

3 Pure White LED Project Lighting Module | 11-2934 (112934) | Distributed By MCM

I got lazy and took power from a 500mA 12 VDC/120VAC transformer plugged into nearby outlet. I did not feel like I wanted this to draw from the battery 12VDC, as we normally camp with an electrical hookup anyway.

I will probably put another 3 LED package on this circuit further into that storage area which will pull 190 mA total.

Below is a very simplified circuit diagram of the circuitry I used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED MAP.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	86276  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

Do you happen to have any install pics? Where you mounted things and whatnot?

I would LOVE to do this to a handful of cabinets!

Old 08-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #3
Site Team

I installed LED strips in the pantry and closets and license plate lights ( see below) in other storage areas. I used toggle and rocker switches ( vs magnetic switches) as I leave my pantry and closet doors open when sitting between trips to prevent mold ( dehumidifier in use). I mounted the LED strips using 3M auto trim tape vs the adhesive backing on the strips as it holds up better in hot weather ( trailer closed up when not in use). The license plate lights mount easily with tape or small screws, are very bright, and inexpensive.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:41 AM   #4

I used the reed switch in my outside storage doors. I used a short string of 5050 white LEDs. I have a switch on each (two) door and a master toggle switch so if I leave the doors open I can switch the lights off.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:15 PM   #5

ependydad

there is not much to this install
As I noted in the OP I used a transformer to power this setup, therefore it only works when hooked to shore power which is good for me... no need for a cutoff switch, although the transformer wire at this time just runs into the cabinet door opening.

the first picture shows the mod I made to open up the front panel near the top of the cabinet and give me a shelf

I had to move the electrical outlet from that panel to the left of the cabinet

the second pic shows the magnetic switch mounting on the door... the 12" strip of lights run down the side of the cabinet, the second 3 LED panel is around the corner to the left and light also when this door is open.

Wiring is tucked up high and out of the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fr01.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	86326   Click image for larger version

Name:	fr02.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	86327  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:28 PM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

Thanks rsdata! Good info.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:33 PM   #7
2016 Avenger 26BH

For my LED lighting I used micro switches I p/u at a surplus store for $1.40 CAD each. I didn't have much luck sticking the 3m tape onto the paneling for whatever reason, so I mounted the LED strips to a piece of trim first and screwed that into the paneling.

Tags
led, light