Old 08-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #1

Maintenance and Service

We have a Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s for a little over a year now. There doesn't appear to be any problems, but we have used it quite a bit. Do you recommend we take it in for a checkup? Right now our options are a one man shop who has worked on our hitch, the dealership where we bought it, or Camping World.

Is there a recommended maintenance. We hear different things from the different shops..... Thanks for any guidance.

tmlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:23 AM   #2

If you are a little handy most things are DIY. Start on the roof and work your way down checking for things that don't look right (loose screws, cracked caulking, eat.) correct what ever you find. Use compressed air and blow out the dust from your frig, water heater and furnace, check the condition of your tires and inflation and check the lug nuts check your the condition of your propane pigtail. I should have said wash the rig top to bottom before starting your checks. You different manuals should cover what the mfg recommends for maintenance its all easy just takes a little time.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:36 AM   #3

We've had ours for about 27 months and I'm taking it in for a reseal. The caulking and dicor are starting to crack. I suck at caulking, so I'll pay the professionals.
Days Camped in 2017: 71
Days Camped in 2018: 37
Days Camped in 2019: 15
bshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:07 AM   #4

We aren’t very handy. ;-)

We keep hearing we should have the bearings checked. Does that sound right? We are looking at almost $300 just to “check” out the rig, not including any work that might be needed.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:20 AM   #5

x2 on the DIY. You will save lots of money if you can do most yourself. The website changingears.com is a great informational spot, the included checklists section is a good reference. Some of the info won't apply but use one of them as a general template and modify it to suit. Like bshort said, If there are things you don't feel comfortable doing, then go to a pro for it. But, I would RV out of the back of my truck with a sleeping bag again, before I darken the door of a CW.
Bearings, yes about what I heard once. Depends on the miles you have on your camper. Crawl under and see if there are grease fittings.

'17 Coachmen Chaparral
'17 Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Retired & Full Timer
KI4OVB
68 Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlogo View Post
We aren’t very handy. ;-)

We keep hearing we should have the bearings checked. Does that sound right? We are looking at almost $300 just to “check” out the rig, not including any work that might be needed.
Unfortunately, a blown rear seal on a wheel bearing can ruin your whole day. A blown rear seal is likely to mess up your trailer brakes, and could (not likely) cause a bearing failure. And there is no real way to check unless you pull the wheel and rear seal. Once you are into replacing the rear seal, you should repack the bearings with fresh grease. It's a messy job - probably the one I hate worst. And if the job is not done right - brakes adjusted, rear seal seated, wheel bearings seated, nut set correctly - you are no better off than before you started the job.

How often should bearings/brakes be checked? Anytime brakes are not working correctly and/or bearing is running hot and/or wheel has excessive play. If everything is staying good, I think a 3 year interval is OK - assumes less than 8K miles per year. I've gone 4 years between repacks/brake adjustments without issues (less than 25K total miles) but I don't recommend it.

Given the lack of quality control in the trailer build, I keep telling myself I should do the wheel bearings and brakes on my 2019 just to see what the factory did or didn't do.

$300 for 4 wheels done properly is the top end of reasonable to me. But that includes replacing rear seal, bearing repack, and brake adjustment.

just my thoughts and experiences
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:15 AM   #7

Thank you for your thoughts!
Old 09-08-2018, 09:55 PM   #8

Plus, doing it yourself gives you experience with your rig. If something breaks on a trip, you might have the experience to diagnose and fix the problem yourself. Also to know a bit to help with knowing if someone is trying to rip you off.

Just saying...

Bill
wjgri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:10 PM   #9

If you aren't very handy, or just don't want to do it, take it to the one man shop you have had success with.

The items I check yearly without fail are roof, hitch, bearings/brakes/suspension. I also go through the whole RV just tightening things. Amazing what comes loose while bouncing down the road.

I always repack my bearings and inspect/adjust brakes once a year. Might be overkill, but it's my time, effort, and peace of mind. I certainly would not go over two years between repacks. Nothing worse than having a wheel problem while on a trip. Makes any maintenance very cheap

And certainly it's great if you can DIY, but definitely not a necessity. I have several friends that have a trusted RV service shop handle all maintenance for them.

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, service